Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

grandpaq

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP Sahara Unlimited
I know many people who love stock Wranglers for their primary vehicle. They either love them and keep them or trade it in after 1 or 2-years because they get frustrated it does not drive and handle like a luxury/sport SUV. It is a fairly polar response. You either end up loving it or hating it. It would not be my choice as a commuter vehicle.
I had years of BMWs here in Miami. Every time I drove to work and it rained, the roads would flood. My low profile convertible would have to wait in the one out of 4 lanes that was driveable.

I used to say, someday I am going to get a Jeep. That day came - I bought a 2013 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and drove it everyday for 7 years and 60,000 miles. Never off road.

Then in having the Jeep checked before a major road trip, the dealer discovered a transmission problem that might have been a major expense. After 5 hours at the dealer and watching rain pour down, I took a test drive in the 2021 version of the same car. Never looked back. Drove the new car home. No regrets.
It's my everyday driver. When the roads flood I laugh, and move on. I don't like being a victim. In a Jeep you are not.
Sponsored

ClaviusBase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yahhh, Iā€™ve always been a sports/muscle car guy and last year decided I wanted to try something different. I love the look of the Jeep and I like sitting up higher, but ultimately the drive quality is not for me. Itā€™s not terrible but thereā€™s enough little thins that irritate me every time I drive it.

Iā€™m trading it back in after a few months only and going back to a challenger. Iā€™ll lose money but oh well, Iā€™ll be happy.

Reactions: TPS
OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
Yahhh, Iā€™ve always been a sports/muscle car guy and last year decided I wanted to try something different. I love the look of the Jeep and I like sitting up higher, but ultimately the drive quality is not for me. Itā€™s not terrible but thereā€™s enough little thins that irritate me every time I drive it.

Iā€™m trading it back in after a few months only and going back to a challenger. Iā€™ll lose money but oh well, Iā€™ll be happy.
We got something in common - I am also a Muscle Car enthusiast, not having Challenger due to size issues. I went to get Challenger once but discovered I would not be able to get out of it in my own garage. The door is just too long. I am happy with My GT Mustang 2008, which drives like a wagon train but I like it.

I will treat my coming Shara as a cor for adventures, mainly with my family and bikes. For long commutes, I will stick to Insignia but I guess during the first months I may try to take Sahara for my business trips.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned several Dodge Challenger 392s. They were great fun. But I had to drive well in excess of the speed limit to enjoy them, which invariable got me in trouble with the police.

I traded my 4,500-lb 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack for this 2,300-lb 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.

The beauty of this car is that it is as much fun at 25 MPH as it is at 80 MPH. You feel a lot more connected to the road, and with the top down you are more aware of your surrounding. It is so lightweight, it handles amazingly...and the exhaust sound is a riot!
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? C7500951-CAC6-483A-82AF-E7E209C05112

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? C9CC49C8-7393-43FA-94F0-57F41202F066

ClaviusBase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
We got something in common - I am also a Muscle Car enthusiast, not having Challenger due to size issues. I went to get Challenger once but discovered I would not be able to get out of it in my own garage. The door is just too long. I am happy with My GT Mustang 2008, which drives like a wagon train but I like it.

I will treat my coming Shara as a cor for adventures, mainly with my family and bikes. For long commutes, I will stick to Insignia but I guess during the first months I may try to take Sahara for my business trips.
thatā€™s a good set up. If I could afford both, Iā€™d love to...but itā€™s one or the other for me, so Iā€™ve gotta go back to the challenger.

Reactions: TPS

Sponsored

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I owned several Dodge Challenger 392s. They were great fun. But I had to drive well in excess of the speed limit to enjoy them, which invariable got me in trouble with the police.

I traded my 4,500-lb 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack for this 2,300-lb 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.

The beauty of this car is that it is as much fun at 25 MPH as it is at 80 MPH. You feel a lot more connected to the road, and with the top down you are more aware of your surrounding. It is so lightweight, it handles amazingly...and the exhaust sound is a riot!
C7500951-CAC6-483A-82AF-E7E209C05112.jpeg
Every car enthusiast must buy a topless car. I used to drive such beauty for 3 years. It was fun to drive, especially in the helmet. I always took the steering wheel with me from any parking lot, so it was a bit sensational.

