RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This is totally silly, not wanting to stop to get gas and admitting your Lazy. WOW
I have no issues stopping to get fuel not leaving the tank empty and a issue comes up is worst thing ever.
That is not lazy that's a safety issue basically saying I don't care about family or issues.
Thank you. It's like the OP is exposed to major risks factors from filling his tank and that he didn't foresee he'd need to do this filling when he bought a automobile that runs on liquid fuel that, in actuality, doesn't run for 25 years straight like a nuclear reactor just brought on line with a fresh fuel rod core.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Do you think not visiting a gas station because they're dirty, noisy and may cause the OP to swipe more than once because he runs up such a high fuel charge as a result of his infrequency of fill up are sound reasons (no pun intended) for not filling up?

You haven't said either way.

And yet I couldn't care less if his actions didn't potentially interfere with others on the road. Let him run out of gas on all the private roads, with the owner's consent, he chooses to.
Well, I really don’t care whether his reasoning is sound or not because it’s not nearly as serious to me as it seems to be to you. I do think that you’re less in touch with reality than the OP is though. Because in my viewpoint, it ain’t that big a deal that dude ran out of gas one time because he’s got wacky reasons for not filling up sooner. It was one time. One! You’re acting as if he claims to do this every week and blowing the potential “life threatening” nature of a car out of gas on the roadway WAY out of proportion to actual reality as I see it. That’s what I think. If he runs out of gas I’m sure that he could either coast to the roadside or parking lot. And if not, how hard do you imagine it is to push a vehicle out of traffic lanes? How long do you think that takes?

Do you get so worked up about someone who has a flat on the road because he didn’t check his air pressure regularly? A guy who breaks down in the street down because of a worn belt that he knew he should have changed a week ago but just didn’t find the time? Would you harange those guys for ignoring proper vehicle maintenance and recklessly endangering the lives of others, or would you be a part of the solution and help them push their car out of traffic?

I’m not validating the reasons he has for doing what he does. I’m not qualified to make a judgement about his state of mental health or fitness based on his disdain for not wanting to fill up as often as you think he should. Or his reasons why he does it. I don’t feel that he’s seriously endangering the general public to the extreme extent that you do. So frankly I don’t care as much as you do.

I’ve got a delicious bottle of Kentucky bourbon whiskey here that I’ve been hunting down for months. I’m going to have myself a drink of it. Maybe two. On the rocks. If you imbibe, I suggest you join me and do the same. :)

2167860C-3F37-46C0-8DE4-2A8D8E582AA7.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Well, I really don’t care whether his reasoning is sound or not
I didn't ask that, but ok.

I do think that you’re less in touch with reality than the OP is though.

Ok, then let me educate you. I've personally known of people who died, who could have been saved, were it not for traffic preventing them from getting the help they needed in time. Some of that traffic stemmed from the irresponsibility of drivers far more responsible that someone who plays a game of "chicken" with his gas tank in which the gas tank doesn't lose, because it doesn't care. I've known of people in acute levels of pain that getting to the hospital faster would have helped sooner.

And yet you think I'm out of touch relative to a guy whose self proclaimed reasons from gasoline fill up infrequency deal with station cleanliness, noise, and credit limits per swipe he himself exacerbates through his habits.

….one time
The OP can remember 6 times it's happened; even he considers it a bad habit. Go read the first post.

….because he’s got wacky reasons for not filling up sooner
….so....first you don't care what the reasoning is, but on second thought it's wacky? Don't tell the OP that. He'll think your hating on him.

Funny, I truly don't care what his reasons are because they make no sense and I don't care if they do. I care about his actions. Reasonable people take easy steps to not increase the chances that they will become self contained road blocks.

You’re acting as if he claims to do this every week and blowing the potential “life threatening” nature of a car out of gas on the roadway WAY out of proportion to actual reality as I see it.
What I'm doing is not acting, but claiming that the OP has no excuse for subjecting others to even the possibility of inconvenience or worse that might result from his even remotely having the chance of running out of gas. There's plenty of things that can strand the conscientious owner of a rig that people don't need to be taking absurd actions to increase those odds. I'm saying that the costs of filling up, monetary or otherwise, are so exponentially outweighed by the benefits to not simply the OP, but motorists around him from not "running dry."

