RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Have any of y’all ever been around a major city in the south east when it snows? People aren’t used to it, and loose their minds. What is normally a 15-20 minute drive might take two hours or more, all because of traffic. Not necessarily road conditions, just people panicking. I’d hate to get stuck in that mess with only a couple of gallons.
Freakin this. Anybody who lives in a cold climate with an IQ greater than the snow itself appreciates the importance of running a rig with a well filled tank. Getting to destinations may take longer than planned: a lot longer.

Bravo @BillG, Bravo.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Blah Blah Blah, more interesting to me than the OP's driving habits is why anyone else care. Let the ding dong run out of gas all he wants, who cares?

I'm going to start a thread where I think the earth is flat.
lol. And yet you've been reading it and cared to comment

Reactions: KDB

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
lol. And yet you've been reading it and cared to comment
To the contrary I made it about 1/4 of way through the first page. Then jumped to the end. From what I saw it looked like possibly a bunch of angry liberal Trump haters who have to take issue with whatever they don't agree with.

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Too many haters to respond to. Thanks to @Jeep noob for not hating me as much. Most of the rest of you have your panties in bunch over something that I've NEVER created a traffic backup or dangerous situation over. Don't you people have shoulders on your roads?

Rather than waste more time on that |^^^|, respond to this |vvv|.

Anyway, another possibly useful observation of my running out of gas: It started on seemingly the first revolution after gassing up. This suggests the tank pump probably didn't run dry. It probably has a sensor to cut it off if it can't detect gas to pump, which if true would prevent it from damaging itself in that circumstance. This might be associated with an earlier observation that I could only put 21 (not 21.5) gal in it afterwards. In other words, it might be a 21.5 gal tank, but at 0.5 gal the (hypothetical) no-fuel sensor shuts it off.

FCA engineer question (mildly hijacking my own thread): Is there a second fuel pump at the engine to get the fuel up to the pressures needed for fuel injection, or is the line pressurized all the way from the tank?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Modern vehicles usually crank right up after they’ve run out of gas and been refueled. This isn’t an old carbureted vehicle where you need to prime the carburetor and pump the accelerator pedal to get it started again. Once there’s fuel in the tank you turn the key, the pump is powered and it sucks up fuel and it’s deliveres to your injectors. The car starts and runs. That’s it.

Now don’t run out of gas again lest you earn yourself more scorn and ridicule of the Jeep community at large!

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
To the contrary I made it about 1/4 of way through the first page. Then jumped to the end. From what I saw it looked like possibly a bunch of angry liberal Trump haters who have to take issue with whatever they don't agree with.
And you on the other hand are just a troll.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I care because I don't want him tying up innocent motorists, possibly the police, and causing a dangerous situation. If he wants to do this on a closed private road, as far as I am concerned he should feel free.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Does everyone know how hard it is to even run out of gas in a JL? My tank was completely empty according to my gauge this morning. I had to run across town for an appointment. When I went to lunch I stopped to fill it up. It took less than 17 gallons. I believe the tank is 21.5.... or did it slightly shrink this year? Regardless, I still had close to 100 miles of fuel still in the tank. Who is ever going to drive that far on empty? It just makes me mad I can’t use my remote start when I still have 150 or so miles still in the tank.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Too many haters to respond to.

You confuse haters with people who find the reasons for you not filling up so senseless, let alone compared to the inconvenience you can cause others.

Most of the rest of you have your panties in bunch over something that I've NEVER created a traffic backup or dangerous situation over.
And you never will, at least as a result of running out of gas, if you abandoned this ridiculous habit.

Liquids: if you presented these reasons for not visiting a gas station to a mental health therapist: too noisy, have to swipe more than once, dirty, you would be on a fast track for a diagnosis. They simple don't comport with any sense of logic. This is not insult, or hate, it's just fact. Said therapist, if competent, would ask you, "don't you encounter dirt on a wet driving day, can't you wear ear plugs, can't you use cash, can't you find another gas station? You're highly dirt adverse and yet you drive of all things a Wrangler?"

Don't you people have shoulders on your roads?
These shoulders, when available, are for the sorry driver who took care of their vehicle and yet despite that, encountered bad luck. There not for people who increase the odds of them needed this real estate based on irresponsible driving habits. Shoulders, particularly on freeways, can be dangerous places for you to be for both yourself and other motorists.

