Hardtop Wiring Harness Kit Problems

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Dropped off the JLU Rubicon Jan 2nd for installation of the hardtop wiring kit and have the hardtop installed. JL only had a soft top when I purchased the Jeep. It’s a fairly lengthy procedure to complete the wiring, about 60 pages of instructions. Friday, they called and said the work was complete, but the BCM was not accepting the needed programming and giving multiple fault codes. They now have to wait until Monday to consult with the factory engineers. Has anyone had the 2018JL hardtop conversion kit installed and have any insights to the process. I feel sure they will get it right, but was just looking for some info.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Dropped off the JLU Rubicon Jan 2nd for installation of the hardtop wiring kit and have the hardtop installed. JL only had a soft top when I purchased the Jeep. It’s a fairly lengthy procedure to complete the wiring, about 60 pages of instructions. Friday, they called and said the work was complete, but the BCM was not accepting the needed programming and giving multiple fault codes. They now have to wait until Monday to consult with the factory engineers. Has anyone had the 2018JL hardtop conversion kit installed and have any insights to the process. I feel sure they will get it right, but was just looking for some info.
Just curious if the wiring kit comes with the rear wiper controls (stalk)? Will your hardtop include rear defroster and wiper?

Where did you purchase the hardtop?

OP
OP
Reactor111

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Kit has wiper stalk , wiring and washer hoses. Defroster wiring also. Everything works just like it came from factory. Purchased top from dealer when I bought the JL. Dealer called today and late Friday got the information needed to get the BCM programmed. I could have found the top cheaper from someone selling theirs, but I wanted everything under the warranty and I was not going to install the wiring myself. Adding pins to wiring connectors and such, are not my thing. And I would have to take it to a dealer anyway to program the BCM.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
The issue most likely is your bcm is not looking for a hardtop since it was never an option on your vehicle.. . If it was a factory softtop and thats all it was the bcm was not programmed to look for a hardtop or all the extra circuits involved in the conversion.... I would assume your bcm just needs to be reflashed with new software so the bcm can communicate with the hardtop

OP
OP
Reactor111

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Dealer was successful in getting needed information from tech support and got the BCM programmed for the hardtop. Only thing missing was the docking station for the electrical plug when the hardtop is off. Should have been in the installation kit.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Reactor111

I'm at a loss why the dealership made such a big deal about the typical computer flash needed when you install such a kit. Glad they got their heads out of their asses and got it done for you.

That "docking station" as you call it, available from Mopar and can be ordered. Just tell the dealer, you already paid for it, he owes you it, and to order it.

Careful with that "docking station", as guys here have broken it as it is not really, lets say durable.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
@Reactor111

I'm at a loss why the dealership made such a big deal about the typical computer flash needed when you install such a kit. Glad they got their heads out of their asses and got it done for you.

That "docking station" as you call it, available from Mopar and can be ordered. Just tell the dealer, you already paid for it, he owes you it, and to order it.

Careful with that "docking station", as guys here have broken it as it is not really, lets say durable.

It sounds like the dealer wasn't able to update the vehicles option code so all the added electronics would work properly.
They did the right thing by not giving him his jeep back until it was done.

If i recall correctly a couple of vehicle options need to be added then a vehcle reconfigure needs to be done. Very simple if the correct codes are added.

CBurrr23

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I also had the wiring kit installed by the dealership. Did you already have a rear defog button or did the dealership install a new temp control panel? My sport did not come with a defog button and I am being told there is no kit to make it work...
Sponsored