Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I’m about 8 months into a 5 year lease on my JL sport unlimited and I have absolutely no regrets except wishing I could afford a rubi. Mine is still stock but I plan to at least get a 3” lift 18” wheels and 35” tires this summer. I can’t wait for summer to take the top and doors off! Last summer I only took the top off for a few days before the rain started.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? 74D3869B-5D82-48E2-8349-8A0EBB7AE38E

I’m always happily surprised by how well the stock Jeep does on trails rated difficult. The only issue we’ve encountered is scraping the undercarriage and skid plate but nothing major. We didn’t get stuck in 6+ inch snow going uphill while our friends 2014 JK with 3”lift and big tires had to be dug out so that was a great feeling. I’m still trying to decide between all terrain or mud tires as well as which lift to get.
I honestly don’t think there are any cons about a stock JL if you’re daily driving except maybe the size in some cities. If you don’t mind some road noise and bumps it’s perfect. When you start upgrading it you can make things worse or better on yourself as a daily driver. I mean who doesn’t want to drive a Jeep every day?!
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? ED881055-7398-45DD-878B-4B2CCBC88F48
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
My only regret is whenever someone posts a pic of their Ocean Blue 2-Door and I relive the pain and sorrow of essentially missing out on ordering one by like hours on that fateful day in June 2020. :) yes I'm being intentionally dramatic here...but I really did email to order one on the same day they discontinued the color and the 2020's. It was traumatic but it was not meant to be. But I'm over it...as you can clearly tell.
That is a bummer. It was my only color choice. I had to place a factory order to get the ocean blue. Not a single 2 door on any dealer lot within 500 miles of here. Ordered it right after production stopped for Covid and had to wait 'til the end of August to get it. She's been a real gem - zero issues and perfect fit & finish. I wonder, as she was built within the first three weeks of the restart and they were running at 50% production, if I got a little extra care put into the build....

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I honestly don’t think there are any cons about a stock JL if you’re daily driving except maybe the size in some cities. If you don’t mind some road noise and bumps it’s perfect. When you start upgrading it you can make things worse or better on yourself as a daily driver. I mean who doesn’t want to drive a Jeep every day?!
I do like having options and varieties in my life that is why I believe Sahara will fit into this approach.

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2019
Bought my first Jeep in 2019 (Sport S 2-door punk'n).
I went in with my eyes open (thanks to this forum) and fingers crossed.
Maybe one day stuff will happen that's gonna be a pain but right now i'm enjoying it for what it is.

Reactions: TPS

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Hi Jeep Lovers!

I know this question might sound a bit silly, but I wonder one thing - as A Wrangler is a sort of a "love it or hate it" car, I wonder if you know anybody who bought a Wrangler and regretted it?

I test-drove Wrangler a bit before the order and am still scared and thrilled at the same time. I would like to keep myself being thrilled after the pick-up, not scared.
I'm on my 5th Wrangler. 2002 2-door Sport, 2006 2-door Rubicon, 2011 2-door Rubicon, 2016 2-door Rubicon, and now a 2021 2-door Rubicon. Although there have been many "issues" along the way - no regrets.

Sponsored

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I didn't have any quality issues with my Tacoma; it felt like a vault. But the automatic transmission calibration was atrocious and the 3.5 V6 felt anemic.
this x1000000000. I had a 2018 trd off-road. Truck was great. But that transmission was unbelievable. I only kept it for a year and 10k miles. Thank god it’s long gone.

SavannahAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
U.S. Army soldier (retired)
Speed331 summed it up best in his immediate reply to your question.

I purchased mine new at the dealer on 20 August 2018. I don't regret buying it as I'm an avid hunter and use it on logging trails a lot during hunting season.

I do regret the excessive repair work that thankfully was covered under warranty. I've been to the dealer so many times I'm on a first name basis with most of the staff - sales, parts, service, even lot attendants. Fortunately I'm retired and can afford all the time at the dealership. But with that said, I think I got a "Friday afternoon" or "Monday morning" Wrangler that is not reflective of the vehicle. So my experience should not shy you away. As many others have said, they are great at what they were designed to do.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
My best friend's wife went from numerous lifted 3.5 Ecoboost F150's to a '13 JKU Sport on 37s. The power downgrade was hard to live with for her. The only time she liked it was during the summer when the doors and top was off. After owning it for a little over a year, they sold it, and now she drives a 2020 Black Widow F250 with the Godzilla 7.3.

