Sponsored

Has Anyone Installed Metal Cloak 2.5 Lift With Alternative Shocks.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
do you know what the rocksports shocks are in terms of Compressed and extended lengths? Longer or shorter than the fox 2.5’s you are running?
The Rocksport JLU shocks are 17.7" compressed and 30.0" extended. I run the Fox 3.5"-4" which are fairly similar. The rear shock is a little longer with similar travel. The front shock is a little shorter with a bit less travel. I had to add about 1.625" bump stop and an Adams driveshaft in the front to take full advantage of shock length. A longer front shock (compressed) would mean even more bump stop, which just raises CG for given travel. I had to add about 2" bump stop and an Adams driveshaft in the rear.

Last edited:

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The ADS shocks do not have more travel than Fox 2.5" smooth body shocks. The Fox shocks are available in different lengths. The 4.5"-6" lift version is most similar to the ADS JLU shock. ADS front is 18.375" compressed and 30" extended. The Fox front is 18.34" compressed and 30.51" extended. The ADS rear shocks are 19.5" compressed and 31" extended. The Fox rear are 19.43" compressed and 32.30" extended.

ADS advertise 3"-4" lift while Fox advertise 4.5"-6" lift for very similar shocks. I ignore the marketing and look at the specs to choose the best shock for the application. In this case, it's clear the Fox shock has slightly shorter compressed lengths and more travel.

I run the Metalcloak 2.5" springs with Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. The Metalcoak springs are basically a linear spring rate with a tender spring (so they don't drop out under full droop). This pairs well with a shock with a linear damping curve like the Fox. It is also the best type of damping curve for multiple applications IMHO. King shocks also come with linear damping curves. I chose Fox over King for the slightly better materials and longer travel for given compressed length. I find the ride quality with the Fox shocks is better than factory on road with less body roll.
This is an excellent point. My ADS shocks are equipped with a welded eyelet instead of the threaded eyelet which reduces the length of the shock without impacting the stroke length. This was something ADS was willing to build me since I wasn't planning on going with a big lift. I think the welded eyelet is a little over an inch shorter compared to the threaded eyelet.

Also, your setup sounds legit, do you have a build thread or photos posted anywhere?

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hey everyone I am highly thinking of going with MC 2.5in game changer. But My 2 concerns is the actual height of lift after done as I only want to go 35" and dont want it to look funny if its higher after lift. I have the 2.0 turbo and the one touch so its not as heavy as other rubicons. IF anyone has done on similar setup please let me know. 2nd is the ride quality every thread until this one said the ride quality was better than stock but if seems like some you said the rockports were stiff or not as good as stock? Please explain as I have rode in a friends that had a 3.5in MC with 37's and it rode really good and soft, but his was diesel with hardtop so it did weigh more and that could be the factor of a harsh ride due to us who have a lighter rubicon might be experiencing.

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey everyone I am highly thinking of going with MC 2.5in game changer. But My 2 concerns is the actual height of lift after done as I only want to go 35" and dont want it to look funny if its higher after lift. I have the 2.0 turbo and the one touch so its not as heavy as other rubicons. IF anyone has done on similar setup please let me know. 2nd is the ride quality every thread until this one said the ride quality was better than stock but if seems like some you said the rockports were stiff or not as good as stock? Please explain as I have rode in a friends that had a 3.5in MC with 37's and it rode really good and soft, but his was diesel with hardtop so it did weigh more and that could be the factor of a harsh ride due to us who have a lighter rubicon might be experiencing.
I have a 2020 rubicon recon with the 2.0turbo and the MC 2.5 and originally had 35’s and they look small imo (see pic 35’s on top 37’s on bottom) also keep in mind mine is the recon with steel bumpers so it’s a little heavier than a regular Rubi with plastic bumpers. I have also read people saying the rock sports are the same or better than stock and that is NOT true. It is definitely stiffer than stock when you hit bumps or are on uneven roads. Also this is not because I currently have m/t tires because it road stiffer on C load rating KO2’s also. Of course it rides like stock on a smooth road because obviously the road is SMOOTH! Yes it handles better on and off road but I am talking about everyday ride quality. The lift is absolutely an animal off-road and does everything I’ve asked it to so far so I am VERY pleased, just wish it was a little smoother for everyday travels. I wouldn’t change my setup one bit, other than a smoother shock and I know there are some other options that people say are smoother but those shocks cost over $2000 so I’ll pass.

9BCC1FD9-463F-46F3-88DD-068F419CAF58.jpeg

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
On-road ride is a personal thing. I went from no lift, completely stock Rubicon suspension and 37s to a full Metalcloak Gamechanger 2.5in lift in one step. So I went from stock Rubicon shocks to Rocksports with the same wheel/tire combo making a direct comparison perhaps a bit easier. I have to tell you that in my opinion, the on-road quality of ride is definitely now better than stock with the same wheels and tires. But its by no means a vast improvement. Indeed, I believe its the quality of the MC control arms duraflex bushings rather than the shocks that's responsible for the majority of overall improvement. In fact, if I were to compare the stock Rubicon shocks directly to the Rocksports, I would say the two feel nearly identical other than the obvious flex differences. So yes, the ride is by no means plush, per se, but I stand by my "better than stock statement" and the Rocksports are very livable, meaning you can go the distance without excessive harshness or the fatigue associated with excessively stiff shocks. Nobody is going to mistake the ride for a Cadillac, but hard to beat for the price.

