Not open for further replies.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I have an interesting (to me) observation on this ...
The empty tank only took 21 gallons on refill, not 21.5. So either it cuts the pump off with a 1/2 gallon still in there or it's not really holding 21.5 (or the station is shorting themselves on fuel sales ... I view this option as least likely). Either way, it's more data about when I *really* need to fill up.
The gas gauge had been on E for some time, but I knew from my second tank that it'll go 40 miles with the digital orange fill indicator stationary just above E, and 80 miles after the low fuel indicator. (I guess I should count on 70 now. :facepalm:)
I wouldn't do it due to wear from the lack of cooling of the pump, but thanks for posting your refill capacity. Actual tank capacity is the subject of much discussion.
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
All right, I knew I'd run into poo-poo-ers, so here goes ...

The whole sediment/debris issue is hogwash. If you CAN run your tank down to empty, that means that it's still supplying gas to the pump until it is empty. The ONLY way it could do that is if the input tube/hole for the pump is at the bottom of the tank. That means it's sucking up sediment every time you start your car in the morning, whether it's full, 1/4 full or almost empty.

Heat in Michigan will never ruin a fuel pump. These Jeeps were designed to work in really hot places like Texas and Arizona, and to continue to work if thousands of people like me don't go to the gas station until they're almost empty.

And I don't know what the last user thinks I recognize as an issue. I never said anything like the comments I quoted here. I'm actively refuting them.

I don't like going to the gas station. It's dirty, they play that f-ing GSTV too loud, and sometimes they make me pay twice because they have a dollar limit for the card on the pump. On the positive side, I drive very economically, usually cruising around 1300-1500 rpms. Hell, I figured out I can idle in 4th and go 26 mph, perfect for residential streets. If you're concerned, don't drive behind me ... my license plate is LIQUIDS.
You talk about the fuel pump in Texas/other hot states. I think you don't understand what the other poster was referencing. The fuel pump uses fuel for cooling and lubrication. Running your tank down to empty will prematurely wear your pump due to lack of cooling.

Starving the engine of fuel causes a lean condition which leads to detonation, which is also bad. That's why you never run a near empty tank on a factory car without baffles when road racing as even the gas sloshing can cause a lean condition which leads to a blown engine.

Safety on the road, when you have no power, you've removed a significant amount of your ability to change your position on the road. I don't see how you can possibly in any rational way refute the fact that this is dangerous. What happens when you loose power in the middle of a highway without shoulders? What if someone else does something erratic near you and you can't accelerate away? Many such scenarios exist, and just because you haven't personally encountered it yet, doesn't mean they don't.

I'm out on this thread, but I do urge you to stop your short-sighted behavior for your own car's mechanical benefit, your safety, and the safety of others around you on the road. Not sure if you're just stirring the pot or humblebragging you are a professional tank-runner-outer, but either way, best wishes and good luck.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
I used to drive my tank down to the fumes in my last Jeep but never ran out of gas. I used to do that in this Jeep until it got cold out. Remote start stops at 1/4 tank and prevents me from being too lazy. Never understood the 1/4 tank setting though. Your Jeep will only idle 15 minutes at most. How much gas can it actually burn at idle to justify killing the feature at 1/4 tank...?

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'll admit I get lazy sometimes and delay getting gas. During the Malibu fires a few months ago I got stuck on the freeway for about 15 miles (all the exits were closed) and then had a hard time finding a gas station in the middle of the night. I got lucky and didn't run out but I learned my lesson. Always be ready; all the capabilities of a Jeep are useless without gas.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm defining a new word here: trollsanity.

It's the situation where you really aren't sure if comments on a bboard are written in trolll like fashion to incite others, or the product of such irrationality that the poster's executive decision making function is compromised.

@liquids if you were right on every notion of running low on gas not causing rig harm, and many of us, present company included don't concur, there would still be @ormandj's well expressed ideas on the safety and inconvenience issues you pose to yourself and others by potentially running out of gas.

Let's take a look at this:

"I don't like going to the gas station. It's dirty."

