Not open for further replies.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My wife gets so pissed at me. She fills up when her car is half empty. I have this "thing" about seeing how much I can get out of a tank. That was a bad idea this past week when driving to Boston on half a tank and thinking we could get back to Hartford on that half tank. She was so pissed at me driving home because we had to find a gas station at 1am where there aren't any open. I came within 12 miles of empty. So, I think I better change my ways on this. I heard one time in a Psychology class that this is very typical of something men do that women don't usually do. If you think about it, it's kind of like a challenge, ego, gaming kind of mentality. Like, lets see just how far we can push this envelope. Deserted on a desert island type thing. LOL
How many gallons was the refill at 12 miles to empty?
Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
How many gallons was the refill at 12 miles to empty?
I was so busy being yelled at I don't remember. However, one of the responses above basically stated that with 6 miles to go there was still 1.5 gallons to dry. If you average 20mpg, you may actually have 30 miles when you are being told you're empty at 0. I'm not sure I would test that but it's good to know.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

I agree, poor guy.

But not because he's run out of gas, as that was his choice...well sort of.

I say "sort of" because if the OP "chooses" to live this way, lady luck will eventually let him down.

Calculations will fail. Some unexpected tie up will cause him to create a secondary tie up when the tank goes dry.

And I say "chooses" because his reasons for doing this don't make sense--which tells me that either he's get some problem because he thinks that gas station dirt, and noise, and having to swipe a credit card twice (the latter his own doing from the infrequency of his filling) are reasons to avoid the pumps, or worse, he's citing these reasons to conceal worse reasons for his gas station fill infrequency. And if he has such problems, he earns my sympathy, perhaps not being able to see the forest from the trees and get help for this problem, instead accusing others of hating his "ideas."

But to the extent that thrill seeking selfishness motivates this behavior, I have no patience for his blocking traffic, and tying up emergency services on either his stranded rig, or in the traffic jams he may create when said emergency vehicles are trying to get to a real emergency.

Another poster wrote about trying to see how far he can go on a tank of gas. Great. Do it on private roads. And carry a gasoline filled fresh Jerry can so your cheapness or adventure seeking doesn't inconvenience others.

If this behavior was good for the rig, and many have come forward to say it's bad, it would still be unacceptable. I get that you need not fill up on 3/4 or 1/2 a tank. But by 1/4, unless you only take the rig down the block to church on Sundays, fill it up. Do it for you, do it for "us."

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have this "thing" about seeing how much I can get out of a tank.
Ok. Then practice it on private roads. And carry a filled and fresh Jerry can. But recognize that whatever motivates you to effect this practice may do us all a disservice.

#dontwant2getstuckbehindu

#clearroadssavelives

#savepolice4trueemergencies

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Ok. Then practice it on private roads. And carry a filled and fresh Jerry can. But recognize that whatever motivates you to effect this practice may do us all a disservice.

#dontwant2getstuckbehindu

#clearroadssavelives

#savepolice4trueemergencies
I never ran out of gas just as a sidetone, but thank you for your concerns and concern for others.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
All right, I knew I'd run into poo-poo-ers, so here goes ...

The whole sediment/debris issue is hogwash. If you CAN run your tank down to empty, that means that it's still supplying gas to the pump until it is empty. The ONLY way it could do that is if the input tube/hole for the pump is at the bottom of the tank. That means it's sucking up sediment every time you start your car in the morning, whether it's full, 1/4 full or almost empty.

Heat in Michigan will never ruin a fuel pump. These Jeeps were designed to work in really hot places like Texas and Arizona, and to continue to work if thousands of people like me don't go to the gas station until they're almost empty.

And I don't know what the last user thinks I recognize as an issue. I never said anything like the comments I quoted here. I'm actively refuting them.

I don't like going to the gas station. It's dirty, they play that f-ing GSTV too loud, and sometimes they make me pay twice because they have a dollar limit for the card on the pump. On the positive side, I drive very economically, usually cruising around 1300-1500 rpms. Hell, I figured out I can idle in 4th and go 26 mph, perfect for residential streets. If you're concerned, don't drive behind me ... my license plate is LIQUIDS.
You didn't mention, is your doctorate in engineering? Psychology? Guessing neither but you might want to go talk to someone that has the second one.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I never ran out of gas just as a sidetone, but thank you for your concerns and concern for others.

Gerry...the behavior increases the risks that you might.

You of all people, a Paramedic by trade can appreciate that some emergent medical problems that can be treated and resolved in the field, where minutes lie in the balance between life, permanent brain damage and death are predicated on nothing more than the rig (and I don't mean Wrangler, I mean the ambulance, "the bus" if you prefer) getting to a location with expedience.

The notion that somebody might die, other than the risk taker themselves, as you can tell, boils my blood because giving a hoot about others is just how I was raised.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You didn't mention, is your doctorate in engineering? Psychology? Guessing neither but you might want to go talk to someone that has the second one.
@nerubi : the OP doesn't perceive himself as having issues and won't get treated for that he doesn't perceive as a problem.

I tried. I got called, as expected, a hater.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
I agree, poor guy.

But not because he's run out of gas, as that was his choice...well sort of.

