Sponsored

Has anyone swapped from halogens to leds?

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Well, obviously people have, but what is involved? Is it plug and play? Or are new harnesses needed? And has this been done on a sport?
Edit: I should probably also state that in no way do I find the halogens bad, or dangerous, I find them quite good actually. Just have the urge to upgrade lol.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
There are many threads out there cover LED headlights in depth.

The short of it is Mopar has a conversion kit that requires a dealer flash and is the most expensive, but many like it because it’s factory. Kiwi/Bunker industries has plug and play options available on amazon that many seem to be happy with and are fairly inexpensive (be sure to get the newer models that gave adjustable screws so you don’t have to use washers to aim them). Oracle and Quake are also fairly popular options that are also plug and play. I believe all of these require you to run or splice a wire for power to the DRL halos.

I haven’t decided what my plan is, so in the meantime I put LED bulbs in the stock halogen housings (many think this is a no-no, but I’ll see how it works out for me). Just installed them today but they seem to be great for the money. Others on the forum have said good things about them as well.

What I got:
Headlights: BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yMG0Db8KZWSBN

Fog lights: Alla Lighting CANBUS 2504 PSX24W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1YU2TS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sahara DRLs/turn signals: Jeep JL Front Turn Signal DRL LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJDWD4X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Passenger side fog is still a halogen for comparison:

0166E846-FABF-4510-9BD8-2D932E96E78B.jpeg

Gatorhead96

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu
I went with headlight revolution led bulbs in my halogen reflectors and put the amber fog bulbs. Major improvement from stock halogen.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
For those who had not ordered yet order the jl with led lighting group. It's pretty inexpensive plus they come with led fog lights.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

The short of it is Mopar has a conversion kit that requires a dealer flash and is the most expensive, but many like it because it’s factory. Kiwi/Bunker industries has plug and play options available on amazon that many seem to be happy with and are fairly inexpensive (be sure to get the newer models that gave adjustable screws so you don’t have to use washers to aim them). Oracle and Quake are also fairly popular options that are also plug and play. I believe all of these require you to run or splice a wire for power to the DRL halos.

I haven’t decided what my plan is, so in the meantime I put LED bulbs in the stock halogen housings (many think this is a no-no, but I’ll see how it works out for me). Just installed them today but they seem to be great for the money. Others on the forum have said good things about them as well.

What I got:
Headlights: BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yMG0Db8KZWSBN

Fog lights: Alla Lighting CANBUS 2504 PSX24W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1YU2TS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sahara DRLs/turn signals: Jeep JL Front Turn Signal DRL LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJDWD4X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It is a no-go because you fucking blind people and make the roads less safe. It’s not about how it works out for you, it’s about how it doesn’t work for people driving the opposite way.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
It is a no-go because you fucking blind people and make the roads less safe. It’s not about how it works out for you, it’s about how it doesn’t work for people driving the opposite way.
I definitely understand that, which is why I got the lowest output LEDs they offered. After I installed them I stood in front of the Jeep at several different distances and i honestly didn’t feel that it was blinding unless you were staring directly at the housing right in front of the Jeep.

I kept an eye on it my entire commute this morning and paid attention to where the beam pattern was hitting drivers both in front of me traveling in my direction as well as oncoming traffic and didn’t notice any issues. If anyone flashes me or I notice them going directly into windshields, I’ll aim them down or just take them out. I’m at stock ride height with the stock rake and think they’re aimed to not blind people.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Damn dude, upset much? I have the same beamtechs in a halogen housing, :surprised:
They throw the same cutoff as the halogen bulbs, I have tested at night both meeting and being followed by my Jeep. I wasn't blinded and didn't have any otherwordly experiences because of "scattered" light. I compared the LEDs to the halogen bulbs and the hi/lo chips are placed in the same spot relative the halogen filaments (see below), soooooo they cast light at the same reflectors with the same angles. When I am following other cars, I don't light up their interior, can tell a definite cutoff just below the top of the trunk for most cars, and have NEVER been flashed.
Now playing devils advocate, I can see where just a standard LED bulb would reflect all over the place, maybe that's what your experience it based on. But these are designed specifically to mimic the halogen filaments and perform well. If you have other scientific evidence that LED light travels in different planes than standard filament produced light, please share.
Just MHO.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I started driving when all there was were sealed beams and then halogens were the amazing breakthrough. I had a GTI with Bi-xenon and they were fine. The wife has LED's on her Pilot and I like them. I think I'm going to go with the Oracle LED replacement bulbs as soon as I can get a few dollars ahead, hard to do this time of year and the bastards I work for cut out overtime.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Read this and educate yourself :