So by corollary I can only assume that taking the rig out in snow or rain is equally disturbing to you, right, if not, why not?

How is it everyone else manages a task you find so arduous, that is nothing short of your responsibility as a considerate driver? How do you feel when someone unnecessarily takes their all but broken down rig on the highway, surprise surprise breaks down, and causes everyone for miles to be delayed for an hour? It pisses most of us off.

Do you fashion yourself piloting an airplane, not taking much more weight in fuel beyond that required by FAA rules for the distance traveled plus required reserves thinking it will save gas like it would in a device that elevates off the ground?!

Could, if the music is really so annoying to you, you shop at (wait for it) another gas station, wear ear plugs for the duration of the fill?

Could you not pay in cash...or is the $.0375 you make on the credit card that important to you.

These kinds of threads need to stop, either for their troll or insanity content. And while we're at it, mind sharing with me, when the time comes, the name of your next potential owner? You know then one you won't tell about your driving habits? I'd like to have a full disclosure talk with them that you won't.

Let me contrast this with me. I earn no medals but my tanks tend to be filled such that if my kids in college 100 miles away need me, I'm off like a fire truck.

#Thinkofothers

I'd literally do not know if I should feel mad at you for trolling or sad at you for mental infirmity. Are you irrationally frugal: a.k.a. cheap?

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Heat in Michigan will never ruin a fuel pump. These Jeeps were designed to work in really hot places like Texas and Arizona, and to continue to work if thousands of people like me don't go to the gas station until they're almost empty.
You talk about the fuel pump in Texas/other hot states. I think you don't understand what the other poster was referencing. The fuel pump uses fuel for cooling and lubrication. Running your tank down to empty will prematurely wear your pump due to lack of cooling.

Yes, he completely missed what I was trying to tell him.

I've been stranded by a dead fuel pump before. It's not fun to have to drop the fuel tank to replace it, and it's not cheap either. If he keeps running his vehicle out of fuel on purpose, he'll figure that out on his own soon enough.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
A couple of reasons I haven't seen mentioned for keeping it toward F rather than E: increased condensation in the tank when a vehicle sits overnight with less than half a tank; zombie apocalypse preparedness.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
It's kind of a bad habit with me, a result of my goal to stop for gas as few times as I can. I've run out at least half a dozen times over the last 25 years.

Anyway, I ran out at the top of a hill and *almost* coasted to the gas station 2/3 mi. away - came up two blocks short. Of my Jeep's dozen or so full tanks up to then, this one was furthest off from the computer's calculation/estimate of my mileage. Actual was about 0.7 mpg under computed.

That said, I'm happy with my mileage. I average about 22 over a year; 23-ish in summer and 20-ish in winter. JLU with stick.
This may help you deal with your desire to stop for gas as few times as possible.
A tank of gas is a tank of gas. - empty to empty or half to half or 1/4 to 1/4.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Do you really want to have to stop and get gas when an emergency comes up? You should always have a quarter tank for that reason alone.

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Synopsis: Often runs out of fuel. Doesn't like gas stations because they're noisy and dirty. Being out of fuel at a random location in the murder capitol of 2017 is preferred.

Sir, I salute you. Don't listen to these haters. Please document your adventures with a GoPro and share.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Synopsis: Often runs out of fuel. Doesn't like gas stations because they're noisy and dirty. Being out of fuel at a random location in the murder capitol of 2017 is preferred.

Sir, I salute you. Don't listen to these haters. Please document your adventures with a GoPro and share.
Yes, don't listen to these haters...but as @JoeBelt suggests in clearly campy fashion do document them: the ones that get stuck behind you, the traffic and emergency services vehicles you potentially tie up, the one that accidently hits you while you try to cross the highway to fill a Jerry can full of gas.

If you could actually find vehicular benefit to this practice, and I suspect you'll find anything but, the risks you pose to yourself and others would far outweigh it.

New word: vehicular troll

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
That stinks......I'm the opposite, I fill up when I'm at half full......
I'm not sure that's a good idea... I fill up when I'm at half empty. ;)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.