Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

Iamjeepy6

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLU 80th Ann.
I am on my fifth Wrangler in 25 years and my wife is on her first.
Only people that I know of that regret buying one are those that expect it to be like a regular car. It's not, its a Jeep.
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Well, Jeeps and death wobble are like rain and getting wet...or drinking and getting drunk... :LOL:

Seriously, though, there are two separate things going on here:
  1. Since launch JL has suffered of a well-documented case described as vague or wandering steering feel, which has been traced back to a weak steering box, and should have been remedied for 2021.
  2. Death wobble is a completely separate issue and very rare on a brand new Jeep, or any well-maintained solid axle vehicle. People unfamiliar with Death Wobble refer to JL’s vague steering as Death Wobble but that is incorrect. Death wobble is a serious condition that develops over time on poorly modified, poorly maintain Jeeps.

There’s almost-zero chance that your new Jeep will suffer from Death Wobble off the factory, or at any time for that matter, if you do good quality modifications and maintain your Jeep properly.

Doing a 3.5-inch lift and slapping 37-inch tires without beefing up everything else is a sure way to develop death wobble over time.
That’s just not true. DW has happened on brand new Jeeps straight from the factory. I know people with stock JL’s with low miles and DW. It doesn’t take much to make it happen.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I know such protection works for soft tops. How about hard top? I chose a hard top for many reasons, one of them being security (weather also - 1/2 of a year in Poland is wet).
This box works for hard tops, too. We had a similar box on our JK with a hard top and we used it for photography equipment.

I love your sig line. That was me at 16 when I got an MGB as my first car :rock:.

Reactions: TPS

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Thank you for your help and the explanation. It's quite a relief. I feel better now. It's just that there are pretty scary videos and articles about the wobble issue out on the internet.
Unfortunately DW can easily happen on a perfectly stock low mileage Jeep that’s never seen the dirt. I’ve seen it many times so I’m going to disagree with that person’s comment. DW still plagues the Wrangler.

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not one regret in my life. Least of all my choice of vehicle(s).

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
On my 3rd Wrangler. I buy, i get pissed about something stupid (or decide a truck is more my scene), I sell, I regret, I buy a wrangler. Rinse and repeat.

Owning a wrangler is like being a heroin addict. Once you have had it, you will always want it...and FCA knows it. There is absolutely nothing like the first spring ride with the top and/or doors off. Its crazy because you know it’s an unreliable FCA time bomb, but you just don’t care.

I saw the Bronco and immediately thought, I’ve got to have it. Then I thought, I wonder how the well it will hold its value when I trade it in for another Jeep! Like many others here hope, I think the Bronco will push Jeep to be innovative and competitive.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Given the cost (>$50K MSRP is not all that hard to do) i imagine there are plenty of people who buy one because it looks cool then they drive it and realize it feels more like driving a pogo stick than a lazy boy.
Nicest smoothest quietest best climate stagecoach you will ever ride in!

We love both our jeeps,

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The problem with Wranglers, is that they’re Chryslers. Dumb stuff doesn’t work (electric steering, clutch) or breaks when it shouldn’t. These things do not magically add “jeep thing” charm. If you think “all cars have problems”, talk to a 4Runner owner.
That said, I immensely enjoy our JKUR, even though it left me stranded last summer- requiring a 400mi tow and engine replacement. I expect to ad a JT to the garage once the JK is paid for.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Do i regret buying my jeep? No, but like others on here have said you have to understand that its a jeep, its great for off-road but won't ride as nice as nearly anything else you can buy on road. It has limitations that other vehicles don't or only have to a lesser extent. Due to the solid axels and whatever tire/shock combination you choose it rides rougher than most vehicles. It'll also get worse gas mileage due to being shaped like a brick though mine actually got pretty good mileage. But, on the flip side of that it'll take you places off-road that most other vehicles can't go, you can take the top off and cruise around, and its a jeep so it looks awesome.

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
I've never regretted getting my Wrangler. Love, love, love it! The only regret I do have is that I didn't research the difference between the models better. In hindsight, I wish I had gone for the Rubicon over the Sahara. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sahara, but getting locking differentials and a heavier duty Front axle are really big off-road capability improvements. My Sahara has never gotten me stuck and is super capable off road, but more from a piece of mind perspective it would have been nice to get those upgrades on the Rubicon.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've never regretted getting my Wrangler. Love, love, love it! The only regret I do have is that I didn't research the difference between the models better. In hindsight, I wish I had gone for the Rubicon over the Sahara. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sahara, but getting locking differentials and a heavier duty Front axle are really big off-road capability improvements. My Sahara has never gotten me stuck and is super capable off road, but more from a piece of mind perspective it would have been nice to get those upgrades on the Rubicon.
That piece of mind is what drove me to the Rubicon.

One of my needs is to launch and recover a mid size boat, and often from poorly maintained or just dirt launch ramps. I'm not really a pickup truck fan. But Jeeps. Jeeps I like.

I used to launch this beast as a teen with an old 80's GMC safari. Rear wheel drive, open diffs, and sometimes had some trouble on steep and slick ramps. One time I had a group of friends literally pushing us up a ramp to try to get past the slippery bits while a popup thunderstorm raced in over the hills.

So to me, getting locking differentials ensured I wasn't going to drop $50+k and find myself stuck on a launch ramp, possibly alone and remote. With the price differential between the Sahara and Rubicon being small, and made effectively smaller by the Rubicon coming with snow-rated tires, it was really easy to make that leap.

So far though I haven't even needed 4hi for recovery. At least the rubi looks cooler, right?

I have one regret and one regret only. I need more money for mods.

hipfan39

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK 2 door willys, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Welder
Vehicle Showcase
Nope! Only think I regret are some options
Sponsored