Turk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR BW
Occupation
Industrial HVAC Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I ran out of mental gas getting from first page of this thread to the last.

I lost valuable minutes of my life...that I could and perhaps should have been doing literally anything else. But I'm here now...I made it.

O.P. please sell the jeep and buy a Prius
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I think he just bought a couple of years to soon. Seems like the perfect customer for the plug in Wrangler.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Some people plan ahead and/or plan for the worst case scenario. Some people deal with situations, as they arise.

Fortunately, depending on where one is located, there are plenty of gas stations available.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think he just bought a couple of years to soon. Seems like the perfect customer for the plug in Wrangler.
I hear you Bill. I also think that all he'd end up doing is seeing how low the battery could go (which would cause harm) because "the electric cord is dirty, or noisy to take out," or some other reason that isn't really reflective of his underlying reasons and pathology, that he's too embarrassed to admit (e.g. pathological cheapness,) or because he really believes such dirt and noise are more than adequate tradeoffs for risking getting stranded, affecting himself and possible others: equally pathological.

I fully resign myself to be seen by him as a hater of what he sees as his ideas, when what I truly in my heart believe is his pathology, given this gas station aversion explanation of the OPs is both easily overcome (e.g. ear plugs for noise,) in part born of his own behavior (need to double swipe card because he buys too much gas too infrequently) and not in line with mainstream thinking not because he's a visionary, but a man with problems.

The man is noise and dirt adverse but finds himself, of all the vehicles he could own, gravitating to a Wrangler which is known for both?

Am I the only one who sees some serious discord here? As they say, "you do the math." It doesn't add up here.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I think he gets some sort of adrenaline rush from just seeing how far he can push it. To each his own I guess. Some people jump off bridges tied to a bungee cord. Some people eat Tide pods.....
But at least they don’t hold up traffic behind them.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This thread need to run out of gas! :cwl:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
How are you getting 34 MPG?!
Scott. Running lowest octane, my average (not the instaneous as in the right lower corner of the picture) MPG isn't even as good as the 18.4 shown.

M1911a1fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON , 2021 JT MOJAVE
Occupation
BMW Service Director
Being in the automotive repair industry for the last 29 years, I've seen in-tank fuel pumps lives get cut in half by owners that don't keep some fuel in their tank. the "heat" that is a problem is the repeatedly running it low. it doesn't happen immediately, it's over the thousands of miles of repeatedly heating up that pump by taking away it's cooling/lubricating. I agree going to the gas station is a pain. (BP is making it better with their app), but there is nothing wrong with being prepared. Keep some gas in the tank. Wrangler owners are usually the grown up Boy or Girl Scout type or veterans, practice what you where told way back when. I'll pull over and help anyone on the side of the road, but if you're out of gas, shame on you.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@liquids

This may help you a little. I ran it down until the distance to empty went from 11 miles to “Range Low” at 10 miles left. Then I drove another 6 miles to a station. I filled the tank all the way and it took 20.014 gallons. Which means that when you’re completely empty according to the gauge your fuel reserve is about 1.5 gallons. YMMV. Literally.

485E492D-6149-4D78-9D85-49FA67DC55A9.jpeg

5F5A49D4-99FC-41CC-BC0F-B9126064C3C8.jpeg

2A803ED8-5CFD-4202-A380-D91F2B9E132C.jpeg

And before any panties get bunched or pearls get clutched, no, I won’t/don’t do this regularly.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
It's kind of a bad habit with me, a result of my goal to stop for gas as few times as I can. I've run out at least half a dozen times over the last 25 years.

Anyway, I ran out at the top of a hill and *almost* coasted to the gas station 2/3 mi. away - came up two blocks short. Of my Jeep's dozen or so full tanks up to then, this one was furthest off from the computer's calculation/estimate of my mileage. Actual was about 0.7 mpg under computed.

That said, I'm happy with my mileage. I average about 22 over a year; 23-ish in summer and 20-ish in winter. JLU with stick.
My wife gets so pissed at me. She fills up when her car is half empty. I have this "thing" about seeing how much I can get out of a tank. That was a bad idea this past week when driving to Boston on half a tank and thinking we could get back to Hartford on that half tank. She was so pissed at me driving home because we had to find a gas station at 1am where there aren't any open. I came within 12 miles of empty. So, I think I better change my ways on this. I heard one time in a Psychology class that this is very typical of something men do that women don't usually do. If you think about it, it's kind of like a challenge, ego, gaming kind of mentality. Like, lets see just how far we can push this envelope. Deserted on a desert island type thing. LOL

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
@liquids

This may help you a little. I ran it down until the distance to empty went from 11 miles to “Range Low” at 10 miles left. Then I drove another 6 miles to a station. I filled the tank all the way and it took 20.014 gallons. Which means that when you’re completely empty according to the gauge your fuel reserve is about 1.5 gallons. YMMV. Literally.

485E492D-6149-4D78-9D85-49FA67DC55A9.jpeg

5F5A49D4-99FC-41CC-BC0F-B9126064C3C8.jpeg

2A803ED8-5CFD-4202-A380-D91F2B9E132C.jpeg

And before any panties get bunched or pearls get clutched, no, I won’t/don’t do this regularly.
So you're saying that we can still presumably drive another 25 miles when it says 0 miles?. That actually might not be a good thing to know. LOL??

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Your gauge is way more accurate than mine. When mine says the range is 0 my tank still has over 3 gallons of gas.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.