Sponsored

Has anyone painted or wrapped a sky one touch top black?

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I know it's odd, but I am not crazy about the "full body color" Jeeps. I've always had soft tops and always liked the contrast. TBH I'm not even much of a fan of painted flares.

On the flip side, I am thinking about ordering a sky one touch, which of course only comes body color.

Has anyone come across a painted or wrapped sky one touch top?

And for those who own a sky top - is there anything in the design that makes it look like it would be difficult to wrap? Looks to me like it would be straightforward, but not sure if there are any gutters etc that would be problematic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
I think the gutters will be problematic. They aren't exactly solid on the underside. And just trying to wrap the top side of the gutters seems like it would be a pain. Might be easier to spray it with bedliner.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I had a Punkin’ one painted GCM, turned out great on a white Rubicon.

D588A11E-F402-434A-9515-1EB9749F4B27.jpeg

You can take the top off and take it apart so it is easier to handle, the sliding mechanism is self contained so the side rails can be removed and painted separately.

Gregj

OP
OP
flot

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Hey Greg, thanks very much for that - That's a great photo, definitely looks different than a factory textured hard top, but I think I like that a lot more than body color painted! I've always wondered how painted trim (like matching GCM fenders) would look.

Plot twist, this is making me realize that rattle-can plasti dip would probably work great for this.

Normally I'd be one of those people saying "this is a waste of money" and I'd get a soft top, but I'm looking hard at a 392 which comes with the hard top no matter what. (at least, right now)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
flot

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Why not just buy a take off soft top?
I have a list of reasons, the most important would be "I don't have a garage to store a hard top in" so if I go the 392 route, my choices are either body color hard top which I don't like, order with sky one touch for $2k which does appeal to me although I'm not crazy about the aesthetics, or order the dual top group for $1300 so I get a brand new soft top with it, and sell the hard top that I couldn't store anyway.

Any of these options are possible, but selling a take-off color matched hard top is not an easy sell in any situation and probably worse in South Florida than most areas.

I'm also hopeful that the 392 opens up to more flexible packaging, but it will always nag at me that if I'm dropping $70k on a wrangler I probably could have ponied up the $2k for the fancy top.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought about rattle can bed liner but I suck at painting so I had it done. I did put a red top on it for awhile, I think that cemented the color contrast idea but white/red was a bit striking. I figured GCM would go good with any color.
E51D1B19-A954-4C87-A14B-236C21EF0E73.jpeg

Gregj

Speedtwin

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Picking up my New Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in High Velocity, with the Sky One Touch top on Thursday! I also would like to explore getting the roof wrapped in Black. All of my previous Wranglers have had different roof colors than the body. To me, I think the body/roof matching color is just too much of one color. I am going to need some way to make the top black without resorting to painting it. Any recent updates on wrapping a color matched painted roof?

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
the side panels are removeable, if plastidip is used, it might peel if it gets nicked etc.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the red top on my Jeep it was a bit too much red so I put a black stripe down the side to break it up and I think it does.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone painted or wrapped a sky one touch top black? 0EEC8288-90F0-46EA-84D9-B1D6806A03DD

Gregj
Sponsored