Sponsored

Has anyone seen Half Doors in real photos / in person?

TJdesersand

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Windstar
here's a question that i'm sure someone can answer. If i have a 2018 JLU base sport (manual windows, mirrors and locks) can i get a set of half doors without the power mirrors and locks
?
So far as I know, the JL generation is the first to force a dual door group purchase. E.g., YJs came standard with half doors and soft uppers; full-size doors were an a la carte option.

Jeep owners have lived through winter with soft uppers for generations now.
No, We just through on our full hard doors. Half doors, even adjusted perfect, are not going to thrill all. everyone
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Just wondering, how tall are you? I am 6 foot tall and wonder if this would obstruct my view of the mirror with the seat all the way back.

It baffles me why they did this. I don’t see a reason. Blocks visibility so much.
I'm six foot tall also and it doesn't obstruct my view at all. They did it so you can zip the window down without damaging it to pay tolls, pick up fast food and cruise with the window down. I agree it would have been better without the divider, but there is a lot more dash for the window to clear than on a TJ. I get why they did it.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I'm six foot tall also and it doesn't obstruct my view at all. They did it so you can zip the window down without damaging it to pay tolls, pick up fast food and cruise with the window down. I agree it would have been better without the divider, but there is a lot more dash for the window to clear than on a TJ. I get why they did it.
I see. They did it to avoid the dash all together when the window is folded down. I wish they designed the dashboard better.

On the JK I do like to open the door to unzip the window and tuck it down between the door and dash nicely. On JK there is space built-in between the dash and the door for the window to fit nicely in between.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Just wondering, how tall are you? I am 6 foot tall and wonder if this would obstruct my view of the mirror with the seat all the way back.

It baffles me why they did this. I don’t see a reason. Blocks visibility so much.
I see. They did it to avoid the dash all together when the window is folded down. I wish they designed the dashboard better.

On the JK I do like to open the door to unzip the window and tuck it down between the door and dash nicely. On JK there is space built-in between the dash and the door for the window to fit nicely in between.
I wonder why Jeep didn't design these door uppers as sliders. Guessing it because of side impact (aka legal exposure) issues. Sliders are much more convenient.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I wonder why Jeep didn't design these door uppers as sliders. Guessing it because of side impact (aka legal exposure) issues.

Sliders are much more convenient.
Aftermarket soft uppers with sliders were usually available in the J.C. Whitney print catalog (peace be upon its name.)

I had considered sliders for my YJ, but decided against them. Having seen a few of them in person, the panels, when slid open, weren't much larger than the old-style vent windows on cars.

Folding down the factory vinyl window panels on my YJ was only mildly inconvenient, but they let in much more air. More importantly, they didn't require contortions or perfect vehicle alignment (as a slider would) when pulling up to a drive-thru window or a toll booth.

How much smaller would a slider necessarily be on the current JL soft upper design, which now adds a vertical divider to create a non-functioning vent window aesthetic?

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Believe it or not, I had sliders on my jk and they were a terrible idea. It only allowed half the window to be open so it made putting your arm out difficult. Drive through a were also a challenge.

Plus they added a ton of weight to the door. I'll take the vinyl window any day.
Sponsored