Sponsored

has anyone resisted a throttle enhancer after trying?

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel injection showed up in the Camaro and Mustang in the 80s.

First generation of each of those cars was in the 60s. They were up to the 4th generation each by 93/94.
True story but they were throttle body injected until the 90's and thus the reason I said 1st Gen throttle bodies. Not vehicle, yes the 90s were 4th and 5th generation. But for direct port injection and full drive by wire throttle bodies were in 94.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
True story but they were throttle body injected until the 90's
The Camaro got tuned port injection from 1985 through 1992. The Ford HO was port injection in 1986 as well.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Camaro got tuned port injection from 1985 through 1992. The Ford HO was port injection in the 80s as well.
Hmmm... I'm googling now... it's been years since I've been under fox body.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Camaro got tuned port injection from 1985 through 1992. The Ford HO was port injection in 1986 as well.
You are correct and I stand corrected..87 was the first direct port injection Mustang. And 89/90 for the Camaro. I'm getting old!

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
You are correct and I stand corrected..87 was the first direct port injection Mustang. And 89/90 for the Camaro. I'm getting old!
TPI showed up in the Corvette and Camaro in 1985. Ford HO got port injection in 1986. That was right about the time I was old enough to get my license so I remember it well.

Second generation GM port fuel injection showed up in 1992 in the Corvette and in 1993 in the Camaro. Ford went to the 4.6 modular motor and injection in 1995 or so. I was always more of a GM fan and remember them better.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Do they come with preset modes or "tunes"? I'm all for a better running diesel and care less about the speed and 0-60, but I'm not about to go down the road of guessing settings such as when you do a bunch of mods to a turbo'd car and need the ECU remapped after this and that, including a dyno tune etc. Does it let the diesel be happier as a diesel basically? And what does each module do, Banks vs Derringer. I'm good with pulling it for any factory warranty things within the first 36k or extended time, just reset to OEM specs and have the work done, then restore?
Does the banks one with i dash super gauge let u see regents and other info or is that just the tuner thing?
Banks is the company, Derringer is their performance booster, PedalMonster is their throttle improvement module. The have preset levels you can select, you don’t get to tweak anything. The iDash can monitor everything on its own, just plugs into the ODB, you can change what you monitor to anything on their list. None of what Banks offers for the 3.0 is a true tuner that modifies the ECU, they intercept signals and alter thresholds. It is advised you pull the derringer and pedalmonster when going in to service.

Omotose

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Recon
I ran a Pedal Commander on my 2017 Ram with the 6.4 hemi for about 8 months. Then it lost its mind and locked into limp mode. I tore it out and gave up on it.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Just watch the first minute or so of the video and you will see what they all do...granted this is an advertisement against knockoffs so you don't need to watch the whole thing unless it intrigues you like it did me.

So, I guess I was right . . . and wrong!

It doesn't reduce "input lag". If you slow the video down and measure it to the millisecond, there is still the same amount of input lag (8 frames of that video, regardless of if the unit is off, green/4 or red/9).

However, I see that there is a definite lag difference between WOT with the unit on and off.

I might have to get one of these and try it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I ran a Pedal Commander on my 2017 Ram with the 6.4 hemi for about 8 months. Then it lost its mind and locked into limp mode. I tore it out and gave up on it.
Throttle enhancers are not ideal for a naturally aspirated engine. Before it malfunctioned did it feel like it worked? FWIW, I'm only advocating for the Ecodiesel application.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Not sure if you're joking, but If you'd ever driven a throttle enhancer equipped Ecodiesel, you wouldn't ask. That said, it's a logical question, but, no, you can't get the same effect by pushing the accelerator harder. [unless you have the consistent precision of a robot. Wait...that's basically what a throttle enhancer is. :)]

This is one of those products that must be experienced. I asked my original question because it's hard to believe that an owner could try one and be anything but delighted.

It literally transforms the driving experience. I'm just trying to share the wealth.
Now you got me thinking. So what dose it do on a diesel? I understand what it's doing with a gas engine and changing the speed the throttle plate opens. Correct me if I am wrong, but air doesn't get throttled in a diesel. if so, what are you changing with one of these?

TurboTime

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 3.0L
I recently traded my 2020 GC North Edition for a 2022 Ram 4x4 Truck. The GC North package had a factory ‘Sport’ button on the dash that acted like a ‘Pedal Commander’ and made the engine RPM/throttle response 3X better. It was sweet. I recently ordered a diesel Wrangler and will definitely be adding a Pedal Commander to it.
It may be worth taking a close look at the Banks PedalMonster. It's the only one with Reverse Safety. It puts you back to stock in reverse gear.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
wouldn't that be 60 months/100,000 miles ? (at least, that's what it says for my Powertrain Warranty.)

[snip] I'm good with pulling it for any factory warranty things within the first 36k or extended time, just reset to OEM specs and have the work done, then restore?
Sponsored