Sponsored

Has anyone else been the victim of unprovoked road rage since having a Jeep

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread..... BUT..... if you haven't seen the movie UNHINGED with Russell Crowe you should see it..... you can find it at Amazon's Prime Movies.. Talk about a movie that is the poster child so to speak in regard to Road Rage.... Crazy vehicle crash scenes and more.....

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Seems large cities like New York, Chicago, Houston and LA all seem to breed this type of behavior.

I have lived in many cities growing up and then travelled for work and it seems people are getting more violent, heck even Penn Station in NY at 5pm is total wreck as I spent many a time in fear of being run over by those angry folks and I would have thought I would have been used to it being born and raised on the East Coast but there is something to be said for small towns and Houston where I am presently at for a few more years is not close and road rage is 7 days a week here.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Before moving to narcs I wrote more traffic tickets for riding in the left lane on the interstate than I did for speeding...It is a pet peeve of mine.
Bravo sir. I wish there were more law enforcement like you out there.
I traveled I-10 out of Houston to east of Lake Charles almost weekly for 8 years until I retired. As anyone traveling often on that highway can tell you, the traffic is terrible more often than not.
Drivers cruising in the left lane doing the same speed at those in the right lane is a big problem.

I've been victim of road rage a few times. No damage done but I've had to deal with idiots on the road before.

Once, I was coming back into downtown south Houston heading home. I was returning from a charity sporting clays shoot/event. I had a trailer behind me with my golf cart in the trailer. I was on a entrance ramp getting onto Hwy 90. It was a two lane entrance ramp with the right lane ending just before jumping onto 90. I was in the process of merging into to the single entrance lane on the ramp when a guy tried to cut me off. But I was able to merge over before he could accomplish his task.

Since he failed in his extreme effort to cut me off, it evidently made him very mad.
Once we were on 90, he pulled all kinds of crap on me for several miles including many brake checks.
I was hoping for an LEO to be somewhere in sight but no luck.

The last thing I want in any situation like this is confrontation. I did my best to keep him from hitting me or me plowing into the back of him when he brake checked me.

I know, should have dialed 911 but I only had about 4 miles to go on 90 then exit on the road that took me home.
I figured it would be over with one way or another before 911 could respond.
Somewhere before I made it to my exit, he gave up and went on his way.

Yes, I was heeled. I've been carrying concealed for many years. Knowing about the idiots around Houston, he was probably heeled too.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Had a pretty intense (to me) incident with a biker on the way back from a backpacking trip in my 2-door.

Can’t say fully unprovoked, but I was cut off so that he could make a last second exit—after 3 days of backpacking and 3 hours into my 5 hour drive back home, I was exhausted and his action scared me, then pissed me off. Instead of just letting it go, I was dumb and flicked him off.

A few miles of him chasing me and trying to punch through my glass and door was a pretty sobering experience for me. At the end of the day, no one got hurt (except maybe his knuckles) and my Jeep kept me safe.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Yes, I was heeled. I've been carrying concealed for many years. Knowing about the idiots around Houston, he was probably heeled too.
"Heeled"? Is that local shorthand for having a concealed weapon on your person?

Edit: Maybe so. The old boy seems to have gone dark on the subject.

Last edited:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I worked for decades as a safety engineer and a couple decades ago there was a study done that claimed you could reduce your odds of being in a fatal collision simply by not being the first, or last, car through an interchange when the light changed….makes sense. There is ALWAYS some jerk who “rushes” the light on one end or the other.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
I haven't gotten my Jeep yet (picking it up tomorrow!!!), but I live in Jersey so all those things you described are normal here anyways, LOL.
Ain’t that the truth ! Just tonight, guy in front of me stops at a red light. I stop behind him. He opens his window and yells something, I can’t hear him, I have Metallica cranking. He pulls forward about a foot, then throws it in reverse. Stops just short of hitting me. I throw the high beams on. He basically stops overreacting, and drives off as the light turns green. I guess he was just commenting on how much he likes my LED headlights. I like them too.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
Never had anything like that happen to me. I live in the greater LA area. Lots of road ragers and armed idiots. I see Teslas and BMW's getting into it all the time.
I drive with my doors off most of the year and the only thing that gets yelled at me is "nice Jeep."
But, I don't speed, I don't cut off people and I don't care. Just treat every driver like they're idiots and stay clear of them.

Sponsored

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We drove through Knoxville with the bus in October. Some asshat cut across lanes to squeeze in front of me and a car stopping even though his lane was clear and empty. I blew the air horns and the guy started waving his hand around trying to brake check me in my 25 ton rig. My wife was reading a book and looked up at the asshat and then over to me and said, "I didn't see a thing" which meant, I should go ahead and plow into him. He was so close to the front end of the bus all I could see is the tattered convertible top of his Sebring. My dash cam was recording it all. Here my wife and I were thinking of buying land in that area. That experience changed our decision to pursue TN as a possible home.

Meanwhile back in AZ, the drivers are completely uneducated and on their phones. I see multiple rear end pileups because someone didn't stop in time and one car after another crashes into each other in the left lane. Phones? Texting? animal crossing 6 lanes? None of it makes sense. Too many people here from CA, FL and NY bring their piss poor driving habits and create a larger cesspool of shit. I haven't had any different experiences with the Jeep than I do any car we drive. Merge on the highway and some dickhead will start doing 100 to catch up and not let you in. I always cut in regardless. They can go fuck themselves. To the OP, sorry you are going through this. Seems people have lost compassion and respect for one another.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We drove through Knoxville with the bus in October. Some asshat cut across lanes to squeeze in front of me and a car stopping even though his lane was clear and empty. I blew the air horns and the guy started waving his hand around trying to brake check me in my 25 ton rig. My wife was reading a book and looked up at the asshat and then over to me and said, "I didn't see a thing" which meant, I should go ahead and plow into him. He was so close to the front end of the bus all I could see is the tattered convertible top of his Sebring. My dash cam was recording it all. Here my wife and I were thinking of buying land in that area. That experience changed our decision to pursue TN as a possible home.

Meanwhile back in AZ, the drivers are completely uneducated and on their phones. I see multiple rear end pileups because someone didn't stop in time and one car after another crashes into each other in the left lane. Phones? Texting? animal crossing 6 lanes? None of it makes sense. Too many people here from CA, FL and NY bring their piss poor driving habits and create a larger cesspool of shit. I haven't had any different experiences with the Jeep than I do any car we drive. Merge on the highway and some dickhead will start doing 100 to catch up and not let you in. I always cut in regardless. They can go fuck themselves. To the OP, sorry you are going through this. Seems people have lost compassion and respect for one another.
In a state of 6.975 million people you let one asshat decide for you that you wouldn't buy land there?

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In a state of 6.975 million people you let one asshat decide for you that you wouldn't buy land there?
It just reminded me of AZ. I'm tired of dealing with overpopulation. Might be time to find land somewhere more quiet. We left NYC 23 years ago. AZ has turned into the same thing. TN seemed very congested too. If one asshat came to light, there are many many more cockroaches like him.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
It just reminded me of AZ. I'm tired of dealing with overpopulation. Might be time to find land somewhere more quiet. We left NYC 23 years ago. AZ has turned into the same thing. TN seemed very congested too. If one asshat came to light, there are many many more cockroaches like him.
We just bought some land and are building outside Cedar City UT. Very pretty up there, St. George area is getting too crowded.
Sponsored