Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

Cal3san

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2118 3.6L Sport S
I've had my "new to me" 2118 JL 2dr since last day of last year. Did have a "hick up" about 300 miles in but local dealer fixed it in no time at all. The No. 3 coil was bad and the dealer didn't hesitate to fix it on his dime.

Other than above incident, the Jeep has been just fine. Definitely better than my first Jeep, a 1987 Suzuki Samauri. I drove it to death in CA, the Philippines, and AZ mountains not to discount a couple of CA to NC and return trips. Logged some like 130K miles and 3 sets of tires on it before selling it in 1991.

Regrets - only that I didn't buy the Jeep sooner. And, I still have my Goldwing 1800 trike.
Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Few people regret buying one. Most people regret selling them.
That's me. I love my JL, but would have been better off just keeping my 2014 JK and building on that.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I have had a jeep since the 90s. I do love a 2 door wrangler. Still have my 02 TJ but it is not in the best of shape. Got a 2020 Rubicon and by far it is the most powerful and capable jeep yet.

That said, yes I do kind of regret it. I have multiple vehicles. I really don't have the time for all the mods. It is kind of a money pit too as there is always something cooler for it. I am looking to trade it in on a Ram. I am a big guy and like the room a full size truck affords me.

I got the Rubicon for the lockers and getting up the steep mountain roads to my home in the winter. I think a truck will do fine with a LSD rear. The other 99.9% of the time it will be more comfortable. If it is too bad for it, I can just stay home.

If I want no doors and wind in my face, I have two motorcycles.

Sponsored

Landu992001

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I love it. Followed a Toyota into the snow after the first week of owning it. He drove out with snow chains and I drove out in 4 high. Love the diesel.

The only thing I regret is not knowing anything about rock chips on the hinges. 3300 miles and all jacked up.

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
From what I have read, some of you compared Wrangler to trucks. In Europe, and in Poland in particular, trucks are less popular and useful.

I tried Ford Raptor once, but Polish roads and parking places are just too small. That is why I bought Mustang, not Challenger. Challenger is too wide for many places as a family car.

Until 2018 the Polish law required that parking place’s width was 230 cm, making many parking lots unusable and inaccessible. Now low requires 250, but it changes nothing in already built buildings. That is why I can’t buy Gladiator, which is just too long for many parking lots.

living in America I would not look at Wrangler if I had a Raptor in front of my house. Or maybe I would as a fun car?

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
That's me. I love my JL, but would have been better off just keeping my 2014 JK and building on that.
I know what you mean. The more I read in this forum, the more I think I might be better off putting lockers in my TJ. I could pick my own sensors instead of relying on Dana to spec the right one.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blanket statements regarding axle ratio to tire size are pointless out of context. Early jk’s with an auto and 4.10’s had an 11.64 total ratio in 1st gear. They would need 6.78 axle gears to match the 19.27 ratio of a jl with an 8 speed, 4.10’s and 4.7 1st gear. The early jk is a dog on 27’s. Later jk’s were better, with a 14.71 1st gear drive ratio but would still need 5.38’s just to equal the jl With stock 4.10’s. The 8 speed transmission is a game changer with that 4.7 1st gear. As far as a money pit of breakage at 50k, we will see. We are only at 30k thus far but 100% trouble free so far. As far as useful for wheeling, add in the 4-1 transfer case and an early jk with an auto would need 10 to 1 axle gears to have the same crawl ratio.
I figure if the diesel with the 3.73 gears and 440 ft-lbs of torque up at 1,500 rpms can turn 37s then the 470ft-lbs of torque at 0 rpm on the 4xE can spin those 37s with the 4.10. Regen braking will also slow it down without a brake upgrade too.

Sponsored

fredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
My first Jeep was a Cherokee 4.0 back in the 90’s which ran flawlessly had decent gas mileage and was somewhat comfortable. Put 150k miles on with no major issues. In 2005 bought a new TJ with the 2.5 liter and 6 speed MT. Did a mild 3” lift with some 35” tires and it drive like a dog on the highway. Couldn’t use 6th gear unless I was going downhill with a tailwind. But I didn’t buy it as a daily driver, I bought it as a beach buggy and I never got stuck. (But I was able to pull a lot of other vehicles out that did get stuck). After 13 years and 40k miles I sold it for $3,500 less than I paid for it brand new. Last year I picked up a JLU Sport Diesel as a second car (and to tow behind a motorhome). Now has 3,800 miles with no problems whatsoever, and my last trip of around 300 miles I got over 30 miles per gallon on fuel economy. So for me, (so far) I have no regrets for any of the Jeep’s I’ve owned, as each Jeep has worked out perfectly for the job I purchased it for and has had great resale value once I was done using it.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great read. Yes, by cars we manifest who we really are.
"...what I expected was something like holding a storm window in front of my face while sitting in an office chair being towed on a rope behind a semi." I'm dying!

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep...I got a Tacoma Off road and hate it.....Its going in a few weeks when the JL Rubicon gets here. The toyota had mechanical issues, crappy dealer service, and left me stranded on several occasions.....never again for any Toyota product.
Same here. Broke my Toyota pickup. Jeep just keeps going.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco is not going to be sold in Poland or even in Europe. As I like previous gen Mustang, I can't say this about Bronco.
From what I've seen, they're never going to actually sell a Bronco in the US either. 😁 I finally cancelled my reservation and ordered another Jeep.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been at the body shop for three months for the corrosion issue. At this point I am pretty pissed with mine
What is it doing at the body shop for THREE months? Are they garaging it for you...?
Sponsored