My advise to you is run the Rocksports, just to get you on the road. I think you'll find them quite sufficient for everyday driving. If you really hate them, save up to upgrade to a custom valved option - something I doubt I'll ever feel the need to do.

What's funny is if you were to look back on my post from earlier this year I had nearly identical concerns and questions as you did. I mean nearly word for word. I took a chance with the Rocksports, and while I won't lie and call them amazing, I was expecting far worse and I'm surprisingly pleased

Again though, ride is a very subjective issue and results will vary from person to person. Nobody with an opinion on this matter is necessarily right or wrong.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
imho you will never get the stock feel once you lift. a plush on road ride is the polar opposite of what you need for off roading.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have a 2020 rubicon recon with the 2.0turbo and the MC 2.5 and originally had 35’s and they look small imo (see pic 35’s on top 37’s on bottom) also keep in mind mine is the recon with steel bumpers so it’s a little heavier than a regular Rubi with plastic bumpers. I have also read people saying the rock sports are the same or better than stock and that is NOT true. It is definitely stiffer than stock when you hit bumps or are on uneven roads. Also this is not because I currently have m/t tires because it road stiffer on C load rating KO2’s also. Of course it rides like stock on a smooth road because obviously the road is SMOOTH! Yes it handles better on and off road but I am talking about everyday ride quality. The lift is absolutely an animal off-road and does everything I’ve asked it to so far so I am VERY pleased, just wish it was a little smoother for everyday travels. I wouldn’t change my setup one bit, other than a smoother shock and I know there are some other options that people say are smoother but those shocks cost over $2000 so I’ll pass.

9BCC1FD9-463F-46F3-88DD-068F419CAF58.jpeg
Thanks for the response that is exactly what I was looking for. Yes it definitely did look like you needed the 37s soo now I’m a little stuck to which lift to pick. I only want 2” to 2-1/2” height and only want 35” tires. Has anyone tried the Jsk lifts/ jspec? I see on the site it has like pretty j-ratings on the type of terrain you will on and if you want it more for off road or on road.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
imho you will never get the stock feel once you lift. a plush on road ride is the polar opposite of what you need for off roading.
This I don’t understand because if I can’t have a nice comfortable ride going on potholes and street cracks with the lift then how is it gonna ride better on bigger off road bumps and and terrains? How is a lift that is good ride off road not comfortable on pavement...just doesn’t make sense.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This I don’t understand because if I can’t have a nice comfortable ride going on potholes and street cracks with the lift then how is it gonna ride better on bigger off road bumps and and terrains? How is a lift that is good ride off road not comfortable on pavement...just doesn’t make sense.
If you really want the best ride possible go with Mfg matched springs and shocks. Or go custom tuned shocks like accutune. The other half is tires, go with load D and above will be stiffer can’t do anything other than lower psi to help.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Go off roading more and gain some experience. I don't think explaining to you why is going to get very far till you actually experience some wheeling. Don't see many Cadillacs on trail.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Go off roading more and gain some experience. I don't think explaining to you why is going to get very far till you actually experience some wheeling. Don't see many Cadillacs on trail.
I agree to a point. But again if you can go over larger objects and dips and off road terrains then going over smaller one on the street should be even better. I mean for example if you have a car that can go 100mph per hour then shouldn't easily be able to go 50mph am i right?

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
If you really want the best ride possible go with Mfg matched springs and shocks. Or go custom tuned shocks like accutune. The other half is tires, go with load D and above will be stiffer can’t do anything other than lower psi to help.
I not looking for cadillac ride, I am just looking for a ride that isn't going to rattle the interior cabin. Stiff ride is not an issue as long as it doesn't sound like your interior stuff is coming loose and shaking.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I not looking for cadillac ride, I am just looking for a ride that isn't going to rattle the interior cabin. Stiff ride is not an issue as long as it doesn't sound like your interior stuff is coming loose and shaking.
i paired the MC gamechanger with the Falcon adjustables. you will loose a tiny bit of flex with the Falcons but it has not been noticeable in the large boulder gardens. the on road ride is a bit stiffer, but more like a sports car stiffer, the JL really holds nicely in the turns. off road on the softest setting they are a dream in the boulders but i hate them on the soft setting on road, its too land yacht feeling, with more body roll. Off road in hi speed desert i keep them on the hard setting also. The Falcons suck up the whoops nicely. I have used many different shocks over the years and these falcons are a hit.
Sponsored