Sponsored

Has anyone traded-in or sold for cash a stock JL more than originally paid for when new?

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I bought my 2018 JLU Rubicon for $44200 (before taxes) and just traded it for $43000. I didn't make money but that is crazy low depreciation. Unfortunately I am now Jeep-less until my 2021 comes in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota in the past, just started owning a JL :D
Seems like the used vehicle prices have come down since the peak a couple months ago.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Seems like the used vehicle prices have come down since the peak a couple months ago.
Yeah I'm seeing that here too. Latest offer from Carvana was $6k below KBB trade value. Odd though, they don't even have any for sale here.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I just sold a fourth car to Carvana two weeks ago, a 2015 Cadillac. Thanks to this ridiculous used car market I am getting a 2020 Challenger Scat Pack for the same payment and walking away with $2200 in my pocket.

I can tell you how Carvana does what they do - a really efficient model and VOLUME. They have their turnaround process absolutely dialed. That said, they do not compete well with regular dealers if you are a buyer. You will pay more to buy through Carvana. But people are flocking to them and similar services because buying a car through Carvana is like buying anything on Amazon. You search for the one you want, you click BUY, and they deliver it to you. Zero BS. They are going to completely change the way we buy cars eventually because they are finally providing something we've wanted for decades - truly hassle free car buying.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I just sold a fourth car to Carvana two weeks ago, a 2015 Cadillac. Thanks to this ridiculous used car market I am getting a 2020 Challenger Scat Pack for the same payment and walking away with $2200 in my pocket.

I can tell you how Carvana does what they do - a really efficient model and VOLUME. They have their turnaround process absolutely dialed. That said, they do not compete well with regular dealers if you are a buyer. You will pay more to buy through Carvana. But people are flocking to them and similar services because buying a car through Carvana is like buying anything on Amazon. You search for the one you want, you click BUY, and they deliver it to you. Zero BS. They are going to completely change the way we buy cars eventually because they are finally providing something we've wanted for decades - truly hassle free car buying.
Besides seeing the car, and driving it, and ability to negotiate on price before purchase. I would sell to them if the price is right, I would never buy a car/truck from them.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Besides seeing the car, and driving it, and ability to negotiate on price before purchase. I would sell to them if the price is right, I would never buy a car/truck from them.
Carvana does have physical locations that I think you can check cars out at, and AFAIK, they're pretty good about handling issues and cancelling the sale if you wish.

There's always carmax if you want a brick-and-mortar no BS experience. Same with places like enterprise car sales, if you're cool with buying a used rental car.

Carmax used to sell new cars. They actually used to sell new Jeeps, believe it or not! Their deals were basically like 2% under invoice with no haggling. Sure you can do better, but that's pretty darn good!

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
You do get to see the car before committing to it. They deliver it to you, and you can test drive for up to seven days. If you decide you don't want it, you tell them, and they come and pick it back up.

As for negotiation, eventually that will no longer be necessary. There are now at least 5 "dealers" just like Carvana and many more are planned. With multiple dealers to buy from, it will once again work just like Amazon or whatever...just go to the one with the best price. Free market takes over from there.

The real hurdle will be getting new car sales out of the grips of the classic dealer network. They won't give it up easily. But we already see classic dealers starting this kind of process - we all know about Koons and Criswell. We'll see those kinds of programs popping up more and more over the next few years.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
You do get to see the car before committing to it. They deliver it to you, and you can test drive for up to seven days. If you decide you don't want it, you tell them, and they come and pick it back up.

As for negotiation, eventually that will no longer be necessary. There are now at least 5 "dealers" just like Carvana and many more are planned. With multiple dealers to buy from, it will once again work just like Amazon or whatever...just go to the one with the best price. Free market takes over from there.

The real hurdle will be getting new car sales out of the grips of the classic dealer network. They won't give it up easily. But we already see classic dealers starting this kind of process - we all know about Koons and Criswell. We'll see those kinds of programs popping up more and more over the next few years.
So you can drive the car for seven days before paying for it? Can you drive it before paying?

I could care less how many types of businesses employ this model. I still negotiate even with 10 new/used car dealers on the same street. You can’t get more competitive.

As far as dealer networks, dealers don’t make money new car sales and even used car sales anymore. They make money on parts and service.

Carvana is a shil for Elon...

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
So you can drive the car for seven days before paying for it? Can you drive it before paying?

I could care less how many types of businesses employ this model. I still negotiate even with 10 new/used car dealers on the same street. You can’t get more competitive.
The vast majority of people would rather just get a good price and move on with their lives. We've got better things to do then spend weeks working with a-hole dealers just to save $500.

Carvana is a shil for Elon...
Conspiracy theorist much?

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
The vast majority of people would rather just get a good price and move on with their lives. We've got better things to do then spend weeks working with a-hole dealers just to save $500.

Conspiracy theorist much?
Don't go to a-hole dealers. That was easy.

As Tesla SpaceX and Boring are filled with fraud and money laundering ventures so is carvana. Nice little triangle trade they have going on....

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Carmax still sells new cars, just not at every location.
AFAIK they only sell new toyotas at one, maybe 2 locations? The website doesn't even have a way to search for them anymore.

I dunno about his business practices, but Elon Musk is really good at getting smart people to work ridiculous hours for low wages. It's too bad a company like Google with their enormous cash reserves for R&D, great benefits and pay isn't trying to send people to space.

If you want some entertainment, get a bag of popcorn and check out the nasaspaceflight thread about vector launch.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
AFAIK they only sell new toyotas at one, maybe 2 locations? The website doesn't even have a way to search for them anymore.

I dunno about his business practices, but Elon Musk is really good at getting smart people to work ridiculous hours for low wages. It's too bad a company like Google with their enormous cash reserves for R&D, great benefits and pay isn't trying to send people to space.

If you want some entertainment, get a bag of popcorn and check out the nasaspaceflight thread about vector launch.
Elon is worse than maddoff.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Don't go to a-hole dealers. That was easy.
Yeah that's what i'm sayin'. It won't be too long before all the a-hole dealers will be gone, and that's thanks to companies like Carvana, Vroom, ALGO...etc.

As Tesla SpaceX and Boring are filled with fraud and money laundering ventures so is carvana. Nice little triangle trade they have going on....
Source for this? Genuinely curious cause i've never heard such a claim.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I sold my 2013 JKUS basically stock for $26k. I paid $28,500, 8 years ago. This was 3 weeks ago and this week the price was up another $300. My KBB price was closer to $29k but felt getting $26k was more than fair!
Sponsored