Sponsored

Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille?

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
The JL Sport and Willys don't have the grille inserts like Sahara or Rubicon.
So is it possible to install the JT grille mesh on the JL Sport grille?
Is the JT grille body required or can the JT mesh be swapped into a JL grille body?

The reason I ask is that I ordered and they are wrong and doesn't fit a JL Sport grille.
Texture Grille 6kn34rxfab
Texture Grille 6kn48rxfab
Texture Grille 6kn47rxfab

If so are these the correct part numbers that are needed for the JL Sport grille?
Gladiator Sport Left Grille Texture 6QN23RXFAC
Gladiator Sport Center Grille Texture 6QN22RXFAC
Gladiator Sport Right Grille Texture 6QN21RXFAC

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmr

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
I'll answer my own question.
I can confirm to use these 3 parts when installing the Gladiator mesh into a Sport grille.

Gladiator Sport Left Grille Texture 6QN23RXFAC
Gladiator Sport Center Grille Texture 6QN22RXFAC
Gladiator Sport Right Grille Texture 6QN21RXFAC
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? Avitar-5

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I would like to confirm that the Gladiator Rubicon inserts do in fact fit a Sport grille.
I have 3 different grilles and the Willys is stamped as a Sport. The only difference is 2 tabs for the back middle section but there are plenty of other screws and tabs that are direct fit.
For weight savers, the Sport/Willys grille is 2 lbs lighter than the Rubicon/Sahara counterpart because of the extra plastic pieces. 7 vs 9 lbs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_20220518_101448001

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I get it that the larger openings give better airflow, but that larger opening is an Insect Portal, and Rock Invite as well.
The JL factory Mesh meant I didn't have to buy an aftermarket screen to protect against stones and June Bugs, the JT mesh cancels that advantage

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I get it that the larger openings give better airflow, but that larger opening is an Insect Portal, and Rock Invite as well.
The JL factory Mesh meant I didn't have to buy an aftermarket screen to protect against stones and June Bugs, the JT mesh cancels that advantage
You're not wrong, but I find it's easier to get the dead bugs out when I wash. I would still get bugs in there with the smaller inserts. As far as rocks, leave more room ahead of you.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Just did this today. Bought the following set from AllMoparParts that includes all three pieces. Shipped super fast: https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jljtgrilleinsrt.html

You can the difference side by side that the pieces are very similar:
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_4296

Had to follow the Bolt instructions to modify the center piece for my hood lock. Everything installed easily and fits great on my '21 Willys:

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_4298

Here's a side-by-side:

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-1VFIwcZEVmZ0

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I did this swap over the weekend. I like the look better. Hopefully reduces the jet engine fan on the 2.0 coming on as often or for as long, especially when wheeling.

As someone mention. The two upper inner clips are different for some reason but the screws and other clips hold it in pretty sturdily.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_6470

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_6471

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_6472

IMG_6473.jpeg

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_6474

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Just did this today. Bought the following set from AllMoparParts that includes all three pieces. Shipped super fast: https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jljtgrilleinsrt.html

You can the difference side by side that the pieces are very similar:
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Gladiator Sport grille mesh into a JL Sport or Willys grille? IMG_6474

Had to follow the Bolt instructions to modify the center piece for my hood lock. Everything installed easily and fits great on my '21 Willys:

Here's a side-by-side:

Thinking about getting these for our JL Sports, since the Sport and Willys grill should be the same. Does the engine cool any better after installing the Gladiator parts?

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

Are there any instructions for the swap?
There must be a better YouTube video out there but I think I used this one for grill removal

And this one to see how to remove the torx fasteners, and plastic clips on the backside of the three mesh sections

Sponsored

SWVA JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Wrangler
There must be a better YouTube video out there but I think I used this one for grill removal

And this one to see how to remove the torx fasteners, and plastic clips on the backside of the three mesh sections
Appreciate you posting this. I’m going to get these installed this weekend hopefully.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Thinking about getting these for our JL Sports, since the Sport and Willys grill should be the same. Does the engine cool any better after installing the Gladiator parts?
To be honest I can't say either way...at some point I added a winch too, so there's a couple variables at play. I do like the look of it better and it wasn't expensive. I suppose another potential option would be to wait for the '24 grille to come out since that also is a lot more open.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
To be honest I can't say either way...at some point I added a winch too, so there's a couple variables at play. I do like the look of it better and it wasn't expensive. I suppose another potential option would be to wait for the '24 grille to come out since that also is a lot more open.
True, but it's hideous :LOL: . No offense to anyone that likes it! I think I might order a kit for mine, and if it makes an improvement, install another set on my wife's.