Tell you what....I don't want my tax money to go to paying for the cop that gets tied up directing traffic when you get stuck in unanticipated traffic on the freeway and create a secondary tie up running out of the fuel you thought was enough. If you play this game long enough, it sounds like lady luck may eventually turn her back on you.

Instead, I want you to pay. Let's amortize that cost. With benefits, the time of the officer, his rig, $1000 please.

You want to do this stuff on private roads...by all means be my guest.

Anyway, another possibly useful observation of my running out of gas: It started on seemingly the first revolution after gassing up. This suggests the tank pump probably didn't run dry. It probably has a sensor to cut it off if it can't detect gas to pump, which if true would prevent it from damaging itself in that circumstance. This might be associated with an earlier observation that I could only put 21 (not 21.5) gal in it afterwards. In other words, it might be a 21.5 gal tank, but at 0.5 gal the (hypothetical) no-fuel sensor shuts it off.
Liquids...stop...stop this academic discussion about that which should not be. If your practices were beneficial to your vehicle you owe it to other motorists to still not do them.

FCA engineer question (mildly hijacking my own thread): Is there a second fuel pump at the engine to get the fuel up to the pressures needed for fuel injection, or is the line pressurized all the way from the tank?
I don't know and wouldn't tell you if I did--and not because I want to be rude, but because I don't want to enable you.

You know what you need? You need a dangerous intruder on your property so you can call the police, and they don't respond as fast as they can telling you upon arrival that some moron who ran out of gas on route 4 tied them up.

Your behaviors increase the risk that you will tax essential services. I have a problem with that. I have a problem with the cop who G-d forbid gets killed by another motorist when parked behind your sorry ass on the freeway.

Grow up. There are plenty of risky things you can do, if that's your thing, where only you will suffer negative consequences if things go South.

People here aren't hating your stupid behavior so much as pointing it out.

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You confuse haters with people who find the reasons for you not filling up so senseless, let alone compared to the inconvenience you can cause others.

And you never will, at least as a result of running out of gas, if you abandoned this ridiculous habit.

Liquids: if you presented these reasons for not visiting a gas station to a mental health therapist: too noisy, have to swipe more than once, dirty, you would be on a fast track for a diagnosis. They simple don't comport with any sense of logic. This is not insult, or hate, it's just fact. Said therapist, if competent, would ask you, "don't you encounter dirt on a wet driving day, can't you wear ear plugs, can't you use cash, can't you find another gas station? You're highly dirt adverse and yet you drive of all things a Wrangler?"

These shoulders, when available, are for the sorry driver who took care of their vehicle and yet despite that, encountered bad luck. There not for people who increase the odds of them needed this real estate based on irresponsible driving habits. Shoulders, particularly on freeways, can be dangerous places for you to be for both yourself and other motorists.

Tell you what....I don't want my tax money to go to paying for the cop that gets tied up directing traffic when you get stuck in unanticipated traffic on the freeway and create a secondary tie up running out of the fuel you thought was enough. If you play this game long enough, it sounds like lady luck may eventually turn her back on you.

Instead, I want you to pay. Let's amortize that cost. With benefits, the time of the officer, his rig, $1000 please.

You want to do this stuff on private roads...by all means be my guest.

Liquids...stop...stop this academic discussion about that which should not be. If your practices were beneficial to your vehicle you owe it to other motorists to still not do them.

I don't know and wouldn't tell you if I did--and not because I want to be rude, but because I don't want to enable you.

You know what you need? You need a dangerous intruder on your property so you can call the police, and they don't respond as fast as they can telling you upon arrival that some moron who ran out of gas on route 4 tied them up.

Your behaviors increase the risk that you will tax essential services. I have a problem with that. I have a problem with the cop who G-d forbid gets killed by another motorist when parked behind your sorry ass on the freeway.

Grow up. There are plenty of risky things you can do, if that's your thing, where only you will suffer negative consequences if things go South.

People here aren't hating your stupid behavior so much as pointing it out.
You must have a lot of time on your hands.
Were you to have a romantic partner and you were to visit him/her, they would tell you to step away from the internet and pay attention to them instead.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You must have a lot of time on your hands.
Were you to have a romantic partner and you were to visit him/her, they would tell you to step away from the internet and pay attention to them instead.
So rather than attack my logic you attack my time priority choices: the wife's at work, the kids in college, happy? Regardless, that won't change the worth of my arguments, even if I shunned both.

That you rather cannot, or don't attack the logic I cite for you being gas station adverse as something short of pathological should speak volumes.

