ColoJLRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I came across this on my Instagram feed. Has anyone tried them?

AA167951-D0F3-495F-AA5D-3F00125B47F1.png
Sponsored

ryno1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Bump. I'm interested too. I like the idea of a relatively high load capacity, yet no-drill and easily removable.

tblanahan2

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK, 2017JKU
VooDooChild & ryno1 I found Exposed Racks two years ago. These racks are great!!! I first installed the racks on my soft top JKU. Installation was super easy and only took 5 minutes. The rack uses the screws for the freedom top and uses factory treaded holes with provided finger bolts for the rear. This rack is strong and the powder coating is top notch. Best of all the rack fits perfectly under the soft top. It’s a brilliant design. I just recently purchased another Exposed Racks for my JK Hardtop. This rack was just as easy to install. The rack and hardware are high quality. Both racks have been great for hauling 2 Stand up Paddleboards and surfboards. I am really impressed with the quality and the company. I met the owner at Jeep Beach. The entire product is made in the USA in PA/NJ. Purchase with confidence!!!

jnbiser5

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Other than Tim did anyone else pick these up? I have a HT and looking to purchase a ST (OEM) for the summer and was just thinking that I'd have issues w/ having 2 purchase different systems for carrying kayaks and SUP for the HT and ST. This looks like it would solve that problem for me. I can't really find many reviews online though.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have it and love it. I got the complete set that works with my hard top and soft top.

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
Does anyone have a link? Sounds like these will work for kayaks.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
This rack with the click in B18 brackets is literally the thing I have been trying to build in my mind for the past 2 years!

Running an rtt with no top on is the exact way I want to run all summer for a lot of trips. Get home..unclick the tent..pull the soft top back over. Bam ready for work on monday.

My buddy made a ghetto mount for his JLU to mount a rtt but this is soooo much easier! Cant wait.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
update in second post.

I purchased the JLU soft top two bar clip in system

The rack mounts very solid and holds the tent, 2 people and a dog. Felt very sturdy. No movement whatsoever.

After sliding the tent on without the clip in mounts I have decided that is the way I will always mount it. Using the traditional tent flat plates and bolts. Being able to reach from Underneath with power tool still makes it easy. Plus, My wife isn’t tall enough to help the tent up and I don’t fit in the garage with it on for hoist system.

A few more reasons.
1. I can mount/ un mount the tent by myself simply sliding it up from the rear of the Jeep over my cargo rack rail (aluminum), on the roll bar, directly onto the crossbars. Tent weights 93lbs.
2. With the clip in mounts attached to the tent it will NOT slide over the crossbars. Much more difficult to mount. 93lbs is heavy in the shape of a tent you can’t hold.
3. Tent mounts about 1” lower. This isn’t a huge plus but just a fact.

Overall the quality is great and exactly what I was looking for to mount a tent for Short summer trips.

Oh another bonus, my rampage bikini top still fits under the rack. Not exactly perfect but still keeps out water. Just slide it forward to bolt tent from under neath with power tool.

If I ever get a house with a taller garage, or a hardtop. Clip mounts will be used again.

I’ll be using some kayak clip in mounts as well.
So glad I bought the clip ones. Wow longest post I ever made.

Pictures are with clip in mounts.

4F8E30E4-9302-4371-ACEE-59BBFA4855F3.jpeg

E9E0D34E-6C60-43CD-B886-B9A7D1653EA4.jpeg

928602E1-6971-4C6D-8B31-8CE7F9A24CD9.jpeg

B0A2BFF7-5E92-40C4-AD51-E55469E9C55D.jpeg

62DC399B-54AF-4488-9C8C-ED5881366DA8.jpeg

Last edited:

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Update: 5/6

So I now take the tent bolts/ slider things and tighten them 99% to the quick disconnect brackets. Slide tent up back of Jeep on crossbars the lift one end at a time (using a pad to keep it lifted in the middle of tent) and slide the quick brackets down the tent mounting rails. Then do the other end of tent.

While tent and quick connectors are sitting halfway into the crossbar holes, I tighten the bolts the last bit. No longer need power tools or remove my bikini top to mount tent. Then I press the little silver buttons and the tent falls all the way into the crossbar.

My neighbors probably think I’m crazy. 3 days of lifting a big tent on and off my Jeep to go no where.

Hopefully if you have a tent and want to use the quick disconnects easily..you have a tall garage entry.

Last edited:

jnbiser5

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Anyone have the instructions on how to install without the hard top. I got the brackets for the soft top but only got instructions for installing to my hard top. I want to install w/o my hard top on to carry some kayaks here with nice weather.
Emailed SMS Parts but its after hours. Assuming they can send tomorrow. The only video's on the SMS Parts sites are instructions for JKU.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Anyone have the instructions on how to install without the hard top. I got the brackets for the soft top but only got instructions for installing to my hard top. I want to install w/o my hard top on to carry some kayaks here with nice weather.
Emailed SMS Parts but its after hours. Assuming they can send tomorrow. The only video's on the SMS Parts sites are instructions for JKU.
Mine came with some paper instructions. They can also be found on quadratec’s website
https://www.quadratec.com/p/exposed-racks/under-soft-top-roof-rack-wrangler-unlimited-jl
Scroll down a bit
Sponsored