Sponsored

has anyone cut in real hood vents?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I recently got rid of my Rubicon hood and am looking for some real side vents to cut into a non-Rubicon hood. I just want side vents that let out some heat. So far I found these for a JK and not sure they will fit.
https://www.z8offroad.com/collectio...7-jeep-wrangler-jk-jku-unlimited-rubicon-hood
and these bigger units with a Rubicon script in them...
https://overtread.com/product/hood-grotto-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-18-20/
I am not sure they can be purchased separately but I'm trying to find out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I've come across some videos online. Some say it helps heat dissipate, some say don't do it as it induces hood rattle. I'm undecided if I'll do anything to them yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have yet to find "cut in vents" that I like. I'm now looking into raising the rear hinge side of the hood. kind of like this but not this extreme...
Jeep Wrangler JL has anyone cut in real hood vents? vw raised hood

Being a low pressure area on a Wrangler seems like heat would easily be vented out.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I made a couple of hinge extensions today. 3-1/4" x 2-1/2" 3/16 alum. plate with 4-5/8"holes. Raised the back of the hood 1-1/2" for hot air venting. I found this is the minimum rise I could do with a plate extension. I am now contemplating modifying the hinge by just extending it. That requires adding to the length by welding. By doing so I can get a lesser rise but with the hinge alteration it would be hard to reverse to original.
Jeep Wrangler JL has anyone cut in real hood vents? jl hood vented 1
Jeep Wrangler JL has anyone cut in real hood vents? JL hood vented 2

Note: these hex head bolts did not work due to clearance issues as noted in post #10
Jeep Wrangler JL has anyone cut in real hood vents? jl hood hinge extension 1
Jeep Wrangler JL has anyone cut in real hood vents? jl hood hinge extention 2

Last edited:

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Curious what’s driving this mod...Were you having issues with your Jeep overheating? Or is this a ‘just-in-case’ prep? Or a cosmetic preference, etc?

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Why? Engine temperture spikes during short shut downs on the trail. So I've been playing around with couple small mods. I just recently installed the JT grill screen with larger mesh and have a low mount winch for better air flow also.
update 11/11: after many miles of hot trails, I have not had the temperature rise spikes as before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update: I also removed the hood liner and plastic horse shoe engine cover. On the aluminum extension plates, I replaced the hex head bolts with carriage bolts (button head on cowl side) to clear the plastic cowl vent.
Jeep Wrangler JL has anyone cut in real hood vents? hood hinge extension a

This hood hinge extension for venting has proven to work very well. I was concerned that rain might be an issue but we just had record rain last week and no water intrusion issues.

hood hinge extension b.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
@wibornz did this, and used a specific material that allows heat to escape without also letting cold rain water to flood over the hot motor.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Engine temperture spikes during short shut downs on the trail.
You’ll want the fan running to move the hot air from the engine out the rear gap. Some kind of manual fan-override switch?

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Update: I also removed the hood liner and plastic horse shoe engine cover. On the aluminum extension plates, I replaced the hex head bolts with carriage bolts (button head on cowl side) to clear the plastic cowl vent.
This hood hinge extension for venting has proven to work very well. I was concerned that rain might be an issue but we just had record rain last week and no water intrusion issues.
Any idea how much these 2 changes helped with heat dissipation? How about increase in sound levels from under the hood? Have a JLURD on the way and will be on trails in CO in July. Sound not such a big deal to my old ears though. I wonder if the hood would get too hot without the liner? Is it there for metal/paint protection or just sound deadening? I am tempted to try these 2 things as soon as I get mine.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
has anyone cut in real hood vents?
There are many videos on youtube. Since the hood is aluminum, you will want aluminum hood vents. Right?
Sponsored