Sponsored

Has anyone with a faulty Jeep been offered a buyback from FCA?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah man, it's frustrating. It's definitely a lot of hoops to jump through for the buy back stuff. I may end up trading mine in as well if this Jeep continues to give me issues and FCA gives me no other options to get out of it. I want to have trust in my new vehicle and right now, I do not.
I did not have trust in the Compass I got rid of, it only had 5500 miles on it but I was always waiting for the next rabbit to pop out of the hat so to speak with it, I was always looking and temp gages while rolling down the road and with a brand new vehicle you are supposed to be enjoying it not worrying if it’s going to leave you stranded

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't Lite Brite on YouTube go through a buyback with their JL Rubicon? Seems like they ended up with another new JL Rubicon in 4-6 weeks time.
You are correct, it's @Kevin8086 Jeep. I don't know if he can comment but from what I remember he had a major steering problem and the software fix had not been created yet so they took it back and gave him a new one.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Didn't Lite Brite on YouTube go through a buyback with their JL Rubicon? Seems like they ended up with another new JL Rubicon in 4-6 weeks time.
You are correct, it's @Kevin8086 Jeep. I don't know if he can comment but from what I remember he had a major steering problem and the software fix had not been created yet so they took it back and gave him a new one.
Yeah, but they also have an audience and videos with significant viewership. If they didn't have a YouTube channel, I can almost guarantee you FCA's response would've been much different.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, but they also have an audience and videos with significant viewership. If they didn't have a YouTube channel, I can almost guarantee you FCA's response would've been much different.
They got that audience because of the JL and the buyback. Prior to owning the JL, I don't think they had any subscribers hardly at all.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
They got that audience because of the JL and the buyback. Prior to owning the JL, I don't think they had any subscribers hardly at all.
Not sure if you are right or wrong, but I had the same thought about their 'status.' I do not know them at all and they seem like a great fun couple who love their Jeep. Unfortunately I tend to agree with Spank on this one. My gut tells me that if it were you or me, all things being equal with Jeep problems, no new JL would have been issued by now. All these freakin issues and the ONLY customers to get a replacement is the one with the most followers on YT. C'mon!

Oh by the way, just to emphasize, I do love my Indominus.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not talking exclusively about their YouTube numbers. Their subscriber count is largely irrelevant. Their videos were popular here and on other Jeep communities well before the buyback, specifically the ones where they were beating the shit out of the thing on the trail.

Suffice to say, Jeep took care of them to make themselves look good, not because they care about the customer or because it was the right thing to do. It's no different than the "JeepCares" PR machine. If dealerships and their service personnel cared about customers and took the time and effort to stand behind their product to begin with, there wouldn't be a need to take such issues to a public forum and have folks at the corporate level hand down directives to the dealerships asking them to, you know, actually to do their jobs.

I had a dealership freak the fuck out because I had minor scratches and dings on the skidplates of one my of old JKs when I took it in for transmission issues. They were utterly shocked at the fact I took my Jeep with the word "Rubicon" plastered all over the hood onto a surface that wasn't pavement. I had to fight with these idiots to execute work clearly under warranty that had absolutely nothing to do with that damage.

So, the notion of Jeep buying back a vehicle with serious flaws without making the process incredibly frustrating and time consuming is unfathomable. If these two didn't cater to an audience, Jeep and FCA would still be fighting them tooth and nail.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm not talking exclusively about their YouTube numbers. Their subscriber count is largely irrelevant. Their videos were popular here and on other Jeep communities well before the buyback, specifically the ones where they were beating the shit out of the thing on the trail.

Suffice to say, Jeep took care of them to make themselves look good, not because they care about the customer or because it was the right thing to do. It's no different than the "JeepCares" PR machine. If dealerships and their service personnel cared about customers and took the time and effort to stand behind their product to begin with, there wouldn't be a need to take such issues to a public forum and have folks at the corporate level hand down directives to the dealerships asking them to, you know, actually to do their jobs.

