Sponsored

Has anyone test driven both the eTorque 3.6 and 2.0 without eTorque?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I enjoy the 2.0 with eTorque in my Sahara and I like the idea of some power retention due to boost at high elevation. I’m curious if others have had this concern but were surprised at the power with the 3.6 with eTorque and you decided to go that direction?

Thanks
Sponsored

bkhahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara High Altitude 4XE
I haven't bought mine yet but I drove the eTorque 3.6 and non-eTorque 2.0. The ESS was noticeably smoother on the eTorque, but even the non-eTorque 2.0 ESS was better than the ESS in my 2017 Pacifica 3.6. I fully intend to go with the 2.0 non-eTorque. It felt livelier and was more enjoyable to drive. I just wish it had a deeper/less whiny sound. Even my '13 Escape with a 2.0 turbo has a deeper note.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just picked up my 2021 Rubicon with V6 e-torque a couple of weeks ago and have a rental 2020 Sahara 2.0 in the driveway. I’m not sure if the rental has e-torque but it is definitely more peppy than the Rubicon.
Now in fairness, the Rubicon has slightly taller/heavier tires and weighs about 300 lbs more than the Sahara and also has less than 600 miles on it.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I just picked up my 2021 Rubicon with V6 e-torque a couple of weeks ago and have a rental 2020 Sahara 2.0 in the driveway. I’m not sure if the rental has e-torque but it is definitely more peppy than the Rubicon.
Now in fairness, the Rubicon has slightly taller/heavier tires and weighs about 300 lbs more than the Sahara and also has less than 600 miles on it.
No need to guess...a peak under the hood.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
we have a man 3.6 and auto w e torque. sure the auto feels peppier, but I've a lot of weight she does not have

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I test drove both configurations on 3 different occasions within the last month. My wife and I both agreed that the 3.6 with eTorque was smoother than the 2.0 without eTorque. The 2.0 felt more jumpy off the start but the power delivery of the 3.6 with eTorque felt more constant. A noticeable power lag was felt in the 2.0 when accelerating during driving and not from a stop. I am familiar with turbos and this didn't feel like a standard turbo lag. I tested the 2.0 on two different Jeeps so I am confident in saying it was the engine and not one particular Jeep.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I test drove both configurations on 3 different occasions within the last month. My wife and I both agreed that the 3.6 with eTorque was smoother than the 2.0 without eTorque. The 2.0 felt more jumpy off the start but the power delivery of the 3.6 with eTorque felt more constant. A noticeable power lag was felt in the 2.0 when accelerating during driving and not from a stop. I am familiar with turbos and this didn't feel like a standard turbo lag. I tested the 2.0 on two different Jeeps so I am confident in saying it was the engine and not one particular Jeep.
Hmm. I wonder if that is a side affect of no eTorque. Mine is smooth like you described the 3.6 with eTorque. I know whichever way I go, the BSG’s start stop is much much nicer. I have an Alfa 2.0 and like the 2021 2.0 it has the ‘18 Alfa 2.0 turbo with conventional start stop and I definitely want to disable it permanently. lol

Anyone at high altitude test drive both?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
No need to guess...a peak under the hood.
How do I tell if it has E-torque? I come from a TJ background where there’s only 4 parts under the hood and the JL are slightly more complex. What does the e-torque components look like?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Look for extra coolant tanks on the drivers side fender inside the engine bay.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I drove 3 similarly equipped JLUR's... 3.6 with eTorque, the 2.0 with and without the eTorque here in Denver. I went up from 6,000' to 7,200' during the test drive as I had heard the turbo was so much better in high altitude. eTorque made zero difference after 2,000 rpm. Off the line the eTorque seemed smoother and a bit quicker. I also noticed the turbo lag and higher engine noise/rev. Then I drove the 3.6 with eTorque on the same route. I think the 2.0 feels a bit faster off the line because of the engine noise, not sure there is much of a real difference. On the elevation gain, I had zero problems keeping the 3.6 at 80 mph at a lower rpm than the 2.0. Honestly did not feel like the 3.6 was struggling at all. I ended up buying a 2021 with the 3.6 and eTorque. I have already put 1,500 miles on it including a run up Pike's Peak. Very happy with my decision and am not hesitant to move forward with 37" tires.

Sponsored

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Is it true for 2021 you cannot get the standard 3.6 w/auto trans ?
(I just can't standard all this high tech stuff. Just one more thing to go wrong)

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Jeep.com shows 4 engine options including 3.6 with ESS and no eTorque. I figured I would use the eTorque and if it became problematic later on, I am sure someone will come out with a delete kit. Or, I will just swap the engine out.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
How do I tell if it has E-torque? I come from a TJ background where there’s only 4 parts under the hood and the JL are slightly more complex. What does the e-torque components look like?
The generator looks different...or you can look underneath the vehicle under the left passenger seat to see it it has an aux battery....you’ll see a special skid plate about 1’x2’ if it’s an etorque.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Just an FYI, for 2021 when you want the 8 speed auto and 3.6 engine, you can only get this combo with e-torque system. The e-torque and the ess systems are totally different from each other. Ess uses the starter, e-torque uses a 48 volt battery and belt drive generator to start the engine at stops.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Look for extra coolant tanks on the drivers side fender inside the engine bay.
Got to the Mopar web site and type in your VIN, you can pull up all of the options on your vehicle and also the window sticker
Sponsored