You think this is insult. It isn't, nor is it complement. I truly think that you may not realize that your reasons for gas station adversity don't make sense, and may reflect other issues.

Liquids, how is everyone else managing these horrifically dirty, noisy multi credit card swipe "hell holes," that are so terrible that they make increasing the risk of running out of fuel worth it? Switch stations, wear ear plugs, fill up a boatload of Jerry Cans in addition to your tank to decrease your frequency of trips, use cash and miss out on your rewards for the ungodly need to (wait for it) swipe twice. Heck, visit the pump more frequently and you won't need to swipe twice.

Do you understand that your reasons for not getting a fill up don't comport with logic?

Do you understand that I am not here to taunt you? Do you get that we all have obligations to act responsible on the roads we share?

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So rather than attack my logic you attack my time priority choices: the wife's at work, the kids in college, happy? Regardless, that won't change the worth of my arguments, even if I shunned both.

That you rather cannot, or don't attack the logic I cite for you being gas station adverse as something short of pathological should speak volumes.

You think this is insult. It isn't, nor is it complement. I truly think that you may not realize that your reasons for gas station adversity don't make sense, and may reflect other issues.

Liquids, how is everyone else managing these horrifically dirty, noisy multi credit card swipe "hell holes," that are so terrible that they make increasing the risk of running out of fuel worth it? Switch stations, wear ear plugs, fill up a boatload of Jerry Cans in addition to your tank to decrease your frequency of trips, use cash and miss out on your rewards for the ungodly need to (wait for it) swipe twice. Heck, visit the pump more frequently and you won't need to swipe twice.

Do you understand that your reasons for not getting a fill up don't comport with logic?

Do you understand that I am not here to taunt you? Do you get that we all have obligations to act responsible on the roads we share?
You overrate your importance. I had at least a dozen users argue against my habits. I put a couple general responses out there. You, however, chose to suggest I visit a therapist (to which I responded that maybe you need to get laid). Now you're protesting ... I don't even know what ... no time to read the damn thing. Enjoy your time to yourself.

Out, peoples. Done with this thread. Answer to my original question: Nope, none that any of you will admit to.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You overrate your importance. I had at least a dozen users argue against my habits. I put a couple general responses out there. You, however, chose to suggest I visit a therapist (to which I responded that maybe you need to get laid). Now you're protesting ... I don't even know what ... no time to read the damn thing. Enjoy your time to yourself.

Out, peoples. Done with this thread. Answer to my original question: Nope, none that any of you will admit to.
Denial...classic response. Do me, no, better liquids do yourself a favor. Nothing that I or anyone has to know about, book an appointment with a therapist. Explain to them your rationale for not visiting gas stations. See what they say. I truly think you exhibit the classic mental health paradox of not getting professional advice for problems because you don't realize you have them. You will see my remarks as hate: I see them as clinical.

To this point: show of hands..how many people here are adverse to visiting gas stations because they're dirty, noisy, and require you to swipe your credit card twice: but only the latter probably because you fill with so much gas because you fill so infrequently.

So, to rephrase: who doesn't visit gas stations because the first thing that comes to their mind about them is that they are dirty and noisy?

Do you get that you don't get to factor in the need to swipe the credit card twice because it's likely a product of your own choice to not visit the station with reasonable periodicity and run up something less than a monstrous bill when you do fill up? Do you get that this logic isn't any more potent than the adult parent murderer who appeals for the court's mercy because he's an orphan? (Who made him one?)

So, before those screens the pumps got in the last few years you didn't visit stations only because they were dirty, right? (sarcasm)

Gauge your rationale liquids not by what I say, but by the number of people that chime in here to honestly say, "I do!," to my immediately prior question.

If you chain smoked and ate at McDonalds 3 times a day I'd say it's your life; even if your likelihood to have a heart attack behind the wheel increased exponentially as a result of this behavior and you therefore became a more dangerous motorist. (As a pilot, the flight surgeon may ground you for this behavior if reflected in your weight/blood chemistry.) But come on public roads with these gasoline issues and I have every right to raise my issues. You raise your risk (of running out of gas and effecting others) with what reasonable people would conclude is no way commensurate levels of reward (the opportunity to not get gasoline.)

This rationale flies in the face of logic and these are by no means exclusively my conclusions.

Last edited:

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Today I am running a bit edge.

20190115_133029.jpg

Status