Sponsored

Has anyone done a lift in their garage and couldn’t fit out the door?

johnwpowell

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a story of lifting their Jeep in their garage only to realize it won’t fit out the door when finished? These are the things I worry about.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Air down.....

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
LOL put on 37's and a 2 inch lift at a friends house and had a whole 1/2 - 3/4 inch clearance....totally forgot about the garage door height...but it works...

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I did my 4" lift on my JK under a carport at my condo. Not sure if height was an issue, but I did put the stock wheels/tires back on, pulled out, and put the 37" tire/wheels on outside. That's what I would recommend to anyone.

Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Haha...I had a fear of this at first. I'm on 37's without a lift and may install my lift in the garage. However, if I ended up being too tall to get out of the garage, I'd just put my stock 33's back on and that should lower me down enough to get out...and then cry in the driveway.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anyone have a story of lifting their Jeep in their garage only to realize it won’t fit out the door when finished? These are the things I worry about.
Yep on my JK - glad I still had my tiny OEM wheels/tires and it was a soft top, that was the only way I was getting out.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I love this thread.... Its like my bedroom furniture. We got it in, then did some renovation, and had to remove it through the windows. Classic!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ha, this thread just reminded me of my neighbor across the street over 20 years ago.

He was a real nice guy and was always tinkering and/or demudding his wrangler on his driveway. I remember it as having mildly larger tires and lift than stock, was his daily driver, and he was always talking about the latest adventures. He loved attention and was a bit of a lead foot, especially when there was an audience.

One day, his jeep was gone and replaced with some run of the mill car. He very proudly explained that the jeep was at a shop getting upgraded. Not long after, there's a commotion outside that was him with his jeep. Several neighbors gathered to watch him put on a little show racing back and forth, burnouts, and even climbed the corner column of the brick wall around his front yard. As a kid, it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen in front of me. Turns out he did a v8 swap and it was tall enough for a grown man to have to stretch to get in.

Eventually, he says cya! My next door neighbor, my brother, and myself all pause to watch him because we know he's a lead foot and now has a v8 playing the music. He must've hit at least 30 up his driveway and it never dawned on any of us until it was too late. BLAM! He nailed the header beam of the attached garage so hard that it snapped and the whole front section of roof half imploded. The jeep has enough momentum to almost make it all the way in and was the only thing prevention a full collapse. He was physically fine, but the jeep was a wreck and the damage to the garage caused some structural damage to the exterior wall of the house.

I felt for the poor guy then, but more now as I type this. The house was squared away in a couple weeks, but it took him a couple years to get back to where he was jeep-wise. The tub partially folded because the roll cage that was also racked. Most of the body mounts were ripped out of the chassis causing damage there. The engine survived, but the tranny housing had a massive stress crack and the axles were bowed from the weight of the garage.

He wasn't fully himself until he had the next jeep on the same level. I waited until that point before asking why the old one was still sitting next to the driveway long after he pulled the engine. He said he'd never get rid of it. That it would be his reminder to pay more attention to what he's doing rather than what others are thinking.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My local fire department, at my taxpayer expense of course, bought a rig (at least for a week or so) that wouldn't fit in the firehouse. The rig's dimensions were stated correctly, someone in government just dropped the ball on paying attention to them and the garage's otherwise ample, but not ample enough, height, ....sigh.

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I did this with my first JKU. I had the sun rider flipped back when I lifted it in the garage. Had to air down to get it out.
Sponsored