Sponsored

Has Anyone Had A Wrangler With A 2.0 Turbo delivered To Them?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Actually you are wrong, I’ve driven a lot of supercharged/turbo/heavily modified cars.

It honestly sounds like a roots supercharger, as it whines in tandem with the RPM, and it’s not with my foot in it. It’s actuslly quite the opposite. I imagine it’s related to the eTorque, but just wondering if mine is perhaps louder than it should be. I’ve heard others say the motor was silent. I’ll be visiting the dealership soon anyways, so hopefully can compare and figure it out.

I’m fine if that’s how it is, I just want to know if something is wrong. I have one of the first delivered Rubicons, so it’s perfectly reasonable for me to question what is a sound I’ve never heard from a stock vehicle.

You sir can step off
The 2.0T I drove was definitely not silent. It was noisier then a 3.6 without ANC.

I only tried the 2.0T on a 20 minute test drive so I definitely don't have as much experience as you. You might be on to something about the e-Torque and belt noise? I am assuming the belt is only engaged for whatever time it starts the vehicle moving? Up to around 1500 rpm then it disengages so no more load? Belt would still be turning though? I did not notice the whine being in tandem with rpms, I might be wrong about this? I assumed what I was hearing was turbo whine from the turbine. Pitch and sounded like classic turbo whine. Do you have the upgraded Alpine with the Active Noise Correction?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Mine whines like crazy, I’m surprised I haven’t heard anyone else mention it. Was wondering if just a problem with mine, but I’ll wait for more to trickle in to see if others experience as well. Was the one you test drove also a Rubicon?
Think it's normal turbo whine (I always think it sounds like a weed eater)...or because the soft top/noisier then normal car wrangler style?

EDIT: I've driven turbos you can't hear much as well, but some of them have a fairly regular whir/whine. Just curious...I've got a 3.6 because I "couldn't wait." lol

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Cooper, 2016 Corvette Z51
Did you drive a 2.0T or 3.6? The radiator fan was VERY LOUD in the 3.6 Rubicon I drove. I thought for sure something was wrong until I herd another 3.6. It was very hot that day, around 95 degrees or more so A/C was definitely on.
I have a 2.0T but drive the 3.6 back in April. I didn’t notice the fan then but it wasn’t hot out either. The engine bay in mine gets extremely hot, but then again the turbo is up high near the hood, so it’s not great placement for heat dispersion

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.0T I drove was definitely not silent. It was noisier then a 3.6 without ANC.

I only tried the 2.0T on a 20 minute test drive so I definitely don't have as much experience as you. You might be on to something about the e-Torque and belt noise? I am assuming the belt is only engaged for whatever time it starts the vehicle moving? Up to around 1500 rpm then it disengages so no more load? Belt would still be turning though? I did not notice the whine being in tandem with rpms, I might be wrong about this? I assumed what I was hearing was turbo whine from the turbine. Do you have the upgraded Alpine with the Active Noise Correction?
I didn’t notice it on my test drive at the dealer when picking up the Jeep, but then again he had the AC on full blast so that was monopolizing the sound. The one option I didn’t get was the entertainment package (kicking myself on that one, but the sticker had already ballooned to 55k), so I don’t have the noise cancellation. That wouldn’t help with windows down though, and it’s super obvious noise.

Just waiting until more people get their hands on these things to get a better consensus.

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think it's normal turbo whine (I always think it sounds like a weed eater)...or because the soft top/noisier then normal car wrangler style?

EDIT: I've driven turbos you can't hear much as well, but some of them have a fairly regular whir/whine. Just curious...I've got a 3.6 because I "couldn't wait." lol
If anyone knows what a twin screw/roots supercharger sounds like, than that is exactly it. It’s a belt driven whine. It’s either how eTorque is, or I got something else going on. Turbos don’t really whine, they more whistle

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t notice it on my test drive at the dealer when picking up the Jeep, but then again he had the AC on full blast so that was monopolizing the sound. The one option I didn’t get was the entertainment package (kicking myself on that one, but the sticker had already ballooned to 55k), so I don’t have the noise cancellation. That wouldn’t help with windows down though, and it’s super obvious noise.

