Sponsored

Has any one tried a 16 inch rim on a jlu sport?

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Really like the look of the 16 inch rim with a 33 or 35 inch tire. I haven't seen anyone try this yet? I'm really doubting that 16s will fit as I'm sure many people would like them.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Really like the look of the 16 inch rim with a 33 or 35 inch tire. I haven't seen anyone try this yet? I'm really doubting that 16s will fit as I'm sure many people would like them.
@JIMBOX ran 16s on his JL, might shoot him a PM for details

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I just changed to AEV Pintler rims (17x8.5") and I can tell you they were very close to the caliper on my Rubicon. I'm not sure if sport brakes are smaller, but I'm thinking 17" might be the minimum. AEV stated that you can only use 0.25 ounce weights with the wheels which is what I instructed the tire shop. Since I brought the wheels and tires loose to the tire shop, I was the one to install on the Jeep. The first tire I pulled out of my truck a bunch of the wheel weights fell off because the rim was so slick (had to take them back to the tire shop), so I figured I would see if AEV was correct about using only 0.25 ounce weights. So I bolted up a wheel and checked it out and they are correct. Double stack weights or 0.50 will hit the caliper.

Publication3.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
The common rule is <12" rotors, 17"+ rim; >12" rotor, 16" rim.

I've been dealing with this same issue on my wife's 2020 Subaru Forester Sport. It comes standard 12.4" rotors. The fix I will be applying to fit 16" rims, smaller rotors in the front and different caliper support brackets. Lucky for me the 2020 Forester Base model comes with 11.6" front rotors and the matching support brackets. All told it will cost me around $250 and maybe 3hrs of work since I've never messed with calipers before. The calipers I have will work with the smaller setup, so save some money there.

I don't own my JLUD yet, so I couldn't tell you what rotors you should be downgrading to, and I already put about 20hrs of work into researching this for my wife's car, so best of luck, but the Rotors will be your solution.

In advance to any naysayer's, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma SR has 16" rims, with a 10.75" front rotors, with a max weight of 4,220lbs. The curb weight of the Unlimited Sport is 4,167lbs so you can imagine the stopping distance won't be greatly effected by smaller front brakes. If you can, keep your Calipers and save yourself hundreds of dollars! Just make sure they fit into the smaller Support Bracket. ;) :D