Sponsored

Has anyone have a missing or stolen key FOB and what did you do to protect yourself from getting your Jeep stolen

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeeping Buddy had his truck stolen by a bad relative which also took his Jeep key FOB that was in the truck. It is gone and warrant for arrest for bad relative is out. Can anyone confirm that the dealer can change the Jeep ID code and reprogram his one and only FOB to an new ID code which will disable the stolen key FOB so they can not steal his Jeep.

Thanks for your help and peach of mine.
Jack
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You may be able to, or it may require he buy a new fob. However, it is possible. Not just dealerships can reprogram them though.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
From an IT guy; everything is hackable...even elevators. lol. Hope you get your FOB code reprogrammed.

Sponsored

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dealer an erase all the keys then program in only the ones he wants. Independent garages can do this also but they have to have the equipment and subscription.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
MacJack, take this to a dealer. Might have to get a new FOB, but definitely worth it for your peace of mind. If not, and if your jeep is taken, you probably could not stop it anyway.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Make sure your batteries are in good shape before going in. My experience is that the dumb techs will kill your battery reprograming and then charge you for the favor of replacing them. Anecdotal, not from FCA, YMMV.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Make sure your batteries are in good shape before going in. My experience is that the dumb techs will kill your battery reprograming and then charge you for the favor of replacing them. Anecdotal, not from FCA, YMMV.
if your battery runs dead from a door being open for 15 minutes, the battery is bad.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
if your battery runs dead from a door being open for 15 minutes, the battery is bad.
It took them 4 days to get my key reprogrammed. I have a feeling it was open longer than that. Not a single electrical issue before it went in except that the keys would quit working upon trying to start. Again, YMMV. Maybe they were just too lazy to do the work and my battery truly was bad only 6 months off the lot.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It took them 4 days to get my key reprogrammed. I have a feeling it was open longer than that. Not a single electrical issue before it went in except that the keys would quit working upon trying to start. Again, YMMV. Maybe they were just too lazy to do the work and my battery truly was bad only 6 months off the lot.
The Mopar AGM batteries are absolute trash. And it didn’t take them 4 days to get your key programmed. It sat on their lot for days, until the computer savvy guy has time to look at it, guaranteed.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
The Mopar AGM batteries are absolute trash. And it didn’t take them 4 days to get your key programmed. It sat on their lot for days, until the computer savvy guy has time to look at it, guaranteed.
I said it wasn’t FCA. To expand, I had a Ford. I’m still pissed about it, obviously. I also went through 3 sets of dry clutches on their newfangled auto transmission. 300 miles after the third repair they failed again and ford quit honoring the warranty.
For the key reprogramming, they called me each night to tell me it wouldn’t take the reprogramming no matter how many times they tried. Totally possible they lied, but I thought it was relevant since some people here have battery issues. Again, anecdotal. Just bringing it up so someone can top off their batteries first and hopefully avoid my heartache.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
irrelevant

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I said it wasn’t FCA. To expand, I had a Ford. I’m still pissed about it, obviously. I also went through 3 sets of dry clutches on their newfangled auto transmission. 300 miles after the third repair they failed again and ford quit honoring the warranty.
For the key reprogramming, they called me each night to tell me it wouldn’t take the reprogramming no matter how many times they tried. Totally possible they lied, but I thought it was relevant since some people here have battery issues. Again, anecdotal. Just bringing it up so someone can top off their batteries first and hopefully avoid my heartache.
Ah that’s too bad, the motorcraft batteries are fairly good, until they explode.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Ah that’s too bad, the motorcraft batteries are fairly good, until they explode.
It pushed me back to 3 pedal vehicles, including my JLUR. Driving is much more fun again. I may have made up for it in smiles since then.
Sponsored