Sponsored

Has anyone swapped from halogens to leds?

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
I have the beamtechs as well and they are a huge upgrade over the stock halogens. After I installed my Rubi suspension and tires I was getting flashed at all the time with the halogens so I adjusted them down and thats where they stayed even after the LED swap and so far no one has flashed me since. Just try to make sure your cutoff is below peoples back windows and windshields and youll be good
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
There are many threads out there cover LED headlights in depth.

The short of it is Mopar has a conversion kit that requires a dealer flash and is the most expensive, but many like it because it’s factory. Kiwi/Bunker industries has plug and play options available on amazon that many seem to be happy with and are fairly inexpensive (be sure to get the newer models that gave adjustable screws so you don’t have to use washers to aim them). Oracle and Quake are also fairly popular options that are also plug and play. I believe all of these require you to run or splice a wire for power to the DRL halos.

I haven’t decided what my plan is, so in the meantime I put LED bulbs in the stock halogen housings (many think this is a no-no, but I’ll see how it works out for me). Just installed them today but they seem to be great for the money. Others on the forum have said good things about them as well.

What I got:
Headlights: BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yMG0Db8KZWSBN

Fog lights: Alla Lighting CANBUS 2504 PSX24W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1YU2TS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sahara DRLs/turn signals: Jeep JL Front Turn Signal DRL LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJDWD4X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Passenger side fog is still a halogen for comparison:
Thanks for this post. I wasn't going to bother with an LED upgrade and sure as heck wasn't going to plop down big money to do it (honestly don't know how much it would be - that's how much attention I payed to the subject). But when I saw your post I figured what the heck, if I can do it for under 100 bucks I'm OK with that (didn't bother with the running lights). I didn't spend hours and hours doing research, reading reviews, etc. thanks to you. Got them last weeks and took less than 1/2 hour to install. Very pleased, better lighting and no one is flashing me. Great tip!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just ignore people who won't help you. LEDs are amazing in halogen housings if you do your research and don't buy ebay junk.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Well, obviously people have, but what is involved? Is it plug and play? Or are new harnesses needed? And has this been done on a sport?
Edit: I should probably also state that in no way do I find the halogens bad, or dangerous, I find them quite good actually. Just have the urge to upgrade lol.
I am having the OEM LEDs installed on my Sport S on Saturday by the dealership. I purchased them online from an authorized MOPAR distributor for $745 which included shipping. (they retail for $900 + the sales tax would have been $957 total so I saved $200) The Jeep came with factory LED taillights.

Then I plan to purchase the steel Rubicon bumper as it comes with the OEM LED fog lights for $820. The bumper is an easy install and does not require dealer to flash BCM when connecting the LED fog lights.

Than I'll upgrade the turn signals (DRLs?) to LED those are $218 ea. but require dealer to flash the BCM.

This is my first Jeep - Im finding out just empty every pocket is a reality!

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
This is going to be lengthy --- but this is a review on a set from amazon. I will be getting a refund back for supplying them a review + photos + video

Link to the lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZKGNX6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally had a pair of cheaper 7” Halo LED headlights. I liked the light output, but there was a lack of adjustability and essentially no cut off line. One of the halos decided to stop working, so I’ve been on the look for a new pair.

I had these favorited for a long time and decided to pull the trigger. A few things convinced me. 1) 9” headlight means no adapter! 2) Different style than a lot of other lights on the market. 3) The reviews and video made it seem these lights had great output and cutoff so I don’t blind oncoming traffic.

On to the lights!

Amazon shipping --- hard to beat. Took 3 days (over the weekend) to show up.

Packaging --- very secure and no issue with damaging the lights during transport.

Initial impression --- Lights seems to be of great quality. They look great and come with everything that is needed for installation. Comes with anti-flicker harnesses for each light, wire harness for DRL, fuse tap + 5 amp fuse to power DRLs, cable tie downs and allen wrench for adjustments. Does come with installation instructions as well if you need them.

