Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
Hi Jeep Lovers!

I know this question might sound a bit silly, but I wonder one thing - as A Wrangler is a sort of a "love it or hate it" car, I wonder if you know anybody who bought a Wrangler and regretted it?

I test-drove Wrangler a bit before the order and am still scared and thrilled at the same time. I would like to keep myself being thrilled after the pick-up, not scared.
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
It's more of a "love it / don't get it" vehicle. It's purpose built for off roading with refinement layered over the top. It is unapologetic about what it is, and it always feels like - too me at least - those who hate it, don't really understand it.
For me, it's like a shiny new toy every time I see it. I've had several great cars in my life, but there is just something different about a Wrangler.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? 20200906_103818

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
It's more of a "love it / don't get it" vehicle. It's purpose built for off roading with refinement layered over the top. It is unapologetic about what it is, and it always feels like - too me at least - those who hate it, don't really understand it.
For me, it's like a shiny new toy every time I see it. I've had several great cars in my life, but there is just something different about a Wrangler.
20200906_103818.jpg
I absolutely agree that there are "CARS" and cars. I bought Mustang GT 2008, and I love it. Whenever I open my garage and see it, I always grin - even when I am writing this post, thinking about the Mustang, I started grinning. I hope the same will happen with my Wrangler.
My wife would like to kill me for the third car in the garage, but fortunately, we have a prenup, so I do not have to negotiate. anything ;)

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Tons of people regret it. They buy one cause it looks cool. Put the obligatory lift, 20” wheels, winch and angry grill on it. Then they realize it doesn't drive like their BMW. Get on the forums and facebook pages and bitch and complain about it, get butt hurt and threaten to buy a Bronco. Then again equally tons of people love their jeep with all its issues or non at all and constant money siphon for parts.

You either like it or you dont. No shame in either.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I will be the anomaly. Regret it / hate it - kind of. It has not been a good experience.

I got a really bad 2018 with the steering issues. Took almost 2 years to get right. If it was my daily driver I would sell it. Because I am fortunate enough to have it as my weekend fun / off road vehicle, she is staying.

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Not one regret! Traded my 2018 JLU for a 2021 JLU Willys- can’t drive anything else. I think you need understand and appreciate that it’s not a luxury SUV so it won’t drive like one. Then you can appreciate that it will take you anywhere you want to go and will be the most fun vehicle you’ll ever own! SUV, convertible, and adventure all in one package. Mine is also my daily driver and I actually enjoy driving it! ✌🏼

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? FAA6AE63-6A44-4B2B-9DDE-6CA71557EB8D

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler? 58CFA3D5-34DA-47E4-80CA-C1C8E513000E

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I like Wranglers specifically for wheeling. I would never consider one for a primary daily use vehicle. I don’t regret buying Wranglers in the past, but I DO REGRET MODIFYING IT. Once you get into heavy suspension modifications, re-gearing ect. it starts a never-ending domino effect of ancillary parts failure and replacement, from which you will NEVER recover any of the money spent on labor and aftermarket parts.
I am not going to modify it. There are many reasons. In Poland there is a culture of mud and we miss real rocks. As I have nothing against dirt roads, I do not understand the idea of going through deep puddles of mud in a car.

Lifting the Wrangler just for pure bad look is another thing I am not willing to do. Here in Poland (the whole EU) it is illegal to have metal bumpers. Protruding tires are also problematic. I know how hard it is to get a proper vehicle inspection for my Mustang (real PITA). I needed to change blinkers from red to orange, change headlamps to asimetric and installed fog red light. Fortunately, I did not spoiled the look.

So, I am going to keep Sahara fairly stock.

mtu1293

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2016 WK2 75th addt, 2014 Ram 2500, 46 CJ2A, 60s CJ6
I regret buying the gas engine, should have went with the diesel. My JLUR on 35s is getting worse gas mileage than my JKU on 35s with 4.56 gears. lol - I do get in arguments with mine lately, mainly on very wind days.

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I know many people who love stock Wranglers for their primary vehicle. They either love them and keep them or trade it in after 1 or 2-years because they get frustrated it does not drive and handle like a luxury/sport SUV. It is a fairly polar response. You either end up loving it or hating it. It would not be my choice as a commuter vehicle.
I am keeping my Opel Insignia OPC for hi-ways/commute, which in the USA equals to Buick Regal GS. I guess having Wrangler as the only car would be more problematic.

The 1st day after the pick-up I am taking my family for a longer trip (400 miles) and that will be a good test for them how much they are going to miss Buick Regal's comfort. To their surprise I am going to avoid hi-ways and will stick to ordinary roads. The road trip will be longer for sure. :CWL:

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I regret only waiting a year to buy the newest model. Jeep clearly hasn’t demonstrated the ability to work out the bugs in model years 18-21, so yeah, I’m pissed as hell over the lack of refinement of an American icon.
It’s not all bad news, though. It’s still mostly fun to drive with the top down, and I never worrying about getting stuck or popping a curb or whether that icy, dirt-road mud puddle is too deep. It’s a love-hate relationship at times, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Last week ordered a base Willys two door, manual V-6, and softop. A/C being the only option. Trying to keep it as simple as possible. After reading some of the threads regarding steering, ESS, clutches, etc.... I must admit I am somewhat skeptical at this point. I am both excited, and nervous. It is a good thing my dealer didn't ask for any money down on the order. I suppose I could always cancel if I get scared enough....

I was able to drive a rented Sahara a few 100 miles and I was satisfied with the way it drove.

My expectations are not a soccer mom crossover, a luxury boat, or a sports car. I want a somewhat raw off roader. I don't do much off roading (only trails - no rocks), but I don't like a lot of extra electronic gadgets on my vehicles. Felt like the Jeep would be a simple vehicle compared to everything else out there.....

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have.

I owned a 2018 JKUR Recon: it was grossly overpriced, highly overrated, poorly built, drove like crap, and had the dealer service to match.

Following a heated argument with the Service Manager, who after three dealer visits still refused to fix a squeaky driver seat and a loud rattle coming from the A-pillar, I drove across the street to the Toyota dealer and dumped that Rubicon’s ass, with only 8,000 miles, in exchange for a new Tacoma TRD Offroad.

After six months I missed owning a Wrangler so much I sold the Tacoma and bought my current JL Sahara.

Thankfully, this JL has been trouble free. I just wish I could block off my mind ever buying that f&#$ing JKUR Recon.

I was back at my local Jeep dealer recently; I had stopped going there for 2 years. Was glad to find out they finally fired that Manager’s ass...after pissing off countless other customers —and dealer staff.
Sponsored

Last edited: