Sponsored

Has anyone moved their rear license plate and light to the spare tire?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have an LOD rear license plate relocation bracket on order and I was wondering how I get the wiring for the license plate light to the spare tire area. Has anyone done this yet?

Edit: ugh, you know you buy too much jeep parts when you forget which relocation plate you purchased. I in fact have the Artec rear license relocation bracket on order. Not the LOD one. Lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Please post your experience with it ... this is on my wishlist and I want to know how it works out!

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
If you ordered our spare tire license plate relocation kit, we'll have instructions posted soon!

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I figured it out. The ground can be anywhere but since I had a two wire (red/black) cable, I decided to run the ground to where I did on the image. The positive wire is the white/Orange wire for the license plate light. FYI, for those curious about the reverse light wire, it is the white/purple wire. I have my reverse light wire triggering a relay for bumper lights that I don't have yet.
wiring.JPG

the red/black wire combo is for the license plate light and the pic also shows my relay for the bumper mounted reverse lights. The yellow wire will go to the reverse lights when I have them.
wiring2.JPG

wiring3.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ugh, you know you buy too much jeep parts when you forget which relocation plate you purchased. I in fact have the Artec rear license relocation bracket on order and not the LOD one. Lol.

Sponsored

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I figured it out. The ground can be anywhere but since I had a two wire (red/black) cable, I decided to run the ground to where I did on the image. The positive wire is the white/Orange wire for the license plate light. FYI, for those curious about the reverse light wire, it is the white/purple wire. I have my reverse light wire triggering a relay for bumper lights that I don't have yet.
wiring.JPG

the red/black wire combo is for the license plate light and the pic also shows my relay for the bumper mounted reverse lights. The yellow wire will go to the reverse lights when I have them.
wiring2.JPG

wiring3.JPG
@TroyBoy Is there reason you did not tap into those wire inside the tub? I'm just curious because I'm moving my license plate to a spare tire delete kit and I'll have to remove the interior trim to get the wiring harness pass-through grommet anyway.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@TroyBoy Is there reason you did not tap into those wire inside the tub? I'm just curious because I'm moving my license plate to a spare tire delete kit and I'll have to remove the interior trim to get the wiring harness pass-through grommet anyway.
Probably because I didn’t know what wire to use inside the tub. I suppose I could have traced it back farther than what I did.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Motobilt Tag and Camera relocation kit, best kit in my opinion. 2 bolts and 2 wire quick disconnects (1 for camera and 1 for tag light) and instant spare tire access.

0328191134_HDR~2.jpg

Sponsored

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ace license plate relocation kit. It had an integrated light and brake light, 1 plug undoes those 2 light, also has the camera relocation, which you remove the plug from the back of the camera. I also have the brake light ring behind the tire, so lots of brake lights.

9499FB96-EE83-4CED-8D6C-2475DAC5FFDE.jpeg
5EE0D823-9C5C-42DD-B63B-F3ED977ECFED.jpeg
98A5D99C-717F-4660-8DBE-FD2EF390B57A.jpeg
807B5F1F-9178-487C-B336-576F6C942D99.jpeg

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Ace license plate relocation kit. It had an integrated light and brake light, 1 plug undoes those 2 light, also has the camera relocation, which you remove the plug from the back of the camera. I also have the brake light ring behind the tire, so lots of brake lights
@mike_b_81 I assume you tapped your 3rd brake lights from the stock 3rd wires behind the tail gate trim panel. Where/what did you tap into for your license plate light?

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@mike_b_81 I assume you tapped your 3rd brake lights from the stock 3rd wires behind the tail gate trim panel. Where/what did you tap into for your license plate light?
I tapped the license plate light into the right tail light. Had to pull the trim panels off the right rear and take the tail light out, then spliced the wires at the tail light. I will say, taking the rear trim panel off wasn’t as easy as the videos make it out to be, especially since all the videos made that I saw were no subwoofer models and I have the subwoofer. So, that whole rear panel including the subwoofer is all one and had to come off.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tapped the license plate light into the right tail light. Had to pull the trim panels off the right rear and take the tail light out, then spliced the wires at the tail light. I will say, taking the rear trim panel off wasn’t as easy as the videos make it out to be, especially since all the videos made that I saw were no subwoofer models and I have the subwoofer. So, that whole rear panel including the subwoofer is all one and had to come off.
The white wire with the orange stripe?

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The white wire with the orange stripe?
No, it was a blue and purple wire, JCR Offroad has a video showing him installing their license plate relocation kit, that's where I got the wire colors from.
Sponsored