Has anyone else been the victim of unprovoked road rage since having a Jeep

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Was topless and doorless (as it should be :) ) last summer and some a-hole in a diesel truck was acting weird driving next to me. I realized he was looking for a chance to do an exhaust dump into my driver's side door area. I managed to get away from him in time and at the next light he pulls up and grins at me. I just shook my head resisting the urge to go punch him in the face.
A clipped valve stem would be more effective 😳

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Lol no
I drive in SoCal and never deal with anything
Probably has to do with the fact that there’s a wrangler every 15th car
I can mirror this experience! Especially on weekends, loooots of Jeeps.

There are 2 reasons that not a ton of Jeep waving happens in California lol:
1. There's so many of them.
2. The traffic is pretty thick and at times, intense - you're going down a 45mph street with 3 lanes in your direction, it's kinda narrow, there's a lot of cars.. not a lot of time to analyze if there's a wrangler coming in the other direction lol.

Anyway, on the "people from california who moved to x state are jerks"! thing... Most people who leave California do so for economic reasons. If they couldn't afford it here, they might not exactly be the best and brightest. I'd still guess that's a small sample of people.

I think it's silliness though. Honestly, outside of people who screw around with their phone while driving, the worst driving I see is from people out of state every single time. Usually Oregon or Arizona. And I don't hold that against them because they're probably tourists who are lost and confused and taking their GPS instructions too literally.

No big deal. Plus our standards in the US for licenses are really low in some states, so I am not entirely surprised if some people suck at driving.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I haven’t had any issues in my Jeep, but if you want to be on the receiving end of aggression, drive a Prius. It is a whole other experience in that regard. My daughter has the Prius now and says the aggression is getting so bad she’s going to sell the car (she lives outside Phoenix).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Since I got my Jeep a year ago, I've had so many people cut me off, brake check me, pull out in front of me, combination of all those and more. I drive what I consider to be normal. I stay in the right lane, never speed more than 5 or so over, use my turn signal, etc. Just yesterday I was on the interstate, doing 70 (65) in the right lane and a Honda civic cuts over and slams their brakes on. I was tempted to not slow down so much and give them a solid tap with my bumper since I have a dash cam... But this happens on a normal basis since driving a Jeep. And I've talked to so many people who just generally hate Jeeps for no reason at all.
Yep. Just a few weeks ago I was on my way to my nephew's factory to do a Jeep work day in prep for Moab. I was in the left lane of a 55pm divided highway (US 36) going East, about 1/4 mile from making a left turn. I was doing exactly 55mph and talking to my son. There was a little bit of traffic behind me and this guy in a Hundai hatchback came up on my bumper so close I could not see his car in the rearview except for the top of the roof. I just kept a steady speed. He violently jerked to the right between two cars and then cut me off, almost hitting my fender. He then raised his arm out his window and flipped me a nice bird. I gave one flash of my off-road lights as a vague way of telling him to go honk himself. He then slammed on the brakes HARD. I had to brake so hard that I was unable to try and swerve and stopped about a foot from his rear bumper. He came to a dead stop. In a 55mph zone, with plenty of cars behind us swerving every which way and some nearly colliding. He got out and walked toward me, cursing and ranting. I got out because I once had a friend who got pummeled in a similar situation where he sat in his car and the guy beat him through the window, so if there was going to be a fight, I was going to be standing. Besides that, I wanted to be a moving target if he was armed. (I was armed, but never drew or even revealed my weapon.) I scanned him and determined he was not likely armed. He got right up to me as I stepped out, realized I am 6'5 and he was about 5'5, at best. After about 10 F-bombs, he screamed, "Why the f**k were you in the fast lane, dumba**?!?" I said, "Because I was getting ready to turn left!" He then stepped up on me and I said, "I don't think you really want to start sh** with me." He stopped, turned and walked back to his car and drove off. He did have a large dog in the back seat barking at me. I'm glad he or his wife/girlfriend didn't let him out.

What he didn't realize is that I had a dash cam running and caught the whole thing. I filed a police report and shared the video with them. The guy was from Ohio, so they said it was not likely anything would come of it unless he gets pulled over in Indiana, especially in our town. He said if that were to happen, it would be the beginning of a series of very bad days for him with multiple criminal charges.

We'll see if he's dumb enough to come back and get the attention of law enforcement. But as for me, I hope he changes his behavior. I've pretty much forgiven him for it in my mind at this point.

Sponsored

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Dang, sure hate to hear folks are having this much trouble. I live on the other side of the state from the OP & haven't had any issues, so far. Even with us being down the I40 bridge, you would think that road rage would go up, because the extra traffic now on the I55 bridge & causing traffic backups everywhere. But, it hasn't really changed much, fortunately. Things are usually pretty civil & folks will let you over, especially if you signal & are polite. But, like everywhere else, we have our fair share of idiots too.

But, definitely a good idea to have a camera; & on my side of TN, it's always smart to be carrying.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not a jeep thing but a societal issue in general. People are becoming far too self-entitled and it shows in their driving.

