Sponsored

Has anyone used the Auxiliary/Battery Wires in the interior?

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
If you did wire anything up using them, what did you use for a ground? Thanks!!!
Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I haven't - but you can ground it anywhere on the chassis. Find a bolt and throw a connector on and bolt it back down. I will be wiring in a dash camera to an AUX switch as soon as my JL arrives.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I haven't - but you can ground it anywhere on the chassis. Find a bolt and throw a connector on and bolt it back down. I will be wiring in a dash camera to an AUX switch as soon as my JL arrives.
Won't the dash cam have it's own accessible on/off switch? Why do you need to run it through the AUX switches? Just curious.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Won't the dash cam have it's own accessible on/off switch? Why do you need to run it through the AUX switches? Just curious.
Using an AUX switch for it just for a source of power. Otherwise I will have to piggy back off of a fuse in order to hard wire the dash camera in.

I won't have a need for all 4 AUX switches - so I will use one for the dash cam for simplicity sake. I'll never turn the switch off, as the dash cam is always hot.

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks SimpleJL, I was just wondering if anyone found one inside the jeep so I didn't have to go through the firewall but now that I think about it, there might be a good ground on the passenger side where you could get through the firewall on the JK through the foam grommet. You can no longer get through the firewall that way on the JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Using an AUX switch for it just for a source of power. Otherwise I will have to piggy back off of a fuse in order to hard wire the dash camera in.

I won't have a need for all 4 AUX switches - so I will use one for the dash cam for simplicity sake. I'll never turn the switch off, as the dash cam is always hot.
There are 6 wires under the dash, 4 to the Aux Switches, 1 for ignition power, and one fused directly to the battery.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Thanks SimpleJL, I was just wondering if anyone found one inside the jeep so I didn't have to go through the firewall but now that I think about it, there might be a good ground on the passenger side where you could get through the firewall on the JK through the foam grommet. You can no longer get through the firewall that way on the JL.
No need to go through the firewall. I am sure there are some chassis bolts inside the glove compartment area behind the dash.

I don't know Jeeps, but on previous cars there is almost always a chassis bolt somewhere behind the dash. Lay down and take a look up the footwell area under the dash. There must be one somewhere over there.

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
No need to go through the firewall. I am sure there are some chassis bolts inside the glove compartment area behind the dash.

I don't know Jeeps, but on previous cars there is almost always a chassis bolt somewhere behind the dash. Lay down and take a look up the footwell area under the dash. There must be one somewhere over there.
Thanks buddy!

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Anyone wire something to them yet? I am curious if the wires associated with them are labeled. It sounds like there are four wires under the dash and and some in the engine compartment, so do you have to do some trial and error to figure out which ones are which? Are 1/2 the 40 amp and 3/4 the 15 amp, or something like that?

As a follow-up, how easy was it to program them in the Uconnect system?

Thanks!

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
Anyone wire something to them yet? I am curious if the wires associated with them are labeled. It sounds like there are four wires under the dash and and some in the engine compartment, so do you have to do some trial and error to figure out which ones are which? Are 1/2 the 40 amp and 3/4 the 15 amp, or something like that?

As a follow-up, how easy was it to program them in the Uconnect system?

Thanks!
Mine were not labeled but easily decoded. 2 larger wires are 40 amp.
Very easy to setup in Uconnect.

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you did wire anything up using them, what did you use for a ground? Thanks!!!
How would you use one for interior options? Would that not defeat the purpose of them since the connections for them are in the engine bay? You would have to run a wire from the engine bay through the firewall, kind of defeating the purpose for them isnt it?

I doubt you can wire into them directly, because they are a single module controlled via Uconnect and not directly accessible from behind the dash per say. Some TJs/LJs use to have a type of aux wiring located behind the glove box for interior use...but obviously not as fancy.

As far as I am aware the JL with the AUX feature installed does not offer any such interior connections.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are 6 wires under the dash, 4 to the Aux Switches, 1 for ignition power, and one fused directly to the battery.
Excuse my previous post, I did not know they were also pre wired for interior use. I must have missed that and glad you brought this up!

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Where was the wire splicing kit that was supposed to come with that option? Ive torn mine apart and cant find it. Of course, dealer knew nothing about it. Thankful for these forums and all the info I found out about before taking delivery.

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Where was the wire splicing kit that was supposed to come with that option? Ive torn mine apart and cant find it. Of course, dealer knew nothing about it. Thankful for these forums and all the info I found out about before taking delivery.
For what it is worth, they are just little heat shrink tubes. $8 for several hundred of them: https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-580-p...=1519342912&sr=8-4&keywords=shrink+wrap+tubes

Wouldn't make it the hill you want to die on as far as taking delivery, but obviously raise hell at the dealer ;-)
Sponsored