Sponsored

Has Anyone Installed Metal Cloak 2.5 Lift With Alternative Shocks.

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MC 3.5" lift. I bought the setup with the Rocksport shocks. I have run the for a couple of years. They are great offroad, but they are terrible on road. Changing them out to Bilstein's.
Which model are you going with? I've been curious how the Bilsteins perform.
Sponsored

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray
I just installed the MC 2.5" with Rocksports this weekend and so far I'm very disappointed in the ride. Every bump seems overly harsh, especially in the rear. It is bad enough that I'm already looking for new shocks options and would gladly trade flex to address this very harsh ride on road - its that bad

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
It is under $300 for a set of 4 Rocksports....not sure I am understanding the expectation level....

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I just installed the MC 2.5" with Rocksports this weekend and so far I'm very disappointed in the ride. Every bump seems overly harsh, especially in the rear. It is bad enough that I'm already looking for new shocks options and would gladly trade flex to address this very harsh ride on road - its that bad
If it makes you feel better, they get softer after a few hundred miles of break in.

I'm going to be going to a better adjustable shock setup myself though, so maybe not trying to talk you into keeping them. :like:

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Y'all scaring me. I have full GC w/Rocksports getting installed in next couple of weeks. Here's to hoping they aren't too bad, and I've heard some that love their on-the-road qualities. It took me an entire year to save up for the lift and now before its even installed I'm worrying I'll need to start saving again to re-shock it.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Interesting. I feel the metal cloak springs and shocks ride amazing on and off-road. Of course it is subjective, but I can’t see how people feel they are harsh. However it is a lifted jeep so Maybe my expectations might not be as high as some others.

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray
Interesting. I feel the metal cloak springs and shocks ride amazing on and off-road. Of course it is subjective, but I can’t see how people feel they are harsh. However it is a lifted jeep so Maybe my expectations might not be as high as some others.
I hear you but some many say that the MC kit rides so much better than stock. You can almost believe this because you are upgrading the bushings on all the control arms and the dual rate springs should give you a better ride - so expectations were high and not relative to a 'lifted Jeep'. I honestly expected improved over stock based on what we heard here, but these shocks are clearly not in the same league - so hopefully new shocks will fix this and it will be as smooth as stock.....

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Y'all scaring me. I have full GC w/Rocksports getting installed in next couple of weeks. Here's to hoping they aren't too bad, and I've heard some that love their on-the-road qualities. It took me an entire year to save up for the lift and now before its even installed I'm worrying I'll need to start saving again to re-shock it.
For me I think the ride is excellent both on and off road. Not sure what people expect in their ride but I like a reasonably firm ride that handles well and the Game Changer does that for me.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Curious, did any of you have a JK with the game changer and Old man emu shocks?

for me, better than stock means no roll on the road and no slowing down for on-ramps and mountain curves and roundabouts, oh my. Fuck a speed bump or a pothole.

Sponsored

Tdarby

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR/Durango RT
Anyone use OME BP-51? That what my shop recommended.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't worry that much. The reviews are all peppered with our own expectations and anything as subjective as "comfort" will get a wide range. I happen to think the Rocksports are too soft on road and not up to off road shenanigans.

You can't expect Ultra4 level performance out of these cheaper shocks. There is a reason bypass shocks are more expensive. They also require more maintenance. :dunno:

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If it makes you feel better, they get softer after a few hundred miles of break in.

I'm going to be going to a better adjustable shock setup myself though, so maybe not trying to talk you into keeping them. :like:

They feel the same to me and i have around 1000 miles on my rocksports.

I am not dissapointed with the ride, but yes I agree with you they are stiff for sure and rides no where like stock in terms of on road comfort. I didnt expect it to ride smooth for the $300 they cost though, but I am watching this thread closely because I would like a smoother on road ride without losing the flex and off road ability.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Here are those links you requested.

Front Coil Springs
Rear Coil Springs
Shocks

Price wise these are similar to the King and Fox remote reservoir offerings but the ADS has the most travel. I think the Fox shocks have more adjust-ability though. The falcons have almost as much travel as the ADS shocks, are ~$1k cheaper, and have a 2.25" diameter body. The ADS, Fox, and Kings are a 2.5" body diameter.

I had read a ton about the falcons but kept seeing people say they were too stiff and I didn't want my Jeep feeling like an 18 year old's modified civic. I am really happy with my setup and am really glad I put in a lot of research prior to making my decision.

Good luck!
The ADS shocks do not have more travel than Fox 2.5" smooth body shocks. The Fox shocks are available in different lengths. The 4.5"-6" lift version is most similar to the ADS JLU shock. ADS front is 18.375" compressed and 30" extended. The Fox front is 18.34" compressed and 30.51" extended. The ADS rear shocks are 19.5" compressed and 31" extended. The Fox rear are 19.43" compressed and 32.30" extended.

ADS advertise 3"-4" lift while Fox advertise 4.5"-6" lift for very similar shocks. I ignore the marketing and look at the specs to choose the best shock for the application. In this case, it's clear the Fox shock has slightly shorter compressed lengths and more travel.

I run the Metalcloak 2.5" springs with Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. The Metalcoak springs are basically a linear spring rate with a tender spring (so they don't drop out under full droop). This pairs well with a shock with a linear damping curve like the Fox. It is also the best type of damping curve for multiple applications IMHO. King shocks also come with linear damping curves. I chose Fox over King for the slightly better materials and longer travel for given compressed length. I find the ride quality with the Fox shocks is better than factory on road with less body roll.

Last edited:

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The ADS shocks do not have more travel than Fox 2.5" smooth body shocks. The Fox shocks are available in different lengths. The 4.5"-6" lift version is most similar to the ADS JLU shock. ADS front is 18.375" compressed and 30" extended. The Fox front is 18.34" compressed and 30.51" extended. The ADS rear shocks are 19.5" compressed and 31" extended. The Fox rear are 19.43" compressed and 32.30" extended.

ADS advertise 3"-4" lift while Fox advertise 4.5"-6" lift for very similar shocks. I ignore the marketing and look at the specs to choose the best shock for the application. In this case, it's clear the Fox shock has slightly shorter compresses lengths and more travel.

I run the Metalcloak 2.5" springs with Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. The Metalcoak springs are basically a linear spring rate with a tender spring (so they don't drop out under full droop). This pairs well with a shock with a linear damping curve like the Fox. It is also the best type of damping curve for multiple applications IMHO. King shocks also come with linear damping curves. I chose Fox over King for the slightly better materials and longer travel for given compressed length. I find the ride quality with the Fox shocks is better than factory on road with less body roll.
do you know what the rocksports shocks are in terms of Compressed and extended lengths? Longer or shorter than the fox 2.5’s you are running?
Sponsored