Sponsored

Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch?

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Manual disconnect should work fine since the goal is getting a constant HOT lead off the front of the jeep. Lots of options with manual disconnects as well.
Another option might be a 12v high amp breaker with a switch and reset. I use one for rear power outlet on my 2500. Gives me ground/short protection and a way to kill power if I want. You could have constant power up front and IF there were some sort of accident the breaker would trip. Most only go to 300amp though. Mine powers a 12K HF winch on my tilt trailer with no issues. Seldom ever need 300amp. On heavy pulls I use a snatch block to keep work load lower.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Here is an update on my setup. The rail I installed to hold the solenoid activating the winch now also holds two connectors
  1. A high amp plug where I can connect a jumper cable. This connector is directly supplied from the main battery
  2. A low amp connector I use to power my compressor. Power for this one comes from the winch solenoid, so that I can start/stop the compressor via the AUX button
wARnvAEKDThFsJ-yEHSzLkxOjwhtPls2H1Ga_qahGy2IYV5SZS9mjQpKc5x-0arSS7plsILnoPxHKLO7D2kyarFm=s937-no.jpg

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Here is an update on my setup. The rail I installed to hold the solenoid activating the winch now also holds two connectors
  1. A high amp plug where I can connect a jumper cable. This connector is directly supplied from the main battery
  2. A low amp connector I use to power my compressor. Power for this one comes from the winch solenoid, so that I can start/stop the compressor via the AUX button
wARnvAEKDThFsJ-yEHSzLkxOjwhtPls2H1Ga_qahGy2IYV5SZS9mjQpKc5x-0arSS7plsILnoPxHKLO7D2kyarFm=s937-no.jpg
I like your setup. I'm getting ready to do the project myself. Could you give a little more detail on the plugs you used and the install? Thanks!!

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi James,

to understand the wiring of the winch activating solenoid: read this forum from the top. The connectors I used are those types:

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-22681-Q...argid=aud-829758849484:pla-449909864291&psc=1

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-c...k56GbyDF5eXoK56GkrtMsKK9OuJ2KXY0aAqh0EALw_wcB
Thanks for the links Peter. I understand the Solenoid wiring it was the addition of the high amp plug and the low amp connector that interested me,

If I understand correctly you added two additional wires, a positive wire directly to the main battery and a negative to the frame, for the high amp plug for connecting jumper cables.

For the low amp connector to supply your compressor you added a positive wire from the solenoid, in addition to the positive supplying the winch, and ran that wire to the low amp connector as well as a negative to the frame.

Is my understanding correct? If so what gauge of wires did you use?

Thanks again!

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the links Peter. I understand the Solenoid wiring it was the addition of the high amp plug and the low amp connector that interested me,

If I understand correctly you added two additional wires, a positive wire directly to the main battery and a negative to the frame, for the high amp plug for connecting jumper cables.

For the low amp connector to supply your compressor you added a positive wire from the solenoid, in addition to the positive supplying the winch, and ran that wire to the low amp connector as well as a negative to the frame.

Is my understanding correct? If so what gauge of wires did you use?

Thanks again!
Yes, correct. I used a battery cable for the high amp, possibly gauge 1? For the low amp I used a few inches of the wire that came with the compressor, maybe gauge 8.

noswttea4u

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Do you have a link to that rail?

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a link to that rail?
They are found in the stand up bins with other metal rods and angle. I also bought some nylon washers to use between the slotted angle and the body of the Jeep. Thought it would help protect the paint and isolate it. They are longer than you need so make sure you have the means to cut it. I used my angle grinder.

Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-Plated-Offset-Slotted-Angle-801327/204225770

Lowe’s
[URL]https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-1-1-2-in-W-x-2-1-4-in-H-x-6-ft-L-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Offset-Angle/3057635
[/URL]

noswttea4u

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
They are found in the stand up bins with other metal rods and angle. I also bought some nylon washers to use between the slotted angle and the body of the Jeep. Thought it would help protect the paint and isolate it. They are longer than you need so make sure you have the means to cut it. I used my angle grinder.

Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-Plated-Offset-Slotted-Angle-801327/204225770

Lowe’s

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks...6-ft-L-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Offset-Angle/3057635

Thank you! Installing mine next week.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Home Depot

Lowe’s

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks...6-ft-L-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Offset-Angle/3057635

Mark, I used the aluminum version of these, easier to cut and obviously won't corrode.
Sponsored