Sponsored

Has anyone put a better subwoofer in the factory alpine enclosure?

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
I’m thinking of upgrading all of the speakers in my 2020 Rubicon. I have the factory alpine system, so I’m wondering if anyone kept the enclosure (which looks good) and put a good slim subwoofer? If I put a custom box in the back...I’m still gonna see the factory enclosure, which wouldn’t look good.
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I’m thinking of upgrading all of the speakers in my 2020 Rubicon. I have the factory alpine system, so I’m wondering if anyone kept the enclosure (which looks good) and put a good slim subwoofer? If I put a custom box in the back...I’m still gonna see the factory enclosure, which wouldn’t look good.

I am thinking about adding in another enclose on the drivers side. There are a few out there now that almost look factory.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
You'll want to add a new amp to drive the sub because the factory amp just won't deliver the goods. Someone on the forum fitted a JL 10TW3 and it looked very good. When I get time I'm going to be dropping a DD SL710 into mine. I just need to make an adapter as it's slightly deeper than the Alpine. The volume of the enclosure is 16l or about 0.55cuft so make sure whatever sub you get works in that size enclosure.

DDsub_pic2.jpg

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Just ordered a 10TW3 for my stock enclosure. Just need to order an amp. I have already applied sound deadening material on the inside, which took away some of that hollow sound. Material made enclosure a bit heftier as well.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Just ordered a 10TW3 for my stock enclosure. Just need to order an amp. I have already applied sound deadening material on the inside, which took away some of that hollow sound. Material made enclosure a bit heftier as well.
Did you just add in poly fill to the stock enclosure, or did you add some kind of matt material to the fender well behind the enclosure? Are you going to bypass the factory amp for the 10TW3? My thought was to add a separate enclosure for a better sub. I worry that the factory sub enclosure may not have enough volume or be strong enough for a bigger watt sub. Very interested in how yours turns out.

Sponsored

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
After doing a bunch of research on this, looking at what other people have done and considering the fact that the stock sub is not terrible, I think the best way to go is install the JL sub with an aftermarket amp. I will bypass the Alpine amp for the sub but still use it to drive the other speakers. I plan on installing the Stinger Heigh10 as well, which will provide a bump to the output while providing some decent audio adjustments. Yes I did add poly fill. I used a dynamat like materiel and lined most of the inside of the enclosure. Even made the stock sub sound a bit better for the time being.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Thanks for the info. I like the JL audio enclosure for the drivers side, my only hesitation is that it sticks up the tub line and would make it difficult to run a cover over the rear during the summer.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Did you just add in poly fill to the stock enclosure, or did you add some kind of matt material to the fender well behind the enclosure? Are you going to bypass the factory amp for the 10TW3? My thought was to add a separate enclosure for a better sub. I worry that the factory sub enclosure may not have enough volume or be strong enough for a bigger watt sub. Very interested in how yours turns out.
Poly fill doesn't help with sound deadening but it does fool the sub into acting like it's in a larger enclosure. It makes a difference even with the stock Alpine.

There are ribs molded in the plastic of the enclosure to improve rigidity but I'm going to add some fiberglass to the outside of the enclosure to try to stiffed it up even more. I'm going to use Dynamat or similar on the bodywork behind the sub to help with vibration as well.

dswolfpack

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORT S 80TH ANNIVERSARY
Did anyone installed the JL 10TW3 to replace the stock sub? Would love it if anyone provides a tutorial. Also if a amp was used how was it installed?

Justin Case

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I am interested in this as well. I think replacing all the smaller speakers would be straight forward, but i am very interested in an amplifier/subwoofer upgrade, in the factory 10" alpine box.

Sponsored

BRP330

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
We make a ring adapter for the JL that will allow you to upgrade your factory sub. You will need to add an aftermarket amplifier.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Mine will be here next Tuesday.

TCFD40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Hopefully reviving this post. Curious as to what everyone has done to upgrade the factory Alpine sub. Love mine when the top is up and rear windows on, but hate the way the bass falls off when the top is down. Would prefer to keep the factory enclosure, and will eventually be replacing all speakers.
Sponsored