@Jeep noob, @liquids gas purchase is not on par with my daughter's college dining dollars, which she looses at semester's end if she overbudgets. The gasoline he buys "carries over" from one billing period to the next. It's not as if he's saving money with his self proclaimed bad habits.
That’s what I think. If he runs out of gas I’m sure that he could either coast to the roadside or parking lot.
Here's what I know--not what you think. I know that plenty of situations can occur where the OP won't have the liberties to make the maneuvers you're falsely sure he can--not the least of which being the classic secondary tie up that running out of fuel while stuck in traffic can create.

And if not, how hard do you imagine it is to push a vehicle out of traffic lanes? How long do you think that takes?
Yes...lets all slow down on the highway that the OP couldn't manage to get over to the shoulder on, that's if a shoulder even exists, to risk the rear ending accident that our good Samaritan efforts might cause, all for someone who clearly doesn't give a rat's ass about us.

Do you get so worked up about someone who has a flat on the road because he didn’t check his air pressure regularly?
Ah...the analogy attempt. Let's crack that nut @Jeep noob. Following along? Your scenario, worse case, limits, not thwarts movement.

A guy who breaks down in the street down because of a worn belt that he knew he should have changed a week ago but just didn’t find the time? Would you harange those guys for ignoring proper vehicle maintenance and recklessly endangering the lives of others, or would you be a part of the solution and help them push their car out of traffic?
Why yes I would:;) but only if it could be shown that changing a belt can be done with the same minimal level of effort (which it can't) involved with filling up the tank. And only if the belt had a light on the dash that said, "your belt is 80% worn through...your belt is 90% worn through" as we essentially have with our gas tanks.

Shall I continue or can you catch where your analogy fails?

You make it sound like I can't see areas of grey, or even understand the plight of the poor person who taking their mother to see their mother can't afford the gas. The OP's driving a $40K rig he had no business owning if he has to finance its gasoline, not that he ever claimed money as justification for his gas station infrequency.

I’m not validating the reasons he has for doing what he does. I’m not qualified to make a judgement about his state of mental health or fitness based on his disdain for not wanting to fill up as often as you think he should.
Qualified?. @Jeep noob, one need not have any qualifications beyond common sense to understand that the OP's reported reasoning for infrequent fills does not comport with reality anymore than you need to be a butcher to buy a cut of meat, or far more important that the behavior introduces the possibility of hazard so easily avoided.

The least level of pathology resides in the OP's sentiments being accurate. Worse scenarios find his reported reasoning as a cover for even more disturbed underlying rationales and diagnoses.

You consider me less in touch than the OP but seek for me to engage in an activity (drinking) that will destroy the few brain cells you impune me to have left? Pass.

Counteroffer, consider the police officer who didn't get to a scene fast enough. Consider the one accidently killed behind a vehicle, pulled over or disabled. Consider the patient who bleeds out in route to the hospital, or the one in cardiac arrest on an ambulance void of cardiac meds or defibrillation equipment. Even consider the woman in labor in out of her mind pain that won't kill her who paradoxically enough can't get a spinal because she got to the hospital to late into her delivery.

Let's subject ourselves to the least hazardous of all these: the simulation of labor pains while were stuck behind the OP trying to get to the hospital, and re-have this discussion.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yet another rant.... give me a friggin break. :puke:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You win the internet RussJeep1. I clearly see your point now. How could I have been so wrong and out of touch??? I apologize. I’m sorry for your loss of loved ones that died because of some irresponsible driver that delayed their care causing their death. My condolences.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yet another rant.... give me a friggin break. :puke:

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
It's kind of a bad habit with me, a result of my goal to stop for gas as few times as I can. I've run out at least half a dozen times over the last 25 years.

Anyway, I ran out at the top of a hill and *almost* coasted to the gas station 2/3 mi. away - came up two blocks short. Of my Jeep's dozen or so full tanks up to then, this one was furthest off from the computer's calculation/estimate of my mileage. Actual was about 0.7 mpg under computed.

