Sponsored

Has anyone been successful in transferring custom order to someone else?

spenbro

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe & 2021 Grand Cherokee Overland
As the subject asks, has anyone placed a custom order, decided they don't want it, but found a friend who wants to take the order over?

Placed my order in March. Due to RVs and MF rates going up since I since placed my order, the deal is no longer attractive to me. I have a friend who wants to take over my order, which should finally be delivered in September. I called the dealer to ask if the order could be transferred, but they said no. This will be a lease. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
You can just walk away from the order. You aren't legally obligated to buy it. The dealership can sell it to anyone, including your friend. They may not get the same deal, but nothing prevents the dealership from selling it to someone else if you back out. True for sale or lease.

OP
OP

spenbro

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can just walk away from the order. You aren't legally obligated to buy it. The dealership can sell it to anyone, including your friend. They may not get the same deal, but nothing prevents the dealership from selling it to someone else if you back out. True for sale or lease.
I appreciate this and know they can sell it to anyone. I was just hoping my buddy could assume the same deal that I originally got.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
If it was a sale I would say yes. Assuming his credit and income is as good as yours they likely wouldn't care who signs on the dotted line. I'm not familiar with the policies regarding a lease, though.

OP
OP

spenbro

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it was a sale I would say yes. Assuming his credit and income is as good as yours they likely wouldn't care who signs on the dotted line. I'm not familiar with the policies regarding a lease, though.
The dealership is saying that the name cannot change from the build order.

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Realistically the dealer can IF they want to, but they donā€™t have to! If you back out of the deal the dealer can sell or lease the vehicle you ordered to anyone with a new deal that might better work to their favor!
Honestly years ago they would of probably done it, so they had a quick sale lined up vs now in todays current market they donā€™t have to worry about it, itā€™s not going to sit around that long.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
They are not lying, that is true
You will loose price protection etc if sold to a different buyer

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hmm. That's odd. How does your friend feel about legally changing his name for an hour or so? :)

OP
OP

spenbro

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm. That's odd. How does your friend feel about legally changing his name for an hour or so? :)
I know, right!?! I get it though. It seems like my only other option is to co-lease (I trust this person 100%)

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I know, right!?! I get it though. It seems like my only other option is to co-lease (I trust this person 100%)
Oooh. I'd be leery about that. Friends now may not be friends before that lease expires. But it's your call, of course.

Sponsored

Sifko36

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler, 2023 Rubicon
Hereā€™s a curveball to this. My wife and I got married in December. Life has been crazy and she hasnā€™t had the opportunity to get her name changed. We ordered a 23 Rubicon. The order is under her current name. What happens when she finally changes her name and the order and her name no longer match?

_oIIIIIIIo_

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
Hereā€™s a curveball to this. My wife and I got married in December. Life has been crazy and she hasnā€™t had the opportunity to get her name changed. We ordered a 23 Rubicon. The order is under her current name. What happens when she finally changes her name and the order and her name no longer match?
Well, sheā€™s still the same person. Itā€™s not that the ā€œname must matchā€ as much as itā€™s the person who ordered needs to be the one to complete the purchase and take delivery.

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
Just transfer the lease after purchase, that's no big deal. They charge a couple hundred bucks
Sponsored