Sponsored

Has anyone hit their transmission hard while wheeling?

DiamondJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I know the manual transmission JL's are missing the extra crossmember in front of the transfer case that the automatic JL's have fresh off the lot so I was wondering if anyone has wheeled their Jeeps stock without skid plates and actually hit their transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc. while out on the trails. Pretty much trying to figure out if the transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc can survive a really hard hit from rocks. So if you've been wheeling out on the trails without skid plates and actually hit your transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc really hard on rocks or whatever let me know what happened next if it was ok with no issues or was there issues after that? Thanks!
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I know the manual transmission JL's are missing the extra crossmember in front of the transfer case that the automatic JL's have fresh off the lot so I was wondering if anyone has wheeled their Jeeps stock without skid plates and actually hit their transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc. while out on the trails. Pretty much trying to figure out if the transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc can survive a really hard hit from rocks. So if you've been wheeling out on the trails without skid plates and actually hit your transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc really hard on rocks or whatever let me know what happened next if it was ok with no issues or was there issues after that? Thanks!
It’s not gonna end well, get skid plates.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Pretty much trying to figure out if the transmission, transfer case, oil pan, or etc can survive a really hard hit from rocks.
Really hard hit on a really hard rock, survive maybe, but not worth the risk IMO. You wouldn't want to chip that Diamond :)

And FWIW, the stock skid plates/bars on even the AT equipped JLs are minimal, better than nothing, but there's plenty of places that damage can occur on the rocks.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
My first mods on a new Jeep are skid plates. No reason to risk trail damage.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We have the 8AT, so we have the trans skid plate/bar.

Depends on your definition of "hard", I've dropped it hard enough to bend the skid bar up 1" directly below the front driveshaft.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Get the Off-road Evolution engine and transmission skid plate. You don’t want to chance it.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Took my Jeep out when it had temp tags and had a lot of fun.

No skids, but I was careful on where I went and what line I took. Bouncing can put your belly in danger, so if that's your style or fear then get some good skid plates.

I was worried about the extra weight, but didn't notice it nearly as much as the heavier tires. I will say that having skids makes you take a few more risks, so use with care. 👍

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Our 2022 manual trans Willys had the crossbar forward of the transfer case skid. The build sheet shows "transmission skid plate" but it's a single bar, with a leg that attaches back to the transfer skid held on by the two bolts to the frame and one on the rear leg at the transfer case skid front bar. We removed it and put in an aluminum M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid. MUCH better protected now.

But I did want to point out that our manual trans 2 door had the "skid" bar where some of the manual trans vehicles I've seen didn't. Looks the same as the auto trans bar.

That being said, I think the manual is tucked up there well enough that you'd have to do something pretty severe to hit it, it would have to get up into the chassis, something like a tall, pointed rock or something to reach that far up, and you'd have to come down onto it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
But I did want to point out that our manual trans 2 door had the "skid" bar where some of the manual trans vehicles I've seen didn't. Looks the same as the auto trans bar.
The 2-door's gas tank has a bolt that goes through the front "skid" (at least it did in 2018... not sure about 2019+ 2-doors with the smaller tank).
Sponsored