Just waiting until more people get their hands on these things to get a better consensus.
I went to the dealer with great interest about ANC. I turned off the radio and a/c blower fan for a portion of all of my test drives. Then I turn a/c back on to get a idea of road and engine noise. I did not drive with the windows down. I am assuming I herd classic turbo whine in the 2.0T I tried. Whine was obvious to me because I owned turbo cars and was listing for noises. I don't know if a casual passenger would notice in the Sahara I drove?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone knows what a twin screw/roots supercharger sounds like, than that is exactly it. It’s a belt driven whine. It’s either how eTorque is, or I got something else going on. Turbos don’t really whine, they more whistle
I agree with you on supercharger noise, definitely a whine. Your description of sound is more accurate. I should probably correct myself in my description of the noise I am referring to. I think I am hearing classic turbo "whistle".

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to the dealer with great interest about ANC. I turned off the radio and a/c blower fan for a portion of all of my test drives. Then I turn a/c back on to get a idea of road and engine noise. I did not drive with the windows down. I am assuming I herd classic turbo whine in the 2.0T I tried. Whine was obvious to me because I owned turbo cars and was listing for noises. I don't know if a casual passenger would notice in the Sahara I drove?
Tbh as long as it’s normal I’m ok with it, just not a turbo sound I’m used to. My other car is a 2014 Mini Cooper hardtop, that has a really smooth powerful turbo. That car makes zero noise, and definitely not a whine. I do suppose it’s possible that the top mount turbo (odd), is contributing to the noise.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tbh as long as it’s normal I’m ok with it, just not a turbo sound I’m used to. My other car is a 2014 Mini Cooper hardtop, that has a really smooth powerful turbo in it. That car makes zero whine, but perhaps the placement of the turbo right on top is contributing as well.
I have owned a few turbo cars. I think all had some turbo whistling. Some more then others. A few were Cooper S Minis. All older then yours though so my memory might not be accurate. Last one was 2011 and seem to remember it having a slight whistle. I agree with you. Placement of that Honeywell turbo is high up in the JL. That alone might make the noise more obvious. My 2015 WRX has twin scroll turbo and it seems to whistle louder then other turbos I owned. I wonder if the 2.0T has a twin scroll turbo? i just looked it up, the 2.0T is indeed a twin scroll turbo.

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have owned a few turbo cars. I think all had some turbo whistling. Some more then others. A few were Cooper S Minis. All older then yours though so my memory might not be accurate. Last one was 2011 and seem to remember it having a slight whistle. I agree with you. Placement of that Honeywell turbo is high up in the JL. That alone might make the noise more obvious. My 2015 WRX has twin scroll turbo and it seems to whistle louder then other turbos I owned. I wonder if the 2.0T has a twin scroll turbo?
See it’s definitely not a whistle to me. I might make a quick video tomorrow to see what you think.

If this just how the engine sounds, I’m perfectly fine with it (sounds a bit different and high tech), but again just making sure mine is normal.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See it’s definitely not a whistle to me. I might make a quick video tomorrow to see what you think.

If this just how the engine sounds, I’m perfectly fine with it (sounds a bit different and high tech), but again just making sure mine is normal.
Hopefully other 2.0T owners will report back. That probably is your best bet after posting a video. I have a feeling dealers will not know what's normal or not for a while since the engine is so new. No one has really seen them or worked on them yet. i am betting it's normal.

yellolab

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 718 Boxster, Hydro Blue 2 door
Occupation
sales
Keep in mind with the 2.0L AND the Alpine stereo combination, you get ANC. No Alpine, no ANC. Maybe that’s why we are hearing conflicting noise reports?
Sponsored