Sponsored

Has anyone put their windshield down for just running around town?

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I used to ride a motorcycle and I've been hit in the neck with bugs at 30mph and it doesn't feel good..... windshield is staying up for me. Maybe I'd put id down on a trail but that's the only time.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Haven’t dropped mine and not going to. IMO should not have been made to do so. I think it might cause more problems that normally would not be. Also cost to manufacture adds to cost overall. How many people do you think use the fold down option? The original jeep was fold down so you could shoot straight and mount your recolless. Don’t think any one has a cannon to mount but could be wrong. Just my 2 cents worth.
Although those may have been unintended uses of a folding windshield on the OG Jeep, I believe the reason the windshield folded flat was to allow easy shipping in rectangle crates in ships across the Atlantic in WW2...

RockinMojito

First Name
Sawyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Although those may have been unintended uses of a folding windshield on the OG Jeep, I believe the reason the windshield folded flat was to allow easy shipping in rectangle crates in ships across the Atlantic in WW2...
The windshield folded flat so they could stack Jeeps during shipping, that's why the fenders were flat too. Better utilization of shipping container, rail car. etc. Google image it, there's some cool pictures.

Fox-Trot

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It would not feel good to take a rock to the face at 40 MPH.

Sponsored

RockinMojito

First Name
Sawyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Folded my windshield down last summer around the 4th while in the UP. Was a lot of fun, just another unique way to drive a Jeep. Hit speeds up to 45mph, not the best being very loud and higher wind resistance. Cruising around under 40 was much better and enjoyable. Will definitely be doing it again!

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone put their windshield down for just running around town? 20210703_111118

300K06TJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler
Check out my avatar! I have and I do. I'm out in the country, and I take backroads, but I have run into town periodically. I really enjoy it. I have both passed by and had police behind me, never been a problem. I wear safety goggles and only smile in bug free zones :) I also used to with my YJ.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Folded my windshield down last summer around the 4th while in the UP. Was a lot of fun, just another unique way to drive a Jeep. Hit speeds up to 45mph, not the best being very loud and higher wind resistance. Cruising around under 40 was much better and enjoyable. Will definitely be doing it again!

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone put their windshield down for just running around town? 20210703_111118
Man this pic has me ready for warmer weather so I can doors off/top down.....

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

On a JL if you fold the window down, then fold it back up can you get the weather seal to keep the water out? I know that on a TJ/LJ if you ever folded the window down you'd never get the seal to work again and you'd have water dripping through during a rainstorm. On my really old CJ-7 it leaked everywhere all the time, so running with the window down made no difference.

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Not the same in a JL. Old school Jeeps, the windshield and frame went down. Now we have a windowless frame. LOL

Not saying any Jeep is better than the other. I dont see the need to drop the windshield.

quintyng

First Name
Quintyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have the SOT, and it is designed that you cannot fold the front windshield down. Although I’m sure there’s a work-around here in the forums. I used to ride crotch rockets and getting hit with random debris and the elements was not fun at all. Rain felt like little needles pricking you.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I'll have mine down at some point, if you can do it, you should do it. Way way back in the day had a friend with a Samarai, hood latch rattled loose, hood flew up and busted the windshield while we were rolling down the road on our way to Austin. Pulled all the glass out, strapped the hood down with a bandana, and dodged bottle caps that we throw straight out in front of us. Still makes me laugh, now that was fun. Kept it that way for several months too.