Sponsored

Has anyone installed a hard top on a soft top equipped JLUR?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I have the factory soft top on my 2022 Sahara, with heated seats. I do not care about the wiper or the washer, but I do care about the defroster working. I also have the Trailer and Tow package, so I have the auxiliary switches. It should be possible to just run the defroster off one of the aux switches. Has anybody run the defroster from an Aux switch???
Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

@IdahoJOAT

Here is the kit if your JLU does not have a heated steering wheel.
There is a selection there for the kit if you have a heated steering wheel.
Mopar Part #: 82215221AB
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/h...bjBJ4RSbnf0upwK_Vx7Bktb130gkEGe0aAvqcEALw_wcB

IF you have heated steering wheel you want this kit:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/hardtop-wiring-harness-conversion-kit-wrangler-jl/heated-steering
Mopar Part #: 82215312AC

LINK to install instr..
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/K6862532.pdf
Rhinebeck, first off excellent job running down the needed information, you make Jeep life easier for all of us!

Now after looking over the 50+ steps to install it is clear to me that it was worth getting the hardtop from the factory and the soft top later!

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
@rubiria here's the thread I think you were looking for.

I still have yet to have the wiring harness installed.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Rhinebeck, first off excellent job running down the needed information, you make Jeep life easier for all of us!

Now after looking over the 50+ steps to install it is clear to me that it was worth getting the hardtop from the factory and the soft top later!
Given how cheap I've been seeing soft tops here and on FB marketplace, it would 100% be cheaper (and easier) to get a factory hard top and add the soft top yourself later.

worst-case scenario, order with the hard top and you can offload the hard top to recoup some of your costs. Even easier if you get the black textured vs body color hard top.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my 2022 Sahara w/factory soft top 2 weeks ago. I ordered a OEM Mopar primered 3 pc hardtop (2885.00 with shipping) back in March and it was supposed to come in on 5/5/22. I checked on the order and now the projected delivery is 7/1/22. I should have ordered it from the factory. How much harder/expensive would it be to get a black 3pc hard top painted Firecracker Red? If I can get a top for 1800.00 or so it would have to be cheaper, because I still would have to get the primered top painted too. I know I need to have the wiring kits and such, but I think I will just wire it to one of my Aux switches. The defroster is really all I need anyway. Would the hard top need to be wet sanded to remove the paint and prepare the top to be painted Red or does that apply to a Jeep hardtop?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The black top is textured and will require a bit of sanding to remove it. Not impossible for a good body shop to do.

Gregj

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other question, if I do find a Hardtop, can I put it on over my softtop to get it home? All 3 windows out, but the top up?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
No the hardtop will not fit over an installed softtop. You will have to remove it, the door surrounds, and the corner pieces on the back of the tub. You will also need the freedom panel latch brackets, there are two above the rear view mirror and two in the middle of the soundbar. Of course you will need the bolts that bolt it down. The softtop will fit in the cargo area with the seats folded down.

Gregj

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Hey man could you tell me which brackets i have to order to install freedom tops to a soft top jeep?
Cheapest option is from DV8. This is what I bought, no issues at all.

DV8 Offroad | HTJL-BR | Hard Top Mounting Brackets fits 2018-Current Wrangler JL | Complete Set | Steel Construction https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XLPRFT1/

FYI, see the diagram here for OEM parts. ..

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/wrangler-jl/targa-panel-parts

You would need #8 left and right, #11 left and right, and 8 of #9. Much cheaper to go with DV8.

Sponsored

Jeepboy420

First Name
Winkle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler 2 door Sports
Thanks for the information . Just one question does this DV8 one has both front and back mounts and every hardware?

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the information . Just one question does this DV8 one has both front and back mounts and every hardware?
If you have ACC... tell me how you fare.

When we took delivery of the Tuscadero I swapped out the 4 metal brackets and realized the ACC is COMPLETELY in the way. I was in a time crunch and didn't put two of the 4 front bolts in, just tightened down the two I could get in and sent it. It hasn't been a problem thus far.
Sponsored