Sponsored

Has anyone reinforced the Mopar Rear Steel Bumper?

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
On my most recent off road outing, I went over an obstacle and came down on the rear end. Not overly hard but apparently hard enough to show me the rear steel bumper mounts aren't worth a damn. The right side of the bumper sits up higher than it did and the mounting bracket gouged the pinch weld of the tub. The brackets are pretty thin and while it might do alright coming down in the middle, it's easy to see why coming down on either side is bad. I checked it out this morning thinking about welding in some reinforcement and while I'm sure it can be done, it doesn't look like it will be very easy to come up with something that will take a very good hit. Before I delve into it to much, I am curious to know if anyone else has tried to reinforce the mounting and if so, what did you do?

Ultimately I'm going to try and work with it as I like the looks of it but if I can't do something to make me feel better about it, I'll upgrade to aftermarket.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone reinforced the Mopar Rear Steel Bumper? thumbnail_20200926_090325
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone reinforced the Mopar Rear Steel Bumper? thumbnail_20200926_090457
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone reinforced the Mopar Rear Steel Bumper? thumbnail_20200926_090502
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone reinforced the Mopar Rear Steel Bumper? thumbnail_20200926_090519
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone reinforced the Mopar Rear Steel Bumper? thumbnail_20200926_090613
Sponsored

broncoguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ford Bronco, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
I have thought about out this same thing. I came down on it off a ledge at the Rubicon last year and the bumper lightly kissed the tub.

Was thinking I could take the brackets to a fabricator to see if they could bend some up with plate steel. I like the look of the OEM bumper and if it could be reinforced reasonably it might be worth it.

We'll see if I get around to it.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I added the Rusty’s Offroad Rear Fascia. Now those mounts hit the bottom of the Rusty’s plate and the tub stays protected. I ran into the same thing you did before I added it. Figured this would be easier than strengthening the mounts and protects from future damage.

I know some others have removed those bumper side mounts entirely.

OP
OP
chain

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
I added the Rusty’s Offroad Rear Fascia. Now those mounts hit the bottom of the Rusty’s plate and the tub stays protected. I ran into the same thing you did before I added it. Figured this would be easier than strengthening the mounts and protects from future damage.

I know some others have removed those bumper side mounts entirely.
I think that's the answer! I hadn't seen that before and that will take care of gouging the tub. I am sure I can bend the brackets and mess with it to get the bumper level again. Also something good to have even if I went with another bumper at some point being that most bumpers don't wrap all the way around the bottom of those corners. Thanks for the help!

Mrbluepencil

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2021
Hi Mark,
Firstly, great build. Love your Jeep!
I am looking to replace my plastic stock rear bumper on my JLU Rubicon, but I can only find Mopar ones online without provisions for the sensors. I noticed your rear steel bumper has the sensor too. Can you please tell me how you found one with the sensors? Or did you have to add the holes yourself and then connect the sensors? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Marco

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mark,
Firstly, great build. Love your Jeep!
I am looking to replace my plastic stock rear bumper on my JLU Rubicon, but I can only find Mopar ones online without provisions for the sensors. I noticed your rear steel bumper has the sensor too. Can you please tell me how you found one with the sensors? Or did you have to add the holes yourself and then connect the sensors? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Marco

I’m guessing you are asking me? I bought my Jeep with the steel bumper already on it.

Mrbluepencil

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2021
Sorry. Yes the question was intended for you Mark. Im new in the forums and not sure how it all works.
I can have jeep install a steel factory bumper on my Rubicon but they say it won’t have sensors. Which for me is a deal breaker. Hence me shopping for options.
Thanks and all the best.
Marco
Sponsored