Sponsored

Has anyone run both BFG KO2 and Goodyear Duratrac?

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
The Duratrac seems to rate better on tirerack at least initially but I've read that thye can get loud if not rotated often. I read through the reviews and both tires seem to have a lot of good reviews and I know the BFG seems to be well liked on here. Does the duratrac feel sloppy on the road compaired to the BFG? I plan on getting a new set of wheels and tires sometime between now and winter and my biggest concerns are traction as the tire wears, comfort, and driving on bad roads. My off roading will probably be fairly mild but the trails in my area tend to get pretty slippery when wet and I would like to have some confidence when I hit the mud.
Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I had BFGs on my Tacoma and Sportsmobile for a long time, then switched to the Duratracs on the Tacoma because I saw good reviews, etc.

I did not notice any normal road performance difference - but I did not have the Duras long enough to watch wear or to drive in snow. (I sold the Tacoma to buy the JL).

My immediate and only complaint was that I noticed a significant - and to me unwelcome - increase in noise. I didn't have them long enough to rotate and have anything get worse - they were loud(er) to me right out of the store. Some folks mind that less than me, so... YMMV

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I ran through a set of Duratracs on my old TJ that was my daily driver at the time. On the road, I had zero complaints when they were new at least. Great in the snow (3 peak snow flake rated), good in the rain, light weight, and compliant. However, their performance dropped significantly as they aged. I finally ditched them after 5 years after I slid through a stop sign since they had gotten so hard.

As far as Duratrac vs KO2, here are my subjective opinions with the tires mounted on different vehicles.
  • Snow performance when new: both are excellent.
  • Road noise: similar
  • Durability: I have personally seen at least 5 shredded sidewalls on load range C Duratracs. I never had issues with them personally, but several of my friends did. I have not seen KO2s shred like that.
  • Mud: It seemed like that Duratracs shed mud better than the KO2s, but probably only slightly better.
IMO the KO2s are a better value since they're cheaper and seem to perform in a more well rounded manner.

That said, I'll likely be trying out the Toyo Open Country ATIIIs next.

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
I've had both. The hummer guys (I was one once) swear by duratracs and I put them on my daughter's jeep as a "set-it-and-foget-it" option for her frequent snow and ice driving. I've also had duratracs on a zr2, more used for mud, dirt, and mild rocks.

I've had the bfg's on numerous jeeps, an old blazer, and a bronco (don't shoot me).

In my experience the duratracs were better if I didn't want to think about getting traction in mild snow and ice situations. They were good on icy roads when I wanted to go fast and stop quick. They seemed to reach their mud limit quickly and didn't clean out with the speed limitations I had when in 4low.

The bfg's were better in mud, deep snow, wet grass, and generally anywhere I had to "dig" a bit for traction. They throw more rocks, but that means they're grabbing them. I run them currently and wouldn't replace them with duratracs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, those reviews have me leaning back towards the BFG.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Thanks, those reviews have me leaning back towards the BFG.
Does anyone know if there have been any revisions to the Duratrac? One thing that makes me like the KO2 better (especially for the cost) is that it is a newer tire with a newer compound. Duratrac has been around for a looooong time at this point with no obvious changes.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I have to run Goodyears on my work truck, a 3/4 ton Ram, and I drive A LOT offroad in all sorts of terrain, so subsequently I run the Duratracs. I also run 45-50 psi in the tires becuase I can't legally tow anything (I also prefer a smoother ride than 80psi tires) and I rarely haul anything in the bed and I can't get 30k miles out of them because they chunk out terribly.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Dont forget loud tires are louder in a JL vs something like a ram or silverado. More tollerable in those quieter trucks.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Duratracs are significantly better in snow and are better in mud too. KO2s have stronger sidewalls and are less prone to punctures. They also ride better on the street and are quieter. Both wear out relatively same. I’d rotate often with either choice.

Neither tire is “better” it just depends which tire suits your needs more. KO2s are more of an an all around tire, a true All Terrain while Duratracs fit a niche for people that deal with snow often and offroad but don’t play in rocks too often.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I am on my third set of DT of our JK. Love them and have had no issues at all. Will keep going with them. Use these on heavy wooded trails and mud. No Moab type rock crawing but there are rocks and such in the woods. Dt's have been great in rain and snow. They can get louder as they wear but have you listened to everything else on your Jeep??

Replaced the factory KO2 on the JL with 35" KO2's. While both were great on road and in rain/snow. They threw rocks and were pretty bad in mud. Switched to the Firestone MT2's and would not go back to the KO2's. If anything changes, the next tires on the JL will be DT's.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am on my third set of DT of our JK. Love them and have had no issues at all. Will keep going with them. Use these on heavy wooded trails and mud. No Moab type rock crawing but there are rocks and such in the woods. Dt's have been great in rain and snow. They can get louder as they wear but have you listened to everything else on your Jeep??

Replaced the factory KO2 on the JL with 35" KO2's. While both were great on road and in rain/snow. They threw rocks and were pretty bad in mud. Switched to the Firestone MT2's and would not go back to the KO2's. If anything changes, the next tires on the JL will be DT's.
My Bridgestones throw rocks like crazy. I'm trying to find the blend for on road comfort but won't slide me into a tree on a muddy trail or feel unsafe on icy roads. I drove for about 10 years in a Wrangler SE with easy lock breaks a front ls/locker and a rear detroit without any issues. I just don't want to start modifiying in a way to wear I'm tempted to take my JL on trails that are going to leave it beat up. My TJ got to the point that the trails and obsticals that were fun were also the ones that causes the most damage.

I don't really consider my JL loud but the soft top does let some noise in on the highway.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The forum (and most) are good at fostering overthinking. Do not over analyze - make the best choice and live with it until you can change them out. I will not buy another set of KO2's - not that I hate them - there are definitely better ones out their checking my boxes.

Our JK is not a Rubicon and does not have lockers. It has gotten me unstuck many times.

My only complaint with the DT's is the price.

swelch7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Have run both, duratracs got loud and slippery on wet roads after about 40k miles, still had some tread on them when I sold them. KO2's will dry rot before they wear out in my experience.

Running Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Tundra now and I really like them so far. Going to put some Falken AT3's on wife's 4runner and give them a try too.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've had both. The BFG KO2 has better road manners. The Goodyear Duratrac outperforms the KO2 in winter weather conditions, no comparison in this aspect.
Sponsored