chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
@liquids

This may help you a little. I ran it down until the distance to empty went from 11 miles to “Range Low” at 10 miles left. Then I drove another 6 miles to a station. I filled the tank all the way and it took 20.014 gallons. Which means that when you’re completely empty according to the gauge your fuel reserve is about 1.5 gallons. YMMV. Literally.

485E492D-6149-4D78-9D85-49FA67DC55A9.jpeg

5F5A49D4-99FC-41CC-BC0F-B9126064C3C8.jpeg

2A803ED8-5CFD-4202-A380-D91F2B9E132C.jpeg

And before any panties get bunched or pearls get clutched, no, I won’t/don’t do this regularly.
Thanks for this post. One of the only useful ones in this entire thread ;)

I thought that the JL line in general was just too cautious when it came to reporting fuel mileage. Since I viewed your post I thought maybe I was remembering incorrectly. Today I ran my tank down as well (according to the gauge).

CXsUgOt.jpg

mhK2aVP.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly then the tank holds 21.5 gallons. That means I should still have 4.5 gallons in my tank when it is reporting empty. Since it isn't a JL issue, I think I'll have the dealership look at this when I drop it off for the next oil change. Also, when I am completely full of fuel, my range is only 248 miles. That is significantly less than what yours shows.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

I thought that the JL line in general was just too cautious when it came to reporting fuel mileage. Since I viewed your post I thought maybe I was remembering incorrectly. Today I ran my tank down as well (according to the gauge).

CXsUgOt.jpg

mhK2aVP.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly then the tank holds 21.5 gallons. That means I should still have 4.5 gallons in my tank when it is reporting empty. Since it isn't a JL issue, I think I'll have the dealership look at this when I drop it off for the next oil change. Also, when I am completely full of fuel, my range is only 248 miles. That is significantly less than what yours shows.
You're welcome. I intended for it to be good information for those who use most of all of a tank of fuel before refilling. I think there may be a thread somewhere on the forum regarding the issue it seems you might be having - a pump shutting off as if the tank is full when it’s actuality not. Or you could just fill up every day like some guys then the fuel gauge is irrelevant unless you’re taking a trip.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
You're welcome. I intended for it to be good information for those who use most of all of a tank of fuel before refilling. I think there may be a thread somewhere on the forum regarding the issue it seems you might be having - a pump shutting off as if the tank is full when it’s actuality not. Or you could just fill up every day like some guys then the fuel gauge is irrelevant unless you’re taking a trip.
Where is this thread you are referring to? I only put gas in at 1/4 tank or so. I thought perhaps the pump was shutting off early when I was filling it today. I pulled the nozzle out an inch or so and slowly started to put gas back in. It clicked off instantly. I think my issue is the level reader isn't properly installed in the tank. I'll let my dealer figure it out. Needless to say, something isn't correct.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Where is this thread you are referring to? I only put gas in at 1/4 tank or so. I thought perhaps the pump was shutting off early when I was filling it today. I pulled the nozzle out an inch or so and slowly started to put gas back in. It clicked off instantly. I think my issue is the level reader isn't properly installed in the tank. I'll let my dealer figure it out. Needless to say, something isn't correct.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/help-how-much-gas-does-your-tank-let-you-fill.18311/

Sponsored

Flip888

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cbr1krr, DRZ4-sm, Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business owner.
I've run out of gas once with my xj Cherokee. It let me know about 2 minutes before I was completely empty, by sputtering. When it finally ran out of gas. I let it sit for about 5 minutes before trying start it again just for the hell of it. To my surprise it actually started and I was able to drive it the 1/4 mile I needed to a gas station.

The reason I ran out was because my idiot girlfriend at the time returned it to me almost completely empty.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
On my Harley, when it gets low it turns on the gps and gives you directions to the closest gas stations. Scared me to death first time it did it. I’ve gotten used to the voices in my head when I’m alone, but one outside was something different.

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5

CXsUgOt.jpg

mhK2aVP.jpg

In another thread, me and the only other guy to admit to running out of gas in their JLs talked about refill volume afterward. I was able to put 21 in, he could fit 20.5. So it's something to consider if you find yourself getting low and guessing how much range you really have left (cuz the computers are a crap shoot). You only have 20.5 - 21 usable gallons in your 21.5 gal tank. Hit that gas station 10-20 miles sooner.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's kind of a bad habit with me, a result of my goal to stop for gas as few times as I can. I've run out at least half a dozen times over the last 25 years.

Anyway, I ran out at the top of a hill and *almost* coasted to the gas station 2/3 mi. away - came up two blocks short. Of my Jeep's dozen or so full tanks up to then, this one was furthest off from the computer's calculation/estimate of my mileage. Actual was about 0.7 mpg under computed.

That said, I'm happy with my mileage. I average about 22 over a year; 23-ish in summer and 20-ish in winter. JLU with stick.
I went for a long cruise a couple of weeks ago and ran the Jeep down to almost empty. At the time I wasn't worried as there were plenty of gas stations around. I was about 50 miles from home and decided I wanted to get something to eat. After food I was planning on going to get fuel. I pull in to the local hamburger joint and walk all the way to the door. I normally check for things like phone and wallet and when I feel for my wallet it is not there. I know I didn't loose it since I haven't been anywhere... I must have not grabbed it when I left home.

So I jump back in the Jeep and start heading back home. At this point the low fuel light is on and I really don't know if I will make it.. From what it says on the Nav and what it says on remaining miles, It was going to be close.

I made it in the end but stuff happens and this same thing could easily happen again at some point. I'm not looking to run out of fuel but could really care less if the light comes on.

I think it has been 30 or so years since I ran out of fuel...knock on wood... but when I did it was because I didn't have the money and was trying to make to some friends. Not a good feeling for sure. Those that made it last minute or luckily were able to coast to the station... had to be a good feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.