That said, I'm happy with my mileage. I average about 22 over a year; 23-ish in summer and 20-ish in winter. JLU with stick.
You will damage your fuel pump system by going as close to empty all the time. You are better off filling up when you hit 1/4 tank.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Every single time I get into my car after I've let my GF use it for a bit the low range light is on. We've been together a long time and share a bank account it isn't about money she just hates getting fuel. I keep about ten gallons so I put a few in before heading to fuel up. My sister is even worse. I've gotten in her 4runner multiple times with 0 miles to empty lit up. It goes about fifty miles past that but it still drives me crazy. My dad fills up her tank every time he visits

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems like you’d suck up debris
Old wive's tale.

The pickup on modern vehicles hangs down from the top like an oil pump pickup. IF there is some debris in the tank, it will suck it up regardless of fuel level.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Growing up in my household my Father had what he called "The Half Tank Rule." When your tank gets to half full you fill it up. The reason for this was because my uncle was really bad about always not having enough gas in his vehicles. He always left his vehicles almost on empty. One day his son broke his leg and they had to stop on the way to hospital to put gas in the car. My cousin had to sit in the passenger seat with a broken leg in pain while my uncle filled the tank up and this was before they had credit card machines at the pump. It took an extra 15 to 20 minutes. Hence "The Half Tank Rule."

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The valid reasons for not running out of fuel regularly are:
  1. it leaves you stranded and you have to figure out how to get fuel
  2. it's never a convenient time, someday it may be a time when something really important depends on getting where you were headed promptly. (injury, illness, etc.)
  3. severe weather can make being out of fuel and stranded life threatening in some places
  4. fuel pumps are submerged in the fuel in the tank for cooling. No fuel, no cooling. (of course, no fuel, no load too)
If the OP just can't break the habit of running that low, he may want to consider adding a small reserve tank. 2 gallons is enough to prevent a tragedy, but keep you honest and get fuel.

I've run out a number of times over the years, most recent was over 6 years ago. I knew I needed fuel coming home on a hunting trip with the dog. I was tired and just forgot and drove until it quit on I-405 in Long Beach CA where the freeway is below street level. I was in the fast lane at 6:00 a.m. going 75 mph when it suddenly quit. I signaled and moved across all 4-5 lanes and got to an off-ramp and coasted up it onto the street and into a parking lot. I had to call AAA for fuel. It could have been a lot worse.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've always ran all my vehicles after the gas light turns on. I'm always interested to see how far I can go on a full tank, sometimes I'm lazy and I'll just wait to the next day.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Growing up in my household my Father had what he called "The Half Tank Rule." When your tank gets to half full you fill it up. The reason for this was because my uncle was really bad about always not having enough gas in his vehicles. He always left his vehicles almost on empty. One day his son broke his leg and they had to stop on the way to hospital to put gas in the car. My cousin had to sit in the passenger seat with a broken leg in pain while my uncle filled the tank up and this was before they had credit card machines at the pump. It took an extra 15 to 20 minutes. Hence "The Half Tank Rule."

Stories like this are very likely to have an impact / change, someone's view in regard to keeping a decent amount of gas in the fuel tank. My Son's had a Father like your's.... a Father spewing, "The Half Tank Rule".

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I gotta jump in here again (can't help it ... psychological problem :CWL:).

Several of us have already pointed out the fallacy of the sediment/debris issue (I'm not reiterating; read through). Let's now hit the overheating pump bs.

At freeway speeds while towing (the highest flow rate per minute), you might pump 6 gal per hour. That's a gallon every ten minutes, or about 13 oz/min; in other words, a glass of water. What kind of pumps do you think they're putting in these 1/4 million new Jeeps per year that they generate so much heat at 13 oz/min that they fail if subjected to limited external cooling 5-10% of the time? Remember, they still have internal cooling up until the time they shut themselves off.

(Side note: This is why I brought up Arizona/Texas ambient temps vs Michigan way back on pg 1 or 2. The only time the pump cooling isn't assisted by liquid, they have air around them. Michigan air is, on average, 30 deg cooler than in the southwest. And yet, there are no recalls of fuel pumps gone bad in hot areas.)

Sure, you can still come at me and call me crazy, insensitive, mean, ugly, fat, drunk and stupid for choosing to wait until I know it's really almost empty (and miscalculating once every 4-5 years), but just stop bringing up this pseudomechanical bulls*** about damaging the vehicle with low gas levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.