Sponsored

Has anyone built a sleeping platform in the back of their JL? looking for some ideas.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the Xprite pad, I've only used it once so far but it's pretty nice. The price is ridiculous, I won't deny that. It's fairly comfortable and thick so well insulated. I carry that, a sleeping bag, collapsible Kelty (1) love couch (love this, seats 2 people and a dog and collapses into itself) when I sleep in the Jeep. My problem with the price is it just doesn't seem like something worth $200. The straps that let you tie it to your seats when it's not in use aren't even attached to it, you basically strap to the child seat lock then put the pads side by side then strap the other side into the same lock. I'd really suggest getting extra straps because mine gets shifted quite a bit when my trunks full. There's only 1 strap per pad and you'll be kinda fighting to center it.

What I do is put this tent on the back (2) and sleep in the Jeep in a sleeping bag on the pad. I have a MrHeater with a fan on it that blows the radiant heat from the tent into the Jeep if needed.

With that said if I did it again and had the skills I'd probably build a drawer system and either put this on it or make my own sleeping pad cutting foam. Right now I need to remove everything from my trunk to use it which is kind of annoying. Cooler, stove, campchef sherpa etc. When you put this down you still have a LOT of vertical height so I may just build a drawer system to deal with that.. but eventually I want a fridge so that will complicate things. Luckily I can fit on on side fine.

I'm still getting accustomed to camping n the Jeep itself but I can actually fit a LOT in it especially when using the rollbar as bungee points. I try to bungee things in to the roof as much as possible so I have less to take out when putting the bed out.

(1) https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Low-Love-Camping-Tapestry-Canyon/dp/B07MN1B5HW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EDNONRA8083S&dchild=1&keywords=kelty+low+loveseat&qid=1578079936&s=automotive&sprefix=kelty+low,automotive,160&sr=1-3

(2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGJEN5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ringo.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
If you're looking for ideas...I am designing a Jeep Camping Sleeping platform designed for an optimum balance between comfort and storage. Check it out if interested. I am open to any tips you might have. Thanks