Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Hi Jeep Lovers!

I know this question might sound a bit silly, but I wonder one thing - as A Wrangler is a sort of a "love it or hate it" car, I wonder if you know anybody who bought a Wrangler and regretted it?

I test-drove Wrangler a bit before the order and am still scared and thrilled at the same time. I would like to keep myself being thrilled after the pick-up, not scared.
ummm yeah actually do have slight regrets.. but the regret is spending 51k on a sahara and not getting the rubicon with a little less options for same price... dum azz rookie mistake ... wont happen again :) Other than that hells no zero regrets just not sure why it took me almost 30 years of driving to finally get a wrangler
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: TPS

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
For the three years I owned my TJ, yes. I've mentioned before it spent at least two days in the shop every month it was in warranty and when the warranty expired, that was my sign to get rid of it and move on to something else.

I keep considering JLs for the future but am waiting until FCA figures out how to keep the rear window defroster wiring attached, among other things.

JeepHead

First Name
Amarinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I am probably going a little off-topic here. I custom ordered a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited few months back and recently discovered Jeep’s infamous issue of ’Death Wobble’. It has really made me cynical about owning a Jeep Wrangler now. I have always loved Jeep Wranglers but who wants an unreliable vehicle that can go uncontrollably wobbly on a highway at high speed especially with family on-board. I won’t be doing any suspension and lift modifications on it though and would just keep everything stock. Has anyone had any experience regarding this problem. I would really appreciate any help to understand this better.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am probably going a little off-topic here. I custom ordered a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited few months back and recently discovered Jeep’s infamous issue of ’Death Wobble’. It has really made me cynical about owning a Jeep Wrangler now. I have always loved Jeep Wranglers but who wants an unreliable vehicle that can go uncontrollably wobbly on a highway at high speed especially with family on-board. I won’t be doing any suspension and lift modifications on it though and would just keep everything stock. Has anyone had any experience regarding this problem. I would really appreciate any help to understand this better.
Well, Jeeps and death wobble are like rain and getting wet...or drinking and getting drunk... :LOL:

Seriously, though, there are two separate things going on here:
  1. Since launch JL has suffered of a well-documented case described as vague or wandering steering feel, which has been traced back to a weak steering box, and should have been remedied for 2021.
  2. Death wobble is a completely separate issue and very rare on a brand new Jeep, or any well-maintained solid axle vehicle. People unfamiliar with Death Wobble refer to JL’s vague steering as Death Wobble but that is incorrect. Death wobble is a serious condition that develops over time on poorly modified, poorly maintain Jeeps.

There’s almost-zero chance that your new Jeep will suffer from Death Wobble off the factory, or at any time for that matter, if you do good quality modifications and maintain your Jeep properly.

Doing a 3.5-inch lift and slapping 37-inch tires without beefing up everything else is a sure way to develop death wobble over time.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I regretted buying my 2011 JKU sport because it was silver and I never did like the lack of color. Other than that, nope.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Yes, i regretted buying my first jk with that terrible engine ... sold it. Forgot i regretted it a few years later and bought another one. Regretted not waiting for the JL and for getting a 4dr so sold it and waited. Got my 2dr JL with turbo and finally dont regret any part of that.

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I regretted buying my 2011 JKU sport because it was silver and I never did like the lack of color. Other than that, nope.
The only thing I might be missing is the color of the leather seats. I would have liked to set up my Sahara from scratch, but then I would have wait till the summer for delivery. I will have granite crystal with a black leather interior. Bright leather is not available at all, and I wanted dark brown seats.

The funny thing is that Wranglers make the whole Jeep business profitable in Poland. The rest of Jeeps sells badly. I have two dealerships in my home city but ordered my Sahara 80 miles from home.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I have a 2020 sport s 2 door. I have never had a steering issue. It is my daily driver and hit 75 - 80 on the freeway regularly and it's rock solid. I've driven on several 500+ mile trips with no complaints. Those issues are mostly a thing of the past for stock jeeps.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I regret selling my 07' JK in 2104

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My only regret was buying a new one, this POS is not worth 43thousand dollars to me. If I could do it again I would have bought a used YJ dumped 10 grand into it to get it trail ready and be done with it. Live and learn I guess!

JeepHead

First Name
Amarinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Well, Jeeps and death wobble are like rain and getting wet...or drinking and getting drunk... :LOL:

Seriously, though, there are two separate things going on here:
  1. Since launch JL has suffered of a well-documented case described as vague or wandering steering feel, which has been traced back to a weak steering box, and should have been remedied for 2021.
  2. Death wobble is a completely separate issue and very rare on a brand new Jeep, or any well-maintained solid axle vehicle. People unfamiliar with Death Wobble refer to JL’s vague steering as Death Wobble but that is incorrect. Death wobble is a serious condition that develops over time on poorly modified, poorly maintain Jeeps.

There’s almost-zero chance that your new Jeep will suffer from Death Wobble off the factory, or at any time for that matter, if you do good quality modifications and maintain your Jeep properly.

Doing a 3.5-inch lift and slapping 37-inch tires without beefing up everything else is a sure way to develop death wobble over time.
Thank you for your help and the explanation. It's quite a relief. I feel better now. It's just that there are pretty scary videos and articles about the wobble issue out on the internet.

JeepHead

First Name
Amarinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I have a 2020 sport s 2 door. I have never had a steering issue. It is my daily driver and hit 75 - 80 on the freeway regularly and it's rock solid. I've driven on several 500+ mile trips with no complaints. Those issues are mostly a thing of the past for stock jeeps.
Thanks for your response. Good to know that !!

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR