Sponsored

Has anyone ordered a premium soft top seperately from Jeep purchased?

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
Just out of curiosity, how much do dealers charge for soft tops after the fact? When I go on the jeep.ca site and build a JL it shows the soft top as a $900 option.
That’s $900 above the standard soft top which is about $1,500-$1,800
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Yes, you can. The discussion above is over the fact that FCA has been short on Premium Soft Tops and therefore builds have been delayed. You most definitely can order your new JL with a soft top. However, because there has been a shortage of those coming on newly built JLs, they have not been selling the Premium Soft Tops separately yet because priority is the availability of the part for new builds.
FWIW, and it may be little, the Customer Preferred Code Guide, with Factory and MSRP prices, available on the forum, seems to indicate that cannot order the Black Premium Soft Top on the Sport if you also order the Hard Top in exclusion. Let me rephrase that. Such a desired purchase comes with selection of the Dual Top option.

The same applies to the Premium Tan Top. Additionally it can't be ordered on the Sport if you get upgrade packages 23S or24S.

There appear to be other restrictions on Premium Tan Top purchase at other trim levels as well.

Also, note, prices may seem inconsistent because when you purchase the Dual Top option you essentially give back to FCA the basic black top in the form of a credit against the price of the Dual top.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/latest-jl-order-guide-showing-2-0l-engine/

(Entering into a relationship with a Wrangler has many similarities to entering into one with another person: it's complicated.)

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Does anybody know what the wind noise is like on the premium soft top? No dealership in area seems to have a soft top for me to drive on highway and I was thinking of ordering as my top of choice on a build. However, the last soft top I had on was on a 2007. I make a lot of phone calls in car and that one was way too noisy. So, my 2016 has the freedom top. I am now considering a build and like the access to sun that the soft top affords. However, if it still noisy then maybe I need to consider going with the freedom top again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I did a test drive with a premium soft top and I thought it was noticeably quieter than my 201k JK premium soft. top. Once you get to 60+ mph you do start to get some wind noise but that seemed to just be from the Jeep being a box going down the road. On the same day I drove a JL hard top and I didn't find it much quieter at 60+ mph. It actually seemed about the same.

I had a dual top on my 2015 but decided to just go with the premium soft top on my JL order because of quieter noise, much better designed top and not having to deal with switching tops twice a year.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
i ordered a 2 door premium soft top only back in january...hope to get it by thanksgiving ;)

it was an option back then, sounds like that’s changed

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
i ordered a 2 door premium soft top only back in january...hope to get it by thanksgiving ;)

it was an option back then, sounds like that’s changed
what trim level did you get (Sport or Rubicon)? 2 door Saharas aren't getting built yet...

Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what trim level did you get (Sport or Rubicon)? 2 door Saharas aren't getting built yet...
sport s with most options, just not a hard top...would love a 2 door sahara, but that’s next year, and i’d rather pimp this out a bit when it arrives - hoping for may or june

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
sport s with most options, just not a hard top...would love a 2 door sahara, but that’s next year
you lucky dog: my significant other does not let me buy a Wrangler every year;)

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you lucky dog: my significant other does not let me buy a Wrangler every year;)
oh, i meant “it’s not out until next year “ - she won’t let me get another unless it’s for her, if if she takes this one!

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'll have to wait till next year as spring and summer are closely approaching.

bn13Cooper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited ~Granite
I might be ordering a softop soon but just wondering if anyone has done this and has had any luck receiving theirs given that they’ve been backordered for a while now

Mine was the first JL delivered in CT, and it came with the dual top package. The parts manager said I was lucky, because Chrysler knew they had a shortage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was the first JL delivered in CT, and it came with the dual top package. The parts manager said I was lucky, because Chrysler knew they had a shortage.
Most definitely. Unfortunately, I did not order but that would have definitely been an added option for me.

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
I did a test drive with a premium soft top and I thought it was noticeably quieter than my 201k JK premium soft. top. Once you get to 60+ mph you do start to get some wind noise but that seemed to just be from the Jeep being a box going down the road. On the same day I drove a JL hard top and I didn't find it much quieter at 60+ mph. It actually seemed about the same.

I had a dual top on my 2015 but decided to just go with the premium soft top on my JL order because of quieter noise, much better designed top and not having to deal with switching tops twice a year.

Thanks - leaning toward premium soft top

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
I wouldn’t drop the money ordering the a soft top through the dealer, it’ll be a rip off. Depends on how fast you want to get one, keep your eyes on Craigslist as eventually people got a dual top will be offloading their soft tops there. I’d also say keep an eye on the Bestop web site. If I’m not mistaken they’re the manufacturer who makes the soft tops for the Wrangler. It wasn’t immediately clear if they had tops for the JL available already, however if they don’t they will soon.
Bestop is definitely the manufacturer and they’re a great company. I’m sure they’re cranking them out as fast as they can.

Does anybody know what the wind noise is like on the premium soft top? No dealership in area seems to have a soft top for me to drive on highway and I was thinking of ordering as my top of choice on a build. However, the last soft top I had on was on a 2007. I make a lot of phone calls in car and that one was way too noisy. So, my 2016 has the freedom top. I am now considering a build and like the access to sun that the soft top affords. However, if it still noisy then maybe I need to consider going with the freedom top again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have the base soft top and it is pretty quiet. I had the hardtop and soft in my jk and the JL soft top is more quiet.

I had a dual top on my 2015 but decided to just go with the premium soft top on my JL order because of quieter noise, much better designed top and not having to deal with switching tops twice a year.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I had both on my 16, but I had the more difficult 2007 soft top I bought off a friend. The new soft top is sweet. It was 48 and sunny here in Northeast Ohio. I put back the sunrider in less than 30 secs. The new top and windows are easy.

Do it!

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
I “know” there are a few premium tops out there in Jeep land available. From what I hear :bandit: there are a few early orders that didn’t take delivery and the people who bought those Jeeps didn’t really want the soft top. look around friends. Unfortunately, they won’t come cheap.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
oh, i meant “it’s not out until next year “ - she won’t let me get another unless it’s for her, if if she takes this one!
I gleaned that Dave...it was a play on words;)
Sponsored