Sponsored

Has anyone moved their rear license plate and light to the spare tire?

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
No, it was a blue and purple wire, JCR Offroad has a video showing him installing their license plate relocation kit, that's where I got the wire colors from.
On the Jeep side of tail light harness, white/orange is the tail light power, per my testing and from wiring diagrams. JCR uses the wires on the tail light side. I guess either work
Sponsored

Attachments

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I moved my tag light today by tapping into the actual license plate's power wire and fishing the wires from the driver side, similar to Artec's demo on youtube. I pulled the bumper's wiring harness, found behind the bumper and under the tub, up through drivers tail light opening to make it easy to work on and easier to get wires back up through the grommet found inside the tub. White with ROYAL blue is the power for the license plate light. Note that there is a wire, if you have the back up sensors, that is white & light blue or some shade of lavender which IS NOT the correct wire.
IMG_0011.JPG

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just got done doing this yesterday. Wire is cheap. I came off the relocation plate in the spare tire, through the tailgate into the tub of the Jeep by the right rear, dropped down to the frame and pushed wire through the frame at the crossmember for the hitch came out the frame on the driver side rear and tied into the original license plate light wires. The third brake light, I tied into the original third brake light wire. It was easy.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it out. The ground can be anywhere but since I had a two wire (red/black) cable, I decided to run the ground to where I did on the image. The positive wire is the white/Orange wire for the license plate light. FYI, for those curious about the reverse light wire, it is the white/purple wire. I have my reverse light wire triggering a relay for bumper lights that I don't have yet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone moved their rear license plate and light to the spare tire? IMG_0011.JPG

the red/black wire combo is for the license plate light and the pic also shows my relay for the bumper mounted reverse lights. The yellow wire will go to the reverse lights when I have them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone moved their rear license plate and light to the spare tire? IMG_0011.JPG

Thanks for the pictures, especially the one identifying the Orange/White and Black wires. I used that today to power my new license plate light that I'm moving to the spare tire location.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever get this?
I did but I ended up getting the ORO one instead because it came with a waterproof plug and a 3rd brake light built in. I could have added a plug in retrospect but that’s what I did. I think if did it again I’d go with the maxbuilt though.

SubZero_JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Military

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I figured it out. The ground can be anywhere but since I had a two wire (red/black) cable, I decided to run the ground to where I did on the image. The positive wire is the white/Orange wire for the license plate light. FYI, for those curious about the reverse light wire, it is the white/purple wire. I have my reverse light wire triggering a relay for bumper lights that I don't have yet.

the red/black wire combo is for the license plate light and the pic also shows my relay for the bumper mounted reverse lights. The yellow wire will go to the reverse lights when I have them.
Is that the passenger side tail light harness?

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
When I changed out my rear OEM bumper (2018 JLUR) I went with the Rough Country license plate relocation bracket. I also have the Teraflex Alpha HD Spare Tire Mounting Kit. Unfortunately, I found it annoying to disassemble the RC bracket with every tire change. So I purchased from Texas Metalworks a license plate frame that I will mount on my Metalcloak rear bumper. Currently a WIP. Just a thought for those considering rear license plate relocation.

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
When I changed out my rear OEM bumper (2018 JLUR) I went with the Rough Country license plate relocation bracket. I also have the Teraflex Alpha HD Spare Tire Mounting Kit. Unfortunately, I found it annoying to disassemble the RC bracket with every tire change. So I purchased from Texas Metalworks a license plate frame that I will mount on my Metalcloak rear bumper. Currently a WIP. Just a thought for those considering rear license plate relocation.

It takes about 2 extra minutes (maybe) to remove the license plate carrier to get the spare off - how often are you pulling the spare that it is a burden to unscrew a couple of bolts to pull that off? I added a quick-disconnect for the light wire, so that unplugs and gets tucked into the center with the brake light wire when pulling the plate carrier off. Not that big a deal.
Sponsored