Installation --- Now keep in mind, I did already have wires ran for my previous lights to enable DRL. I believe if your Jeep did not come with DRL, you have 2 choices. 1) Use a tazer to enable DRL or 2) run a wire to the fuse box and use a fuse tap to tap into the Heated Seat fuse (regardless of if your Jeep came with heated seats or not). Be sure to run 2 fuses of the same Amp on the fuse tap to have DRL and Heated seats when the Jeep is running. I am using 2 20 amp micro fuses **Photos shown**

For a typical install follow the steps below

1) Open hood and remove grill. It is kept in place by some simple clips and about 6 push pins. Remove the push pins using a trim removal tool, then start at one end and pull slowly and gently. Work your way to other end and remove grill. Once removed place the grill on a soft towel to not scratch the finish. This is a great time to clean everything as well!

2) Remove Headlights. You will need a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the headlight in place. Disconnect the OEM connector. Once removed place the headlights on a soft towel to not scratch the finish.

3) Now would be a good time to run your wire along the passenger to the fuse box and down to the driver’s side. Do not install the fuse tap yet. Pictures shown.

4) Mount the anti-flicker harness (I used a cable tie to keep it in place). Connect the OEM harness to the anti-harness and with the plastic still on the new headlights, connect the lights to the anti-flicker harness and the DRL connector (not a push lock, it is a screw lock). Install the headlight into the OEM bracket and fasten with the OEM hardware using the 10 mm wrench or socket.

5) Finish installing the fusetap and test light functions (DRL, Low Beam and High Beam)

6) Adjust low beam cutoffs using the screw on the back of the headlight. I used my garage door and backed away 25 feet and put the cutoff at 3 feet.

7) Reinstall grill.

Use --- This is where I got sold on the lights. The output is better than the cheaper LEDs I had installed which were already leaps and bounds ahead of the OEM halogen lights. The major difference is the very defined cutoffs of the low beams compared to OEM and the cheaper LEDs. This makes it nicer to drive in bad weather (no warp speed in snow anymore) and it doesn’t blind other drivers. Halos are nice and bright and don’t have a yellowish tint to them either. Very nice bright white look.

Final Impression – Build quality seems great and install was very straightforward. No flickering and very bright low beams. The high beams are very impressive! The low beams have a great cutoff and I no longer feel like I am blinding on coming with the older cheap LEDs I had installed. I like the way these look and function and would recommend to others.
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg

Sponsored

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 crew cab black out
There are many threads out there cover LED headlights in depth.

The short of it is Mopar has a conversion kit that requires a dealer flash and is the most expensive, but many like it because it’s factory. Kiwi/Bunker industries has plug and play options available on amazon that many seem to be happy with and are fairly inexpensive (be sure to get the newer models that gave adjustable screws so you don’t have to use washers to aim them). Oracle and Quake are also fairly popular options that are also plug and play. I believe all of these require you to run or splice a wire for power to the DRL halos.

I haven’t decided what my plan is, so in the meantime I put LED bulbs in the stock halogen housings (many think this is a no-no, but I’ll see how it works out for me). Just installed them today but they seem to be great for the money. Others on the forum have said good things about them as well.

What I got:
Headlights: BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yMG0Db8KZWSBN

Fog lights: Alla Lighting CANBUS 2504 PSX24W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1YU2TS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sahara DRLs/turn signals: Jeep JL Front Turn Signal DRL LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJDWD4X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Passenger side fog is still a halogen for comparison:

0166E846-FABF-4510-9BD8-2D932E96E78B.jpeg
Does anyone know if these work for the sport model. I see the turn signal lights do not in description. Do the fogs and main headlamp replacement bulbs work in a sport model jl?

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Last edited:

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prob a dumb question. Do you have to disconnect the battery to install these?

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Prob a dumb question. Do you have to disconnect the battery to install these?
No but you may consider removing the grill to access the headlight bulbs easier

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is going to be lengthy --- but this is a review on a set from amazon. I will be getting a refund back for supplying them a review + photos + video

Link to the lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZKGNX6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally had a pair of cheaper 7” Halo LED headlights. I liked the light output, but there was a lack of adjustability and essentially no cut off line. One of the halos decided to stop working, so I’ve been on the look for a new pair.

I had these favorited for a long time and decided to pull the trigger. A few things convinced me. 1) 9” headlight means no adapter! 2) Different style than a lot of other lights on the market. 3) The reviews and video made it seem these lights had great output and cutoff so I don’t blind oncoming traffic.

