Sponsored

Has anyone traded-in or sold for cash a stock JL more than originally paid for when new?

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota in the past, just started owning a JL :D
Hi all,

As many areas are suffering from low used auto inventory, I'm wondering if anyone here has traded-in with valuation higher than, or sold to dealer or Carmax or private party for more $$$ than what one originally paid for (not including sales tax, and not considering aftermarket mods etc.)? Anyone actually earned a profit from buying and owning a stock JL/JK for a year or two? (Obviously this wouldn't happen if owned for too long.)
Sponsored

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
I did it with my 2019 Tacoma to Carvana and it’s why I’m ordering a Rubicon. Paid $34.500 for it new in 2019 and sold it for $37,700 this month after putting 8500 miles on it. They literally paid me $3000 to drive that truck for a year and a few months.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The Carvana offer I got on my 2018 JL with the only option being the limited slip differential (at the time required with the manual transmission) was $600 more than the 5% under invoice I paid 2 years and 20k miles ago. I did not sell.

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Great job on selling for more than you originally paid :) This is especially impressive if you sold it to a dealer or Carvana/Carmax/Vroom etc. as their trade-in values are always lower than a private party would be willing to pay. It's probably easier to sell for higher to someone who only wants, say, a Mojito manual V6 same-color hardtop but plastic fenders without the safety group :giggle:

I went to Carvana site and entered my 2019 JLUR with 12k miles, but their quote is lower, because they deducted $7k from KBB market value for "local market adjustment". But I live in an area with very high demand on Wranglers. I thought instead, they should have added a few thousand to the quote for local adjustment :whew:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Great job on selling for more than you originally paid :) This is especially impressive if you sold it to a dealer or Carvana/Carmax/Vroom etc. as their trade-in values are always lower than a private party would be willing to pay. It's probably easier to sell for higher to someone who only wants, say, a Mojito manual V6 same-color hardtop but plastic fenders without the safety group :giggle:

I went to Carvana site and entered my 2019 JLUR with 12k miles, but their quote is lower, because they deducted $7k from KBB market value for "local market adjustment". But I live in an area with very high demand on Wranglers. I thought instead, they should have added a few thousand to the quote for local adjustment :whew:
My nearest Carvana is in Kansas City and they added to KBB for local market adjustment.

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My nearest Carvana is in Kansas City and they added to KBB for local market adjustment.
That's nice! I wonder how they determine the local market adjustment part in different regions. It seems the highest vs. lowest in the nation for a same spec car can differ by $10k :surprised:

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I did it with my 2019 Tacoma to Carvana and it’s why I’m ordering a Rubicon. Paid $34.500 for it new in 2019 and sold it for $37,700 this month after putting 8500 miles on it. They literally paid me $3000 to drive that truck for a year and a few months.
But what about taxes and fees?

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But what about taxes and fees?
Taxes can range from 0% to 10% depending on location. I would be totally happy if I were to sell my Jeep after driving for 2 years and get almost as much as what I paid for the price, taking the sales tax and fees as my loss. I know I'd be doing way better than on an Audi or Land Rover :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In terms of holding up resale value, does JL do better than Gladiators so far?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Careful. The great resale becomes less true as you stack the options on. :)

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
If this were true, used car dealers would be placing as many factory new orders as possible, and stacking their lots. And new dealers would not be discounting anything at all. Think about it.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
Here the link for the doubters
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1530069

There is a link to the original window sticker on the page, which proves they are asking more than it retailed for brand new. On top of that, there was a rebate at the time I bought plus I get below invoice pricing due to my relationship with the sales manager.
I paid $34,500 for the truck, sold it for 37+, and taxes were less than the profit from Carvana. So yes, did get paid to drive that truck.

Is that normal? Or course not. It had everything to do with Covid. Everyone decided they needed to become outdoorsman this year and it created a massive shortage of Tacoma’s and other vehicles the summer. Go talk to your dealers and ask them about Carvana buying cars, it’s screwed all of them out of inventory because no one is willing to match their prices. Carvana is trying to prove they can be a viable platform by building market share. They haven’t turned a profit in 3 years according to the dealer I spoke with.
Sponsored