Sponsored

Has anyone added an aux fuel tank to their JL?

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I know these are not made for great mpg but I am more concerned with range on a tank. If the 21.5 gallon tank was bigger like say the TRX has a 30+ gallon I think that would be awesome!

Has anyone ever looked into options for this? Also I mean a bigger fuel tank as in a switch would then allow you to use that fuel tank and not having to simply carry extra gas in a 10 gallon tank and pour in when needed.

More like a complete solution.

Thanks
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I know these are not made for great mpg but I am more concerned with range on a tank. If the 21.5 gallon tank was bigger like say the TRX has a 30+ gallon I think that would be awesome!

Has anyone ever looked into options for this? Also I mean a bigger fuel tank as in a switch would then allow you to use that fuel tank and not having to simply carry extra gas in a 10 gallon tank and pour in when needed.

Thanks
https://longrangeamerica.com/vehicle/jeep-3g-wrangler-jl-4-door-3-6-2018-2021/

A couple of people have done this, you will have to search the forums for their experiences. I have read reports out of Australia that this tank has issues in high heat environments (fuel transfer from aux to main tank issues, possibly vapor lock issues). I am interested but waiting to see if they work out the heat related issues.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

Thanks
Sure. Long Range America makes a good one.
https://longrangeamerica.com/prod/jwjlpa/

And a review/install:

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
Titan mounts between teh TG and spare with the required HD TG hinge. 12 gal

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
You would think Jeep engineers could somehow find room for a larger fuel tank than the tiny 17.5 gallon unit they grace us with on 2-door JL's...

However, Ford's 'better idea' for the 2-door Bronco was an even smaller 16.9 gallon tank...

Sponsored

Paul19JLR

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You would think Jeep engineers could somehow find room for a larger fuel tank than the tiny 17.5 gallon unit they grace us with on 2-door JL's...

However, Ford's 'better idea' for the 2-door Bronco was an even smaller 16.9 gallon tank...
Yeah the most I have ever squeezed in was just shy of 15.5 gal. That was after the 10 mile range went to low fuel.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
I have the LRA tank in my JLUR
I just got back from a trip from Pa to Bozeman Mt. The LRA tank is awesome! We did experience the vapor lock issue at 97deg and around 4500ft. As soon as the temp cooled off a bit the pump worked fine, I called LRA USA when it happened on Friday and by Monday they had a new pump in the mail that will correct the issue of vapor lock. It’s crazy to be able to go 500-650 miles with out stopping. :rock:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I just got back from a trip from Pa to Bozeman Mt. The LRA tank is awesome! We did experience the vapor lock issue at 97deg and around 4500ft. As soon as the temp cooled off a bit the pump worked fine, I called LRA USA when it happened on Friday and by Monday they had a new pump in the mail that will correct the issue of vapor lock. It’s crazy to be able to go 500-650 miles with out stopping. :rock:
Kirk, can you update us when you get the new pump on what differences there are with the pump itself (if obvious)? Also interested in future info on whether the pump actually solves the high temp issue. Thanks!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

It’s crazy to be able to go 500-650 miles with out stopping. :rock:
With a bit of effort, I can maintain an average fuel mileage of 28.x mpg. With just the 22 gallon factory fuel tank in situ and filled up, my theoretical range to empty is 616 miles. I'll likely never test this calculation, but it's nice to know I needn't be in any hurry to add a $2,100.00 auxiliary fuel tank to the vehicle. ;)

As it is, I do carry a 1.75 gallon insurance policy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone added an aux fuel tank to their JL? RotopaX

Sponsored

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

With a bit of effort, I can maintain an average fuel mileage of 28.x mpg. With just the 22 gallon factory fuel tank in situ and filled up, my theoretical range to empty is 616 miles. I'll likely never test this calculation, but it's nice to know I needn't be in any hurry to add a $2,100.00 auxiliary fuel tank to the vehicle. ;)

I don't know that kind of freaks me out lol What if someone rear ends you hard. You may go out like a die hard villain lol

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't know that kind of freaks me out lol What if someone rear ends you hard. You may go out like a die hard villain lol
I like to keep history alive. 🙃

I'm hardly the only Jeeper to hang RotopaXs on his spare tire. Most of the configs I've seen have two fuel containers, hanging diagonally on either side of the tire.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score

Keep in mind I have a Rubicon with a Ursa Minor on it, air compressor and loaded for camping and I was driving 70-75mph on the interstate, it’s really great to have the extra 17 gallons. We made it from Medora ND to Lancaster, Pa in 26hrs

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Keep in mind I have a Rubicon with a Ursa Minor on it, air compressor and loaded for camping and I was driving 70-75mph on the interstate, it’s really great to have the extra 17 gallons. We made it from Medora ND to Lancaster, Pa in 26hrs
Oh, I figured your Wrangler was being put to work. :) No argument here regarding the importance of carrying extra fuel, and in your position, I'd be tempted to uparmor my JLU in a similar manner.