Since traffic regulations got stricter and for speeding more than 50km/h over the city limits a driving license is confiscated for 3 months I sold it with no regrets.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? Lotus

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
no regrets what so ever on the wrangler or in jeep in general. i had a 07 grand cherokee. i decided to downside and get a 2 door wrangler base model sport. and its my daily driver and road tripper. i love it and dont miss any of the bells and whistles.

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
no regrets what so ever on the wrangler or in jeep in general. i had a 07 grand cherokee. i decided to downside and get a 2 door wrangler base model sport. and its my daily driver and road tripper. i love it and dont miss any of the bells and whistles.
Switching from JGC to Wrangler Sport seems adventurous and brave. I tried JGC WJ and WK. They did not suit me as the only DD.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Switching from JGC to Wrangler Sport seems adventurous and brave. I tried JGC WJ and WK. They did not suit me as the only DD.
yeah. a coupke of buddies of mine thought i was nuts and that i was b.s.ing. long behold i showed up in a wrangler. tbh, the gc was a nice jeep. but i'm at the point that i dont want the bells and whistles. dont want to pay for shit that goes haywired. i rather have something plain and simple. and not costing upward of $50k+. i even looked into going way back to a cj model or a truck from 1986 or older. just to have a simple , non tech vehicle.

JeepHead

First Name
Amarinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I love my Wrangler!

It is my DD and our only ā€œpracticalā€ vehicle (hubby drives a Boxster). I run it top down and doors off spring through fall. He used to have a JKUR and I drove Miatas. Funny how we switched :).

That said, this is my second JL because my first one was bought back for steering issues. When people with bad steering say it sucks, theyā€˜re not kidding.

This one is amazing and solid. I love it.

A note about the steering for anyone reading: the ā€˜18ā€“ā€˜20 JLs had an aluminum steering box. There is a TSB to replace it. Do it. Rubicons have too low caster, even stock. Longer LCAs are absolutely worth it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? Lotus
What steering issues did you have? Did you experience the wobble issues?

Sponsored

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Overland Unlimited.
Early days for me.
My Wrangler is my daily driver. I love it.
It's odd people say it's not great as a daily driver, but I find it very comfortable on pretty much any road as long as it's being driven sensibly - i.e. not speeding or tearing around corners. Cruising along at 60-70 on the motorway it's more comfortable than even the Volvo XC90 I had. Nosier, but then with the absolutely marvellous sound system I can't tell. MPG is slightly better than the Volvo too. In fact, I would say it's remarkably comfortable - seats are superb.
It's an experience driving the Wrangler - whether it's driving to the shops or a little longer. I can't wait to take it on its first longer trip up to Scotland.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
What steering issues did you have? Did you experience the wobble issues?
Death wobble was the only issue I didnā€™t have :LOL:.

My JL had wandering and loose steering and while four dealer visits and a few trips to Cloakworks helped, we still didnā€™t take it anywhere because it took too much effort to keep the thing in a straight line (especially on a curvy mountain highway).

JeepHead

First Name
Amarinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Death wobble was the only issue I didnā€™t have :LOL:.

My JL had wandering and loose steering and while four dealer visits and a few trips to Cloakworks helped, we still didnā€™t take it anywhere because it took too much effort to keep the thing in a straight line (especially on a curvy mountain highway).
I am just worried about getting the death wobble issues on my 2021 JLUR that I just custom ordered. Hope they did something for 2021 models more than just a ā€˜band-aidā€™ fix of adding steering dampeners.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I am just worried about getting the death wobble issues on my 2021 JLUR that I just custom ordered. Hope they did something for 2021 models more than just a ā€˜band-aidā€™ fix of adding steering dampeners.
2021 models have the new steering box, which is a huge improvement.

I noticed on both my Rubicons is that the caster was too low from the factory. (For some inexplicable reason, the Rubicons have the same LCAs as the other models, even though they are higher.)

Both were 4.7*. I put the Mopar lift LCAs on my ā€˜19. The additional 1/4ā€œ brought the caster to 6.0*, which helped the horrible wandering.

My ā€˜20 had substantially better steering, but still felt a little flighty at freeway speeds. I put Metal Cloak adjustable LCAs on and the caster is around 7* and that really made a big difference in the freeway. My husband hated driving my ā€˜19 (he had a modded JKUR so gets Jeeps) but loves my ā€˜20.

I hope you love your new Jeep as much as I love mine.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Every car is basic transportation,
Every truck is basically a work tool,
Every Wrangler is essentially a memorable Story...

The only regret in Life is not having a memorable Story šŸ¤™
Sponsored

Last edited: