Sponsored

Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mark, I used the aluminum version of these, easier to cut and obviously won't corrode.
Pictures are deceiving, but yours doesn’t look like aluminum in the pictures. I’m sure you’re right though.

I don’t even recall what I actually bought (alum or zinc plated). These are just examples I could find online pretty quickly
Sponsored

noswttea4u

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I bought the zinc coated version you posted from HD today. I am going to paint it with Rustoleum after cutting it this weekend to help out.

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Nice mod.. do the nylon washers impact the grounding at all?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I did a similar setup with a high amp solenoid activated by AUX4 last year on my JL.

IMG_2712.jpg

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of not having power to the winch unless I'm using it. The solenoid is nice if I'm hooking it to an AUX switch but I'm thinking of just getting this to keep things simple
I'm a first time winch owner. I'm going to install my Smittybilt X20 comp in the next week or so. What are the concerns of having it wired directly to the battery?

- I read the horror story of the bumper pinching the wire causing a fire. But, that sounds like a freak accident to me.
- I read that someone could mess with your winch since it's exposed on the exterior of the vehicle. Does this happen?

I'm not that concerned about those things happening. Should I be? Are there other concerns?

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
A manual disconnect solves both issues, costs very little, and adds very little time/complexity to the install. That or a solenoid is the right way to do it.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A manual disconnect solves both issues, costs very little, and adds very little time/complexity to the install. That or a solenoid is the right way to do it.
What are your thoughts on running the manual disconnect wires so that I can connect/disconnect above a 'dead pedal' under the dash rather than in the engine bay?

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm a first time winch owner. I'm going to install my Smittybilt X20 comp in the next week or so. What are the concerns of having it wired directly to the battery?

- I read the horror story of the bumper pinching the wire causing a fire. But, that sounds like a freak accident to me.
- I read that someone could mess with your winch since it's exposed on the exterior of the vehicle. Does this happen?

I'm not that concerned about those things happening. Should I be? Are there other concerns?
Not sure if someone else had mentioned this already but my reasoning for considering this is in the event of a run away winch. Basically, you're spooling in winch line and something shorts out and the winch won't stop spooling. In the time it takes to open the hood, grab a wrench, and disconnect it, It could take fingers, hands, limbs, damage your Jeep, snap the cable, destroy the winch, or any other combination. It's pretty scary when it happens, especially because 9/10 times, if you're using a winch- you've already screwed up and are in a bad position.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Basically, you're spooling in winch line and something shorts out and the winch won't stop spooling. In the time it takes to open the hood, grab a wrench, and disconnect it, It could take fingers, hands, limbs, damage your Jeep, snap the cable, destroy the winch, or any other combination.
Good point! Sounds like using a manual disconnect under the dash or a solenoid to an aux switch would best address this possibility.

Any reason not to run a manual disconnect under the dash?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Good point! Sounds like using a manual disconnect under the dash or a solenoid to an aux switch would best address this possibility.

Any reason not to run a manual disconnect under the dash?
Yeah, running 4 gauge wires to and from "under the dash" would be a pain in the butt. This is why a solenoid is a good choice. A 16/18 gauge wire between the switch and solenoid is a lot easier to run to the dash. Also do you want full battery current now all the time at your shins vs at the bumper?

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I just installed my X20 the other day. I didn't wire it to the battery yet. The wires are just zip tied next to the battery (I put heat shrink on the leads to be safe). Once I get the switch ordered and wired, I'll finish up the install. I have to wait for the Factor 55 Fast Fid to arrive anyway since I'll have to cut the rope to get the stupid hook off. I wish they had used a hook design that could be removed. My Ultrahook is going to look so much better than that thing

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I just installed my X20 the other day. I didn't wire it to the battery yet. The wires are just zip tied next to the battery (I put heat shrink on the leads to be safe). Once I get the switch ordered and wired, I'll finish up the install. I have to wait for the Factor 55 Fast Fid to arrive anyway since I'll have to cut the rope to get the stupid hook off. I wish they had used a hook design that could be removed. My Ultrahook is going to look so much better than that thing
I just (very carefully) cut the hook off. A cut off wheel sliced right through it. I wrapped the rope in aluminum foil to keep out any metal shavings.
Sponsored