Over the winter, we all went to Moab and they rented a JLUR on 37s with the 2.0. They liked that a lot more than the JK, but they had already bought the F250. And yeah, I already sent them info on the 392 Wrangler. Doubt they buy another one, I think a truck is a better fit for her.

robd

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
We work hard for our money and a Jeep comes with a hefty price tag, so I can see maybe some buyers remorse after you purchase one. It almost feels like an irresponsible purchase because of all the known issues with them. But to simply put it, they are just FUN. Its ok to not have the safest or most reliable, boring vehicle. Make a budget and go get one! Gotta live a little!

Also the day you get your first wave or you walk out of the grocery store and have 4 other Jeeps parked next to you will make it all worth while. You buy a Jeep, your also buying into a wonderful community.
I had buyers remorse for a short period after I bought my 2020 Willys. It was my first new car purchase after graduation and starting my career and I thought I spent too much money on it. Sometimes even now I still have remorse. But every time I even look at that car I can’t help but grin ear to ear. I agree that we have to live a little and enjoy things in life, and that not every decision needs to make sense or be fully practical. I’ve had mine for about 6 months and already driven over 7k miles, offroaded a good bit, and I’ve loved every second of it.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
well....I regret renting a JLU Sahara last month for a road trip to Tahoe.....cuz I got bit by the Jeep bug. lol

Almost exactly one month later, my Explorer just drove off with its new owner tonight and I sent my final build on my JLUR into Kent at Peterson in Idaho.

I started with searching the Willys, but quickly realized I should probably stretch the budget and get the Rubi so I wouldn't have any regrets. Considering the deal I got by going through Kent I'm so glad I did....

Thank god for great forums like this place to research and gather info and find where to get the best deals!!!

I've been a sports car guy my whole life and still am, but I can't wait to finally find out what the Jeep life is all about :jk:

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I've driven a jeep the better part of 20 years, mostly as a daily driver, but lots of off-roading too. I have met many people who hated riding in it, including my kids until the first time we went mudding with the top down. I have never once regretted owning a jeep. And they have never let me down. Twice only I have needed to have them towed. Once to a scrap yard (tree at 50mph) and once to the body shop (10-point buck at 50mph). I can't say that about some expensive German vehicles I have owned. And I can say that I have never met anyone else who regretted owning a jeep - only those who regretted selling the jeep they had.

Regrets while owning a jeep:
1. That I left the top down when I shouldn't have.
2. That I left the top up when I shouldn't have
3. That I went that little bit too far and got stuck where a tow truck couldn't get to.
4. That I turned back when I could have kept going.
5. That moment of inattention leading into the tree
6. that moment of inattention that missed the deer leaping out in front of me.
7. Selling all the other jeeps I eventually sold for one reason or another.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
I've driven a jeep the better part of 20 years, mostly as a daily driver, but lots of off-roading too. I have met many people who hated riding in it, including my kids until the first time we went mudding with the top down. I have never once regretted owning a jeep. And they have never let me down. Twice only I have needed to have them towed. Once to a scrap yard (tree at 50mph) and once to the body shop (10-point buck at 50mph). I can't say that about some expensive German vehicles I have owned. And I can say that I have never met anyone else who regretted owning a jeep - only those who regretted selling the jeep they had.

Regrets while owning a jeep:
1. That I left the top down when I shouldn't have.
2. That I left the top up when I shouldn't have
3. That I went that little bit too far and got stuck where a tow truck couldn't get to.
4. That I turned back when I could have kept going.
5. That moment of inattention leading into the tree
6. that moment of inattention that missed the deer leaping out in front of me.
7. Selling all the other jeeps I eventually sold for one reason or another.
#4 would be #1 for me. Definitely #4

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
As an official old fart, I've had lots of Jeeps, Trucks, Sporty Cars. Don't regret for a moment my 18 JLUR dd. My wife, that always worshipped at the German alter just traded for a 21 JL Sport for her dd. Currently looking for a new to me 48 CJ2A. Got one?

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Had a bunch and loved them all ... love the current one the most
Sponsored