I say "sort of" because if the OP "chooses" to live this way, lady luck will eventually let him down.

Calculations will fail. Some unexpected tie up will cause him to create a secondary tie up when the tank goes dry.

And I say "chooses" because his reasons for doing this don't make sense--which tells me that either he's get some problem because he thinks that gas station dirt, and noise, and having to swipe a credit card twice (the latter his own doing from the infrequency of his filling) are reasons to avoid the pumps, or worse, he's citing these reasons to conceal worse reasons for his gas station fill infrequency. And if he has such problems, he earns my sympathy, perhaps not being able to see the forest from the trees and get help for this problem, instead accusing others of hating his "ideas."

But to the extent that thrill seeking selfishness motivates this behavior, I have no patience for his blocking traffic, and tying up emergency services on either his stranded rig, or in the traffic jams he may create when said emergency vehicles are trying to get to a real emergency.

Another poster wrote about trying to see how far he can go on a tank of gas. Great. Do it on private roads. And carry a gasoline filled fresh Jerry can so your cheapness or adventure seeking doesn't inconvenience others.

If this behavior was good for the rig, and many have come forward to say it's bad, it would still be unacceptable. I get that you need not fill up on 3/4 or 1/2 a tank. But by 1/4, unless you only take the rig down the block to church on Sundays, fill it up. Do it for you, do it for "us."
WOW!. You could expend all that time and energy fighting for a cause rather then nitpicking someone who fills up when almost empty. How about writing a letter of that detail petitioning the end the Government shutdown or of something with more value and importance. You write well, but man, you're taking this all too seriously..

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
WOW!. You could expend all that time and energy fighting for a cause rather then nitpicking someone who fills up when almost empty. How about writing a letter of that detail petitioning the end the Government shutdown or of something with more value and importance. You write well, but man, you're taking this all too seriously..
You presume that my issue with those of similar mindset to the OPs precludes me from fighting causes that my efforts can make a dent in: our Government shutdown sadly, irrespective of the side I or anyone is on, not being one of them. What I can do in this regard is make things like food available to those government workers who need it: and I have given my $ and time to these efforts.

I take this seriously because there are enough risks associated with the things about driving we can't prevent to introduce ones like my initial post on this thread parodies on the TV show Seinfeld.

To the irrationally frugal: you won't save money worth counting filling up less frequently. That's the stuff of the aeronautical world where weight = gas and FAA regulations mandate minimum fuel weights given logged flight plan distances traveled and mandatory reserves.

To the risk seekers: be my guest. There are plenty of things, from bungee jumping to target parachuting to off public roadway driving on empty for your adrenaline rush that don't compromise anyone but you should your risks go sideways or "South."

I'm not much about telling anyone how to choose their destiny or pick their risks: some of which are unavoidable in life, and some of which life would be somewhat empty without taking (e.g. airplane travel) where they alone suffer the consequences of a bad plan, or one that simply is ill fated.

Just don't practice it where if your plan goes belly up, others, including the cop who came to your aid on the highway and got struck and killed accidently by another car as a result, are forced to potentially share the ill effects of your risks.

It's like I'm asking so much here.

It's like I told the OP, a strange man carrying a gun: the same gun some of us lack is on your property. You call the police and they come as fast as they can, otherwise thwarted in response time by some douche who's blocking traffic trying to test "how far he can take it."

You're darn right that selfish behavior gets under my skin.

Sponsored

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I thought I'd check back in to my thread after a week. (a mention and two quotes last night) The gabfest continues. I did notice that there are seven post numbers missing, so the only member of this forum that I've ignored has apparently not let it go yet. :giggle:
Thanks for everyone else's concerns. See ya in another week. I should need gas by then.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I thought I'd check back in to my thread after a week. (a mention and two quotes last night) The gabfest continues. I did notice that there are seven post numbers missing, so the only member of this forum that I've ignored has apparently not let it go yet. :giggle:
Thanks for everyone else's concerns. See ya in another week. I should need gas by then.
You're Satan! - blah blah blah - won’t you think of the children! - blah blah blah - you need psychiatric help for your horrible condition! - blah blah blah - this is the worst and most dangerous irresponsible thing ever!!!!

Now you’re all caught up. You’re welcome. :rock:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You're Satan! - blah blah blah - won’t you think of the children! - blah blah blah - you need psychiatric help for your horrible condition! - blah blah blah - this is the worst and most dangerous irresponsible thing ever!!!!

Now you’re all caught up. You’re welcome. :rock:
Do you think not visiting a gas station because they're dirty, noisy and may cause the OP to swipe more than once because he runs up such a high fuel charge as a result of his infrequency of fill up are sound reasons (no pun intended) for not filling up?

You haven't said either way.

And yet I couldn't care less if his actions didn't potentially interfere with others on the road. Let him run out of gas on all the private roads, with the owner's consent, he chooses to.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
This is totally silly, not wanting to stop to get gas and admitting your Lazy. WOW
I have no issues stopping to get fuel not leaving the tank empty and a issue comes up is worst thing ever.
That is not lazy that's a safety issue basically saying I don't care about family or issues.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.