Sponsored

Has anyone gotten their accessories stolen, when mounted OUTSIDE the Jeep?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You know, things like traction boards, lights, hi-lift jacks, rotopax cans, awnings etc? I tend to stash anything I can inside for security when possible.

Has anyone gotten any of these things stolen when mounted outside the Jeep? Since most of the time, they're just held down by a few bolts.

My main concerns are about leaving the Jeep at trailheads and go hiking/camping etc, especially overnight.

During my most recent trip, I saw a JL sitting at the trailhead on a bunch of rocks with all wheels missing.

Let's hear some stories.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
So far I've only had a few front bumper shackles go missing. That was on-campus up in Bozeman. I do consider myself lucky.

It does surprise me that so many people keep jacks, traction boards, and fuel cans always-mounted and ready to walk away. Gotta project the image, I guess.

I had a tweaker break into my Jeep in a secured condo parking garage in Park City that stole a Jeep bag with tow straps, hitches, shackles, gloves, and some tools.

A friend had her doors stolen off her YJ at SFO when she was on a work trip. Another friend had the seats stolen out of his Miata at the airport.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
its a matter of how easy can the person swipe it and how easy is it to sell it or make use of it, so most tweakers are not going to be able to take of the bolts by hand, but people that do it for a living can swipe that stuff fast and get away but they are more looking for oem parts than after market because its easier to sell or parts that get them scrap money like cats

i had a friend with a tj who some one stole his door upper halfs and installed their cut up ones, clearly targeted and went in with a plan. and a i had a old coworker who had his intake stolen off his truck, they reached in the fender liner pulled the hood release, guess they struck a lot of cars that night the same way

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This is one of the reasons why I'm cautious about buying overly expensive accessories that needs to be mounted outside, especially say.. Awnings or.. Baja Designs lights, someone can just easly remove 2 bolts and get away with something worth well over a grand.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks.
Probably helps in preventing opportunists in passing.

But if someone's got eyes on you and is premeditated, those coils won't last long against a good pair of wire cutters.

Then again, there is really no defence against anything premeditated. So I guess my point is moot..

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Thanks.
Probably helps in preventing opportunists in passing.

But if someone's got eyes on you and is premeditated, those coils won't last long against a good pair of wire cutters.

Then again, there is really no defence against anything premeditated. So I guess my point is moot..
I agree, if someone wants your stuff bad enough they are going to get it. A pair of those large bolt cutters would cut right through this.

I can't remember the last time I have left my Jeep out overnight other than the campground. Not a vehicle I take to the airport or hotels, so the lock is more for the unprepared thief that might walk by it when I am at a restaurant or out shopping. I keep hearing of guys parked at Walmart that come back and their stuff is gone...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You know, things like traction boards, lights, hi-lift jacks, rotopax cans, awnings etc? I tend to stash anything I can inside for security when possible.

Has anyone gotten any of these things stolen when mounted outside the Jeep? Since most of the time, they're just held down by a few bolts.

My main concerns are about leaving the Jeep at trailheads and go hiking/camping etc, especially overnight.

During my most recent trip, I saw a JL sitting at the trailhead on a bunch of rocks with all wheels missing.

Let's hear some stories.
Everyone I know in Vancouver had their car/truck/apartment broken into at one point or another.

When I moved from Vancouver to Los Angeles in 1998, I was shocked I could leave my convertible parked with the top down and no one ever touched a thing.

Crime exists everywhere, but petty theft is just rampant in Vancouver.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I agree, if someone wants your stuff bad enough they are going to get it. A pair of those large bolt cutters would cut right through this.

I can't remember the last time I have left my Jeep out overnight other than the campground. Not a vehicle I take to the airport or hotels, so the lock is more for the unprepared thief that might walk by it when I am at a restaurant or out shopping. I keep hearing of guys parked at Walmart that come back and their stuff is gone...
Everyone I know in Vancouver had their car/truck/apartment broken into at one point or another.

When I moved from Vancouver to Los Angeles in 1998, I was shocked I could leave my convertible parked with the top down and no one ever touched a thing.

Crime exists everywhere, but petty theft is just rampant in Vancouver.
Yes, I was on the receiving end of one of those as well, actually happened just days after my gf's car was broken into. Literally happened during the 5 minutes I hopped into the supermarket to grab a drink. Was definitely a sad week for both of us.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-broken-into-and-valuables-stolen.47703/

@aldo98229 Also covid lockdowns didn't help the situation as many are out of work and dealing with financial issues so petty crimes are rampant here..

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Not exactly on the outside ... When I was returning to my car at the Calgary airport, I saw a Wrangler owner frantic on his phone (which I thought was odd at 1am). His headlights were taken. As someone pointed out, if a thief wants something bad enough, consider it gone, but locking hood latches at least make it a bit harder.
Sponsored