I had a dealership freak the fuck out because I had minor scratches and dings on the skidplates of one my of old JKs when I took it in for transmission issues. They were utterly shocked at the fact I took my Jeep with the word "Rubicon" plastered all over the hood onto a surface that wasn't pavement. I had to fight with these idiots to execute work clearly under warranty that had absolutely nothing to do with that damage.

So, the notion of Jeep buying back a vehicle with serious flaws without making the process incredibly frustrating and time consuming is unfathomable. If these two didn't cater to an audience, Jeep and FCA would still be fighting them tooth and nail.
Exactly so . I have heard of dealerships somehow cancelling warranties because of some sort of modifications , with or without visible damage . And I have heard of other dealerships near Moab , for example , which honors warranties with obvious off-road scars . I guess it is up to the individual dealer .

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly so . I have heard of dealerships somehow cancelling warranties because of some sort of modifications , with or without visible damage . And I have heard of other dealerships near Moab , for example , which honors warranties with obvious off-road scars . I guess it is up to the individual dealer .
Absolutely. I have to drive out of town to a dealership 30 miles away for warranty service because the two local Jeep dealerships here are virtually useless. One won't do warranty work if you so much as have a rock embedded in your tire and while the other is much more off-road friendly, their service department has not once gotten repair work done correctly the first time.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Absolutely. I have to drive out of town to a dealership 30 miles away for warranty service because the two local Jeep dealerships here are virtually useless. One won't do warranty work if you so much as have a rock embedded in your tire and while the other is much more off-road friendly, their service department has not once gotten repair work done correctly the first time.
You are very lucky you know one 30 miles away . Be grateful you don't need to go to the locals . Plus you can drink a lot of beer whilst driving 30 miles , lol .

Motomom

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL 4 door
My JL has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now it won’t read anything from the Service bay pods but supposedly they can get it to read in the main Service area. They replaced the gateway module but no fix so now it is escalated to the next level and I have a case number too with Chrysler customer care. This is my first Wrangler and possibly my last! The whole situation is a joke!

OP
OP

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My JL has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now it won’t read anything from the Service bay pods but supposedly they can get it to read in the main Service area. They replaced the gateway module but no fix so now it is escalated to the next level and I have a case number too with Chrysler customer care. This is my first Wrangler and possibly my last! The whole situation is a joke!
I'm sorry to hear that @Motomom. This sounds all too familiar with my mess, click here to read more. The gateway module was just the tip of the iceberg in my case. Once they could get a read, that's when they discovered all of the issues the Jeep had, as you can see in the screenshots in my original post here. I hope you have better luck than I have thus far with customer care. I'm still fighting with them on this as we speak. My original case manager has stopped responding to me, so I requested a new one, who has also not reached out to me yet. They gave me some information on going the route of arbitration, which i'm keeping in my back pocket for now, but am seeing what I can work out with them first before going that route as they cut you off if they know you've gone forward with arbitration. I've been trying to keep a positive outlook on this whole situation, but am really struggling at this point. I really wanted this Jeep thing to work out, but I don't see that happening. It's sad that FCA can't make it right for folks with faulty Jeeps like us as it has a lasting impact on their brand's image. Good luck on your situation, keep us posted with updates!

Motomom

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL 4 door
I'm sorry to hear that @Motomom. This sounds all too familiar with my mess, click here to read more. The gateway module was just the tip of the iceberg in my case. Once they could get a read, that's when they discovered all of the issues the Jeep had, as you can see in the screenshots in my original post here. I hope you have better luck than I have thus far with customer care. I'm still fighting with them on this as we speak. My original case manager has stopped responding to me, so I requested a new one, who has also not reached out to me yet. They gave me some information on going the route of arbitration, which i'm keeping in my back pocket for now, but am seeing what I can work out with them first before going that route as they cut you off if they know you've gone forward with arbitration. I've been trying to keep a positive outlook on this whole situation, but am really struggling at this point. I really wanted this Jeep thing to work out, but I don't see that happening. It's sad that FCA can't make it right for folks with faulty Jeeps like us as it has a lasting impact on their brand's image. Good luck on your situation, keep us posted with updates!
I know I have a case number and all too but right now the dealership is the only one who is really working hard on my side, it is sad that FCA doesn’t care about customer service!