An alarming new trend in MD - light turns green and oncoming traffic cut in front of you to make the turn versus waiting. And this is often 1 to 3 cars per light change! This is clearly "I am more important than you" move.

Just today at the Five guys with my son we saw this. Older lady leaving the CVS. Traffic was tight in the parking lot - lined up for the light to change. She was trying to get across the incoming lane to to exit lane but ended up partially blocking it because a couple asshats completely boxed her in - one across her nose in the exit lane; one in the entrance lane right up on her drivers door. She was clearly panicked and afraid to move; which caused the asshats to box her even tighter to try to get past and honk.

I had to get out; block the outbound traffic, let the nose-blocker get past and gone, signal her to help her pull forward and turn and get going, and then let the others go. One of them called me an asshole for stopping them from following the nose-blocker and letting her sit blocking incoming traffic; and lurched forward to imply he was willing to hit me to go. Lucky I'm not so easily intimidated. He then flicked a cigarette at me once she was free and he could move along.

The point is NONE of this needed to happen. A little bit of human kindness and it would have been a non-issue. Without human kindness it quickly became ugly.

If you got kids in the house educate them on this as hopefully the next generation is better.
Is this a sense of self-entitled or just being self-absorbed?

The reason I ask is because I am seeing some new behaviors. For instance, my gym reopened three months ago; it was closed for a year due to COVID. The gym has been steadily getting busier and busier, so I go whenever it’s not too crazy. There are signs plastered everywhere to keep 6-ft apart from each other. Yet some people will go to the weight rack and start doing their workout right there, 6 inches away from the rack, not allowing anyone else to use any of the other weights. I mean, seriously? How self-absorbed does one have to be to do that?

It always seems to be the young members doing it. The old farts like myself are well trained to pick up the weights, clear the area, do the workout somewhere else; when done, go back and re-rack the weights.

If you pay attention, you will notice people drive the same way they walk: move about undecided, stop in the middle of a hallway, an entryway or, worse, and an exit, to stare at their phone blocking everyone else.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Since I got my Jeep a year ago, I've had so many people cut me off, brake check me, pull out in front of me, combination of all those and more. And I've talked to so many people who just generally hate Jeeps for no reason at all.
Maybe it's your license plate?

Are you a Therapist by profession and have a plate like THRAPST ?!?!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's your license plate?

Are you a Therapist by profession and have a plate like THRAPST ?!?!
Ughhh.... Canadian humor... smh ;)

Sponsored

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
Matt, I live about 30 miles from Knoxville and have been driving jeeps around here for about 3 years and have never had an issue like you described. I don't venture into the city too often though. Being retired Navy, and I like to travel alot, I've driven in most major cities around the US and consider E. Tennessee drives less aggressive than most.

Just my $.02.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I haven’t had any issues in my Jeep, but if you want to be on the receiving end of aggression, drive a Prius. It is a whole other experience in that regard. My daughter has the Prius now and says the aggression is getting so bad she’s going to sell the car (she lives outside Phoenix).
How dare she be environmentally responsible.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's awful! Priuses are just really stupidly cheap to own/run/operate. Out here they basically replaced the crown vic. Every single taxi and a lot of generic city and business-owned cars are priuses now. Lots of ubers and gig delivery drivers use them too. In this day and age it's certainly not making a statement to drive one lol. Other than "I really don't care about spending money on cars."

I worked at a company that made rockets for a while, and got a good laugh out of this kinda thing there. There was a group of dudes that drove huge trucks they never used for truck stuff. And our facilities guy, who drove a beat up old Prius that he constantly used to haul stuff. You'd often find it in the parking lot with a sheet of plywood or tools or other junk in the back. That Prius probably hauled more than all the pickup trucks combined, lol.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
No problems here in Mass.
I couldn’t be happier driving a Jeep!
👍

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
The reason I ask is because I am seeing some new behaviors. For instance, my gym reopened three months ago; it was closed for a year due to COVID. The gym has been steadily getting busier and busier, so I go whenever it’s not too crazy. There are signs plastered everywhere to keep 6-ft apart from each other. Yet some people will go to the weight rack and start doing their workout right there, 6 inches away from the rack, not allowing anyone else to use any of the other weights. I mean, seriously? How self-absorbed does one have to be to do that?

It always seems to be the young members doing it. The old farts like myself are well trained to pick up the weights, clear the area, do the workout somewhere else; when done, go back and re-rack the weights.

If you pay attention, you will notice people drive the same way they walk: move about undecided, stop in the middle of a hallway, an entryway or, worse, and an exit, to stare at their phone blocking everyone else.
[/QUOTE]

^^^ lol. Right on!
I used to put self-centered/self-absorbed (usually younger peeps) asshats in their place, but then I recently realized the big picture.
These asshats probably don’t know any better b/c their miserable parent(s), who struggle with depression, bi-polar, manic, divorce, financial struggles, drug/alcohol dependency, you name it (including the numerous medications that put them in a catatonic state) never taught their children any manners/etiquette/respect for elders or authority figures...
This will never change unless parents take parenting seriously.
It‘s a FUBAR world we live in today! I digress.
Sorry for the rant - but TY for allowing me to vent.
Cheers/B
Sponsored