Damn dude, upset much? I have the same beamtechs in a halogen housing, :surprised:
They throw the same cutoff as the halogen bulbs, I have tested at night both meeting and being followed by my Jeep. I wasn't blinded and didn't have any otherwordly experiences because of "scattered" light. I compared the LEDs to the halogen bulbs and the hi/lo chips are placed in the same spot relative the halogen filaments (see below), soooooo they cast light at the same reflectors with the same angles. When I am following other cars, I don't light up their interior, can tell a definite cutoff just below the top of the trunk for most cars, and have NEVER been flashed.
Now playing devils advocate, I can see where just a standard LED bulb would reflect all over the place, maybe that's what your experience it based on. But these are designed specifically to mimic the halogen filaments and perform well. If you have other scientific evidence that LED light travels in different planes than standard filament produced light, please share.
Just MHO.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely understand that, which is why I got the lowest output LEDs they offered. After I installed them I stood in front of the Jeep at several different distances and i honestly didn’t feel that it was blinding unless you were staring directly at the housing right in front of the Jeep.

I kept an eye on it my entire commute this morning and paid attention to where the beam pattern was hitting drivers both in front of me traveling in my direction as well as oncoming traffic and didn’t notice any issues. If anyone flashes me or I notice them going directly into windshields, I’ll aim them down or just take them out. I’m at stock ride height with the stock rake and think they’re aimed to not blind people.
Just MHO.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Read this and educate yourself :
Well damn, that’s interesting. To be honest I’m not going to do any research beyond what y’all comment on here; I’m not in the market for new bulbs and ain’t nobody got time for that, so thanks for sharing the knowledge. And the OP didn’t seem to have put that level of thought into it based on his original post; it came across as “eh, if they work they work.”

All I base my comments on is what I see out on the streets. I’ve been blinded by less-scrupulous TJ/JK owners, among many other makes and models of course, and I hate it. If this does in fact work then that’s great, everyone use these instead of what’s going on out there.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Someone needs to show the manufacturers how to aim headlights, can't tell you how many newer cars I see with projector bulbs that aim right oncoming traffic. :) Hard to tell brights from bad aiming anymore.

Mud Yapster

First Name
Mud Yapster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

What I got:

Thanks for the information.
I felt like we couldn't see at night 1st having older eyes and halogen bulbs to boot. I ordered these and the difference is awsome. Ordered the replacement LED fogs this morning as well. We are new to the Jeep world and can't seem to stop driving the darn thing. LOL
Thanks again for helping with the oem dim light replacement.

Party Marty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0

What I got:

Just like Mud Yapster, I’m new to the Jeep world and spent most of my money today at Quadratec on mats and other BS. What I had left I dropped on the same sets of lights listed above. Thanks for doing all the legwork for me!

Party Marty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0
Installed today. I’m getting a fast flash on just the passenger turn signal though. Weird. Will contact the manufacturer. $100.25 well spent.

F3B3C642-4345-47AA-946C-446CE4CBCD5E.jpeg

dsievert66

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Technology and Analytics
Well, obviously people have, but what is involved? Is it plug and play? Or are new harnesses needed? And has this been done on a sport?
Edit: I should probably also state that in no way do I find the halogens bad, or dangerous, I find them quite good actually. Just have the urge to upgrade lol.
I upgraded both the headlight and fog lights to LED using the Headlight Revolution V4 conversion bulbs. Love them--super bright and much cheaper that some of the other options. But as others have stated, there are ton's of options depending on what you are looking for.
Sponsored