Sponsored

Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch?

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I'm thinking about using an Aux switch directly to the winch motor to turn it on/off. Haven't figured out the wiring yet, but don't see the need for the Warn interrupt as isn't that just wiring a solenoid to another soleniod? (The controller on the x20 is a big solenoid already) Thoughts?

add: has anyone found a wiring diagram for the x20? The instructions aren't very detailed...
The switch on the X2O only turns the power ON/OFF to the receiver for the wireless remote. It does not switch the winch motor power.
Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
The switch on the X2O only turns the power ON/OFF to the receiver for the wireless remote. It does not switch the winch motor power.
It took me like 2 months to realize that. Almost removed the winch to check all the connections!:LOL::whew:

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yes, realized that and ended up using the Warn Interrupt mounted on a bent electrical plate as mentioned in posts #98 and #100. Even painted mine Orange ;)

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I have to mention besides preventing accidental shorting and shenanigans, power interrupting kit (or battery quick disconnect) is important for new gen Warn VR EVO series. VR EVO is very popular because of costs and Warn brand, but a lot of people did not realize it has a built in wireless receptor that will always be on unless you disconnect it from battery.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have to mention besides preventing accidental shorting and shenanigans, power interrupting kit (or battery quick disconnect) is important for new gen Warn VR EVO series. VR EVO is very popular because of costs and Warn brand, but a lot of people did not realize it has a built in wireless receptor that will always be on unless you disconnect it from battery.
I'm using the Warn VR EVO 10S and didn't realize that....Thanks!

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using the Warn VR EVO 10S and didn't realize that....Thanks!
Yes, even if you do not use the wireless remote function, it will still suck up batteries at a very slow rate, probably millie amps per day but it is still there.

jungloewe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
just for my understanding.
Is a interruption kit recommended in general?
I think no-one in Germany is using one - ok, but we actually do not use winches :-D
Same to my winch, its just all-time powered without a fuse.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
just for my understanding.
Is a interruption kit recommended in general?
I think no-one in Germany is using one - ok, but we actually do not use winches :-D
Same to my winch, its just all-time powered without a fuse.
If you are somewhat a weekend electrician, put it on is not hard and worth it.

If you are not comfortable on that, not having one is not a big deal.

ralphgb

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
The problem turned out to be the solenoid itself. I had a second solenoid on hand because I was going to do the exact same thing for my wife's Jeep, and when I swapped in the new one, it worked perfectly. Reached out to @warn to see about getting the defective device replaced. Hope they have good customer service!
Just to follow up, Warn made good and sent me a replacement solenoid. They were initially out of stock, so it took about a week to get to me. I installed it in my wife's JLR and it works perfectly.

Dauron

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019, Nissan Qashqai+2 2012
I love the rail mount idea. I did a similar one today. I have spray-painted mine red to match the color of the body so it doesn't stick out so much when I open the hood. :)

I've routed my winch cables under the air filter box. They basically follow the edge where the body and the wheel well cover meet. I think that it will actually be easier to access them by removing the well cover instead of the filter box if I ever want to inspect them. They were way too long when routed this way so I had to zip-tie them into an ugly loop of cables. I might consider shortening them this weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 20200514_211445
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 20200514_211518

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I love the rail mount idea. I did a similar one today. I have spray-painted mine red to match the color of the body so it doesn't stick out so much when I open the hood. :)

I've routed my winch cables under the air filter box. They basically follow the edge where the body and the wheel well cover meet. I think that it will actually be easier to access them by removing the well cover instead of the filter box if I ever want to inspect them. They were way too long when routed this way so I had to zip-tie them into an ugly loop of cables. I might consider shortening them this weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 20200514_211518
Nice work!
Note that you actually don't need to feed the green cable across to the negative battery terminal. There are M6 mass terminals right below your rail that you can attach negative to.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Hi Derek, you might consider leaving the positive cable from the winch long enough that it could be disconnected from the solenoid and reconnected directly to the battery. That would come in handy in case the solenoid or auxiliary switch failed.

Later,
Johnny

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Here is the rail trick done on a 2020 3.0 JLRU. Engine compartment has a different layout than the other examples I've seen. Hope this helps!
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 38FE0C10-2F86-42A0-B0EF-7CD22BE474F2
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 38FE0C10-2F86-42A0-B0EF-7CD22BE474F2
Same comment as above. There are actually ground terminals right below your rail
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 1589849560133

You could use those to connect your green ground cable.