On to the lights!

Amazon shipping --- hard to beat. Took 3 days (over the weekend) to show up.

Packaging --- very secure and no issue with damaging the lights during transport.

Initial impression --- Lights seems to be of great quality. They look great and come with everything that is needed for installation. Comes with anti-flicker harnesses for each light, wire harness for DRL, fuse tap + 5 amp fuse to power DRLs, cable tie downs and allen wrench for adjustments. Does come with installation instructions as well if you need them.

Installation --- Now keep in mind, I did already have wires ran for my previous lights to enable DRL. I believe if your Jeep did not come with DRL, you have 2 choices. 1) Use a tazer to enable DRL or 2) run a wire to the fuse box and use a fuse tap to tap into the Heated Seat fuse (regardless of if your Jeep came with heated seats or not). Be sure to run 2 fuses of the same Amp on the fuse tap to have DRL and Heated seats when the Jeep is running. I am using 2 20 amp micro fuses **Photos shown**

For a typical install follow the steps below

1) Open hood and remove grill. It is kept in place by some simple clips and about 6 push pins. Remove the push pins using a trim removal tool, then start at one end and pull slowly and gently. Work your way to other end and remove grill. Once removed place the grill on a soft towel to not scratch the finish. This is a great time to clean everything as well!

2) Remove Headlights. You will need a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the headlight in place. Disconnect the OEM connector. Once removed place the headlights on a soft towel to not scratch the finish.

3) Now would be a good time to run your wire along the passenger to the fuse box and down to the driver’s side. Do not install the fuse tap yet. Pictures shown.

4) Mount the anti-flicker harness (I used a cable tie to keep it in place). Connect the OEM harness to the anti-harness and with the plastic still on the new headlights, connect the lights to the anti-flicker harness and the DRL connector (not a push lock, it is a screw lock). Install the headlight into the OEM bracket and fasten with the OEM hardware using the 10 mm wrench or socket.

5) Finish installing the fusetap and test light functions (DRL, Low Beam and High Beam)

6) Adjust low beam cutoffs using the screw on the back of the headlight. I used my garage door and backed away 25 feet and put the cutoff at 3 feet.

7) Reinstall grill.

Use --- This is where I got sold on the lights. The output is better than the cheaper LEDs I had installed which were already leaps and bounds ahead of the OEM halogen lights. The major difference is the very defined cutoffs of the low beams compared to OEM and the cheaper LEDs. This makes it nicer to drive in bad weather (no warp speed in snow anymore) and it doesn’t blind other drivers. Halos are nice and bright and don’t have a yellowish tint to them either. Very nice bright white look.

Final Impression – Build quality seems great and install was very straightforward. No flickering and very bright low beams. The high beams are very impressive! The low beams have a great cutoff and I no longer feel like I am blinding on coming with the older cheap LEDs I had installed. I like the way these look and function and would recommend to others.
Great writeup! Would be nice to see how the DRLs look w/ a pic in daylight (from a distance). Nice that they even include the fuse tap and look to be well packaged.
Can you adjust the lights w/ the grill installed or is it just too tight back there?
My split halo DRLs have a cutoff that looks like a cloud against the garage door, sad about that :(
Nice to hear these exceeded your expectations and perform well, look forward to more pics if you don't mind Chris.
Thanks!

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help. Got my headlights and fogs installed today. Now. Does anyone know of a good recommended reverse light to brighten that up?

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Great writeup! Would be nice to see how the DRLs look w/ a pic in daylight (from a distance). Nice that they even include the fuse tap and look to be well packaged.
Can you adjust the lights w/ the grill installed or is it just too tight back there?
My split halo DRLs have a cutoff that looks like a cloud against the garage door, sad about that :(
Nice to hear these exceeded your expectations and perform well, look forward to more pics if you don't mind Chris.
Thanks!

You bet .... I'll grab a few photos in the next few days. I also finally drove with them at night and the high beams lit up the road like a light bar would. It was pretty great. I'll check if I can adjust with the grill on or not when I get home. Shoot me a PM if want more info into possibly getting hooked up with these for free for a review/photos/videos. I just submitted my amazon review, so once it posts, hopefully I get a full payment into paypal.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Awesome, thanks!
Sponsored